Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,408,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
But, is that really the answer? Bank on your looks allowing you to become a legally-sanctioned freeloader?

So much for women's rights.

No wonder so many men are worried about gold diggers. Sheesh.
I wish I could rep you again, good points. The women who fought for women's rights back in the day would be turning in their graves if they read some of the nonsense posted here. I also don't blame other men for being weary of such women. It is freeloading. If the boot were on the other foot and a man was intentionally financially dependent on a woman, he would be called a loser. Women who do this intentionally and are not home taking care of children are losers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,869,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sure. Awesome goal...become a beautiful woman with fake everything to catch a rich guy. Or...go to college...get a degree...be smart...and have the confidence you can support yourself and kick any man to the curb....or...have fake boobs...and basically be a prostitute.

I was married to a rich man once...it was not worth it.
The thing is men know those beautiful women are gold diggers and yet they still want to marry them vs a below average woman with plenty of degrees.

Once he marries a gold digger she becomes his wife anyway.
I don't consider a housewife a prostitute.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Those women are winners either way. If the husband gets a new wife...the "old" wife still gets free money, a house and possibly interest in the husband's retirement and investments. There's reason a lot of high-income people don't bother getting divorced.

Sooo...even when these attractive women get "replaced," they're still better off than a lot of us.
Yes,true.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I wish I could rep you again, good points. The women who fought for women's rights back in the day would be turning in their graves if they read some of the nonsense posted here. I also don't blame other men for being weary of such women. It is freeloading. If the boot were on the other foot and a man was intentionally financially dependent on a woman, he would be called a loser. Women who do this intentionally and are not home taking care of children are losers too.
I never mentioned a rich man, I mentioned finding a middle or working class man.
Even middle class and working class men want a trophy wife,whether she has a degree or not.
It is the truth. Lots of men(regardless of class) would marry the beautiful woman without a high school diploma vs the unattractive woman with the Phd.

Men aside,women judge other women on looks too. Otherwise age an weight discrimination wouldn't exist.
The thread is about being treated better overall. I have had men and women yell derogatory things at me.
Others just act like I don't exist,like cashiers not speaking to me(eve though they greeted other customers),to my relatives walking ahead of me because they don't want to be seen with me.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The OP has never said she's looking to marry a rich man. She's looking for someone who is her earning equal or thereabouts. Life is easier with a teammate -- and not every spouse is that. You have to still pick wisely, man or woman.

I am scheduled for upper & lower blepharoplasty in a few months. I am doing it to improve my appearance to keep me more employable as I'm reaching the point that age discrimination in hiring is something I need to be aware of in my working life going forward. I'm an average looking woman overall. I'm still getting certificates and updating skills, but when evenly matched skills-wise, almost all employers are going to go for the younger applicant unless I can convince them through my personality and the employer's perception that I'm energetic and vibrant and not looking at the position as a placekeeper until I retire.

My sister is a couple of years older than I am and does not dye her hair, nor has she updated her makeup and her clothes look dated. She's also on a first name basis with working astronauts, has lots of extra lab equipment and training that move with her to a new school, is well liked and respected by her peers and students, and yet she's been trying to find a better teaching job for three years now, and she walks in and the principal sees the hair, the clothes, the raccoon eyes, and 10 minutes later the interview is over and no offer. I've spoken to her about updating her look at least until she gets the job and she is starting to consider it. I'm hoping she'll let me do a full update make-over for her soon.

I can understand the OP not wanting to post pictures of herself because of how attacking of her statements some of the other people in this discussion have been. But I am not going to dismiss the OP's evaulation of her own features and her own experiences because of them.

Even to become employed in the first place there still is discrimination based on looks.
In these tough economic times,I don't think its wise to underestimate the fact that looks don't play a part.
Sonetimes I wonder if that's the case with the chronically unemployed.
I guess I get by in my career because they need my skills more than my looks,for now anyway.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
He's male. Maybe he likes larger chests? I know plenty of men who could care less about a larger chest.

Truth is, my husband and I were casual work friends for many months before we started dating. He got to know me pretty well. He knew I came with baggage (kids and a crazy ex). He's hung around all this time. I do think there's far more to a decent relationship than looks.

Have you considered that you're using your looks as a scapegoat here to explain why you've not landed a man who can pay your way?

Maybe your looks have very little to do with it.
...Sorry. No.

As a guy, I can admit it. Looks matter.

Now for some of us (Such as myself) looks arn't enough.

I've dumped several 'airheads' but I will admit that my current GF (Getting her PHD) had a decided advantage with her surgically advanced chest (And I'm more a leg and ***** man)
-And I'll note I was making 6 figures at the time. (And expect to be back to it shortly)

One before that with a Masters in Tax was a cute little blond (Think cheerleader)

of the 2 before that (Both PHD candidates) one was surgically enhanced...

It helps.
(Wow, I never realized I seem to go after women with advanced degrees)

All of us, guys AND gals are shallow...

I've been ripped, got hurt and out of shape and then got back into decent shape (Not 'paid to work out' like before) and I can ASSURE you... the:
"I'm a Ripped Marine" look gets MUCH more flattering attention!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
I agree with Themanwithnoname.

People do not want an ugly monster to come home to.
People do not want a disabled cripple to come home to.
People do not want a lazy bastard to come home to.
People do not want a poor loser to come home to.
People do not want a crazy alcoholic to come home to.
People do not want a fat slob to come home to.
People do not want a healthcare siphon to come home to.
People do not want a Walmart shopper to come home to.
People do not want a retard to come home to.
People do not want a <insert adjective here> to come home to.

We all judge someone one way or another when selecting a significant person. We all have our preferences. You try your best to identify general preferences and position yourself according to what you feel will help you achieve your goals.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,433,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,true.
Sadly I know it is true because I had the misfortune of earning more than my ex-husband. I totally know how the system works...unfortunately.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,792,385 times
Looks are nice, but they don't last. What are you going to do when the man who fell for your plastic face and body decides to move on to greener, younger pastures?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Looks are nice, but they don't last. What are you going to do when the man who fell for your plastic face and body decides to move on to greener, younger pastures?
You get the home,money from the joint bank account,and alimony.
Sounds nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty