Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM

442 posts, read 615,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I wouldn't say lose their looks. I'd say women (and men) lose a certain type of look at that age.

IF you're attractive at 20 and keep yourself in moderately good shape; don't smoke or eat too much, you'll still be attractive, you'll just look different.

This goes for both men and women.

This is an extreme example, but if you've ever seen someone on meth, they look instantly 10-15 years older. There have been some people in their early to mid 20's who've looked like they were 40.

Conversely I've seen some women, who've worked out who were in their 50's who could easily pass for mid 30's.
Working out doesn't really affect how you age in your face though, and your face is the most likely to show the effects of aging related to sun exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 AM

517 posts, read 999,354 times
my mom stayed young looking when shereached 35 she didn't love over 20 at all. mnow she looks about 22 23 24 something like that. She's getting older but not enough yet to look old

Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
by definition, beauty is youth, then things change, the values ​​the claims ...the satisfactions, also become different the way in which ppl give meaning to the life-things around us .... everything changes with age, better or worse... it is just an individual choice

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Those old Spice Girls looked pretty darn good last night!!!! . They didn't look like hey were in their 20s, but I thought they looked hot!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
I dont understand the concern. Age is only a number. I am sorry to single you out Amanda. Look at for example Amanda08, no offense intended, but she is obviously an older lady but she has an outstanding physique. Everyone ages, how well depends on you, not the silly number. Eating properly, exercising and getting your sleep are obvious benefits....case in point Amanda.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM

36 posts, read 53,964 times
I'm 68 but look 23...

Seriously people get over yourselves. People always look 5+- their real age. Some people age better than other but they never look 10 years younger. Maybe at a fast glance but that's it. Aging gracefully does not equal looking younger.

We all gonna age and look like 80 year olds at some point. Looking younger is impossible. You can only look like you had a good facelift but a 40 year old doesn't have the features of a 25 year old. No fillers can fix that. We need to get rid of all these unattainable goals society has been creating lately. My grandmothers never had to worry about looking younger why should I? Why do I have kill myself at the gym, be ridicously underweight like Madonna, hold a job, be the perfect mother and wife when my my granma all the had to worry about was cooking? No wonder people are so unhappy now days.

/ end rant.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Nope. At the 20-year reunion (37 or 38 years old), most of the women in my class still had their looks. Many looked better. The slide occurred somewhere after that milestone.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
What is "real beauty"?
In my youth, it was all about the looks. She could be there like a model talking about eyeliner and i was happy. In time, i realized that yes i still desired a beautiful woman, but intelligence and confidence were far more attractive than having a limited person talking about senseless stuff.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times

Jennifer Aniston
Salma Hayek
Sofia Vergara
Susan Sarandon
Demi Moore
Sharon Stone
Vanessa Williams
Courtney Cox

All over not 35 but 40(50 and 60 in some cases)and still smoking. And before you say these are just celebrities, I will also let you know that I also know quite a few women over 40 in my local area that are still hot. It is more about taking care of yourself more than anything.

Besides I don't think everyone loses their looks. It just depends on the person. Some people actually lose their looks in their teens and twenties and some don't lose their looks at all. Some were not ever attractive at all. Is everyone under 35 attractive?? Not from what I have seen, but the media tries to make it sound that way. An attractive 60 year old woman or man probably won't look good to your average 20 year old, but they might to another 60 year old. It is all relative. Do you have to be found hot by a 20 year old for it to count or something?? We have a lot more technology at our disposal these days and more anti-aging research is being done. Times change. In the medieval times, if you weren't married with children by 18 you were seen as a dried up old maid.

We are still largely stuck in a 1950 mindset here in America and we really need to get out of that and move into the 21st century. Same with some other parts of the world.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, I don't think any of us dispute the importance of taking care of your skin, moisturizing, lots of fluids, diet filled with deep green leafy vegetables and avoiding the sun, however, at the end of the day, you can't run away from time. I do all those things, and I look mid-20s while I'm already 32, but even so, I see some laugh lines starting to form around my eyes.
Aging gracefully doesn't mean that you have to be in denial that eventually you will have wrinkles all over your face, anything less than that will lead to either being overly obssessive with your looks or spending tons of money on surgery and Botox (not that there is anything wrong with it).

On another note, I have no interest in using Retinoids, my virgin coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer and the excessive usage of sunscreen can be even more damaging in the long run.
I have no problem with people using the latest technologies to look younger. Some people can handle aging, some can't. It all depends on the person. Lets face facts, we live in a youth obsessed society. More anti-aging research is being done as we speak and we have seen new breakthroughs in the last few years, especially with stem cell research. No, I don't see any technology coming along in our lifetime that will give us like immortality, and we will all no doubt face old age sometime, but lets fact facts, 35 is awful young these days. Too young to lose your looks unless you don't take care of yourself. We are really stuck in a 19th century mindset about your 30s and we need to join the 21st century. Like I said before, 18 was once considered old in the middle ages.

BTW, the link in the OP doesn't take me to the actual article.

Last edited by brajohns81; 08-16-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty