Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 PM

102,392 posts, read 108,733,005 times

Advertisements

Oh no, not another one of these! This depends so much on the individual woman, that it's pretty meaningless. Some women mature into their looks in the mid-30's or 40's. Some women have baby faces and look like kids through their 30's and 40's. Some have medical issues in their youth that they finally straighten out later in life, and they get hot-looking. Others fit the mold. These one-size-fits-all kind of studies really do nothing to enhance our understanding of the diversity of human experience. But...something tells me they're not intended to.

Where's the article that says some men start losing their hair at 18, and by 40+ they're looking geezerly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 PM

744 posts, read 1,855,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh no, not another one of these! This depends so much on the individual woman, that it's pretty meaningless. Some women mature into their looks in the mid-30's or 40's. Some women have baby faces and look like kids through their 30's and 40's. Some have medical issues in their youth that they finally straighten out later in life, and they get hot-looking. Others fit the mold. These one-size-fits-all kind of studies really do nothing to enhance our understanding of the diversity of human experience. But...something tells me they're not intended to.

Where's the article that says some men start losing their hair at 18, and by 40+ they're looking geezerly?

I am telling you!! It is ridiculous that we are still having this conversation this day in age. It is just like you said, everyone is different. Some 20 years olds are hot and some aren't. Some 35 year olds are hot and some aren't. It depends on the person, not the age. Why do so many people still not get this???

Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM

24,166 posts, read 32,723,928 times
I don't agree. However I do think this - most woman who are actually attractive with good genetic peak in their 30s.

Counter intuitive to the popular belief that woman in their late teens - early 20s are the most beautiful.

In fact, I think almost every woman has her 15 minutes of beauty around then. No biggie.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,484,168 times
I had a six pack in my twenties but I was selfish and dumb as a box of rocks... I like myself much better now than I did then looks aside. With that, I find older women (and speaking from the viewpoint of a woman in her 30's) to be very attractive... like Iman and Diane Lane's of the world. There's something about the confidence and wisdom that can only be attained with age that I find to be alluring. Yes as we women get older we lose the taunt of our skin, but we all do (if we're lucky enough to grow old). You can "peak" in beauty in your 20's/30's/40's but really... why does that even matter? None of us are thrilled with the issues of growing old but that doesn't mean you have to roll over and die because society thinks you're done for because you "peaked" in beauty... that only applies in Hollywood (and we all know Hollywood is the embodiment of esoteric types). Beauty is relative.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM

571 posts, read 1,206,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think I just learned how to put on makeup and style hair better
Some women grow into their own. They've tried so many hairstyles, perms, colors - they finally find what they look best in. Same with clothes. And yes, age also reduces facial fat, which for some may result in a "hallow" look, but in women with great bone structure - it can give them quite a beautiful, elegant look (think Sophia Lauren).

Some women do look better with age. Healthy lifestyle and genes dictate most of it.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,028,694 times
I am probably biased, but I am improving with age.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I had a six pack in my twenties but I was selfish and dumb as a box of rocks... I like myself much better now than I did then looks aside. With that, I find older women (and speaking from the viewpoint of a woman in her 30's) to be very attractive... like Iman and Diane Lane's of the world. There's something about the confidence and wisdom that can only be attained with age that I find to be alluring. Yes as we women get older we lose the taunt of our skin, but we all do (if we're lucky enough to grow old). You can "peak" in beauty in your 20's/30's/40's but really... why does that even matter? None of us are thrilled with the issues of growing old but that doesn't mean you have to roll over and die because society thinks you're done for because you "peaked" in beauty... that only applies in Hollywood (and we all know Hollywood is the embodiment of esoteric types). Beauty is relative.

Again, 30s is not "older." Middle age begins at 40. We need to get out of this idea that 30 is old or middle age.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,846,214 times
While I agree that there are many attractive women in their 30s you never hear of men divorcing their wife for an "older model" it's always for a younger woman if he has options. Of course he could dump his wife in her 40s for a woman in her 30s. The general pattern is trading older for younger so there must be some truth that younger women look better.

BTW I'm not defending these guys that trade in for "younger models". Yes they could be jerks or going through a middle aged crisis, I'm just saying that behavior exists and tells us something about age and looks.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Of course he could dump his wife in her 40s for a woman in her 30s.
Actually it happens all of the time. It has also been ingrained into popular culture through television and movie adaptions. Examples: The Reba show and the New Adventures of Old Christine. Both shows feature middle age housewives whos husbands left them for women in their early 30s.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,524,593 times
Interesting how the original article is not available anymore.

And that's a good thing.

Women don't need ridiculous articles to make them devalue themselves because they're not 25 anymore.

In this era, women don't watch the clock anymore, with each birthday we just suck it up, and carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty