Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,760 times

Advertisements

This article claims that approval of plastic surgery in the states is at an all time high. If this is true why is there still so much outrage about celebrities and their procedures; ie, Madonna's face lift, Heidi Montag's 10 procedures in 1 day etc. What's the big deal?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/64921.phphttp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/64921.php (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
I'm against plastic surgery unless it's a valid need like birth defects or reconstructive surgery or breast reduction for back problems. Part of the problem with us becoming so accepting about plastic surgery is that it's led to younger and younger people getting it done even before their body has finished developing. If you want to look young for a long time then follow these easy steps
  1. don't smoke cigarettes
  2. don't abuse alcohol
  3. don't use illegal drugs
  4. don't get tan (sun or tanning booth)
  5. if you're a woman, don't wear lots of makeup. keep the skin clean
  6. drink plenty of water.
  7. do moderate daily exercise
The biggest of the bunch is at #1. The chemicals in cigarettes will, over time, wear away at the calogen around the mouth causing tell tail wrinkles around the mouth. This is most common in older women in the form of the verticle wrinkles of the mouth from constantly sucking on the cigarette. Abusing alcohol and using illegal drugs will age you as well,...especially if it's meth or crack. A little time in the sun is healthy. Regular tanning to keep bronze will lead to leather skin. Skin must breath. Go with a natural healthy glow. If you must wear make-up, it's always better to go with too little than too much. Some make-up can cause pimple breakouts. Staying hydrated helps make the skin look fuller. Good muscle tone helps with an erect posture and a spring in your step rather than stooped over and dragging your feet.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,760 times
That is all good and well sailordave but the most popular procedures in the states aren't anti aging ones... except for Botox. The most popular procedures are ones that change a feature, like your nose or boobs...
Plastic Surgery-Most Common Plastic Surgery

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
That is all good and well sailordave but the most popular procedures in the states aren't anti aging ones... except for Botox. The most popular procedures are ones that change a feature, like your nose or boobs...
Plastic Surgery-Most Common Plastic Surgery
I'm OK with boobs if it's a breast reduction surgery. They cause much pain and suffering to the woman over time. Nose jobs only if in cases of birth defects or badly damaged like in a fight or a wreck. Some nose jobs are also for helping the person to breath. Remember the girl who played Baby in Dirty Dancing and also played Ferris Bueler's sister in Ferris Bueler's Day Off? She had a nose job and people didn't recognize her anymore. Her nose was distinctive and she was still very cute. After her nose job, she was just like all the other plastic people in Hollywood. Perhaps those people should focus on improving their mind before cutting into their body.
I dated a woman with plastic breast. Nice to look at but not good to play with. Whether flat, floppy, fully, big, or small; give me the real thing baby.
Oh, one other case of plastic surgery I agree with is when someone uses natural methods to loose a lot of weight and is left with a large amount of skin to be removed.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,997,166 times
It's probably because people want to see "natural, youthful" celebs, knowing in the back of their minds that Hollywood is anything but "natural". I guess people don't like the idea of body parts unnaturally changing.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,988,358 times
Generally, if I can afford it, I'm for it.
If I cannot afford it, I'm against it.

Seriously, I wish there were a way of knowing whose face was done by which surgeon. Some celebs look as though they got their doc from a bargain basement. Some are overdone. Some just may have ventured out into the public too soon after getting 'done' and the skin is still too taught.

The way to go is, not only get the best doctor you can, but to take the more expensive route, getting a little done at a time. This way you can judge the work and how your body is responding as you go along and tweak and add things gradually.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
bascially i thnik people are free to choose which is good. its like people spendign their moneyon any other thing really.It definite is on the rpswing tho as it was quite rare except for corection i the recent past.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,422,447 times
I'm for it.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
I'm all for doing whatever makes a person happy and makes a person look or feel better than in their current state. It's a personal decision. I will admit to having some work. After pregnancy and breastfeeding, I wasn't happy with my sh*t dragging on the floor behind me as I walked - or having to roll my sh*t up to stuff it in my bra. Sure, I was a pretty decent size - but length doesn't count! LOL Nor is the flat-as-a-pancake look, hanging to your knees attractive to most people. I needed to have everything put back on my chest - where it belonged! I have no regrets.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,282,951 times
It probably is a polarizing issue. I think a lot of people who are not against it, in general, have some negative feelings if it seems in their mind, excessive or unwarranted. Obviously, this is all a matter of opinion what is "excessive." Over the years I have come to have a more favorable opinion of plastic surgery, but I am one of those who start looking a bit askance when someone feels the need to have multiple procedures or surgery time and time again. But this is just my opinion, and everyone's different. Like Twinkle Toes said, above, I'm pretty much cool these days with whatever makes someone happy, but again, I do have limits where I think the person has just gotten "too nitpicky" about their personal appearance and would be better served by just being more self-accepting and chill out about some of their perceived "imperfections." I have never had any plastic surgery personally. I wouldn't rule it out, but in general, I don't like the idea of "elective" pain.

Also, let me hasten to add...people should consider the risks of any elective surgery. I have a friend from church who died from an embolism following liposuction. It's very sobering to remember that. She was about 44 years old. Not saying don't do it, but consider that there is risk involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty