Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,847,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
I did the Ashton Kutcher thing and dated women in their 40s when I was in my 20s. Piff is spot on though, while I've met some rare cases where I was able to snag a J-Lo type, even then, they LOOK THEIR AGE (Good for their age, really good for their age, but they did NOT look 25, nor would you mistake them for anything in their 20s).

There simply is no competition. You either want to date older women, or you don't. But lookswise, even with all of the money in the world, you can look great for your age, maybe be mistaken for +/- 5 years, but that's about it.

Mila Kunis is 29, fairly young, but she does NOT look the same as she did at 18.

Comparing a 45 yr old woman to a 25 yr old is like comparing a 6'5 man to a 5'5 man. Two different leagues.
You know, since when did looking 25 equate to beauty?? Is every 25 year old hot??

Not where I live.

BTW, I had a friend once who's mom was 44, but looked 24. Everyone agreed that she could pass for mid 20s and was always shocked to find out she was in her mid 40s. She may have been one in a million, but that at least proves it can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Yes, but where are you seeing these people?? Where do you live?? I see attractive women in their 30s quite a bit where I live(yes I'm a guy), about as often as attractive twenty-somethings. These therapies are coming out as we speak, so get ready. Plus there are advertisements all of the time for ones already on the market.

BTW, most teens and twenty somethings in the real world don't look like the stars and other glamour pusses in the media either. At least not where I'm at. In fact, most people ll around who aren't rich and famous are average looking and are average people, regardless of age.
I live in the NY metro area. The average 35 year old I come into contact with (which is often being I'm in the age bracket) looks 35 give or take a few years. Doesn't mean there aren't attractive 35 year olds, but there's no mistaking them for 20 somethings. If anything, I've made the mistake of assuming a number of them were much older.

Therapies are coming out, but does that mean it will be in reach cost wise for the average person??? Even now, the cost of botox, fillers and laser procedures are unattainable for the average person.

Quote:
I did the Ashton Kutcher thing and dated women in their 40s when I was in my 20s. Piff is spot on though, while I've met some rare cases where I was able to snag a J-Lo type, even then, they LOOK THEIR AGE (Good for their age, really good for their age, but they did NOT look 25, nor would you mistake them for anything in their 20s).

There simply is no competition. You either want to date older women, or you don't. But lookswise, even with all of the money in the world, you can look great for your age, maybe be mistaken for +/- 5 years, but that's about it.

Mila Kunis is 29, fairly young, but she does NOT look the same as she did at 18.

Comparing a 45 yr old woman to a 25 yr old is like comparing a 6'5 man to a 5'5 man. Two different leagues.
Yeah! You tell them Walter! We should just take all the 45+ year old women and 5'5" or shorter men and take them out back and shoot them to take them and the rest of society out of misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Ok, so you are from another generation.

BTW, what is your response to the rest of my post?
I'm not arguing that a 35+ woman can't be attractive. I'd like to think I'm one of them. But I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking I look 25 to myself or to others.

And if 30 - 45 year olds can be more attractive than 20 somethings, how come we never see any in beauty pageants?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:

Walter, you seem very hung up on the perceived inferiority of short men. Are you a very short man?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

And if 30 - 45 year olds can be more attractive than 20 somethings, how come we never see any in beauty pageants?
Beauty pageants tend to have explicit age ceilings. Of about 25. So they can't enter if they wanted.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM

499 posts, read 756,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Walter, you seem very hung up on the perceived inferiority of short men. Are you a very short man?
It doesn't really matter how tall or short I am, but I won't disclose my height, because the fact that I am an Anti-Heightist activist would lead you to believe that I was really, really short. I'm just telling it how it is.

If I said I was 5'8, you'd say "Oh you have nothing to complain about, stop your nonsense!". If I said I was "5'2, you'd say, definitely Napoleon Complex, really hung up and butt hurt, poor little man".

For all you know, I could be 6'1 and sticking up for my "shrimpy little brother".

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
I'm actually not very short at all, but I won't disclose myself, because the fact that I am an Anti-Heightist activist would lead you to believe that I was really really short. I'm just telling it how it is.

If I were 5'8, you'd say "Oh you have nothing to complain about, stop your nonsense!". If I said I was "5'2, you'd say, definitely Napoleon Complex, really hung up and butt hurt, poor little man".

For all you know, I could be 6'1 and sticking up for my little shrimpy brother.
It was a question, not an accusation. And I don't think you know what a Napoleon Complex is (hint: it doesn't involve whining about being short).

You just seem to relate every topic back to how hard it is being a short man, even when the thread has nothing to do with heightism. You seem obsessive. Regardless of your height, my response would be about the same: Oh, hush up already! Even the women who are vocal about their height requirements in a man would break down for the right guy and plenty of women don't give two hoots what your height is. You can't do anything about the genes you were born with so instead of whining about how hard it is to be you, why not focus on the positive parts of being you and the things you can control in life. Because no body wants to be around a man who blames all his problems in life on his height.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Beauty pageants tend to have explicit age ceilings. Of about 25. So they can't enter if they wanted.
And why do you think that is?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
And why do you think that is?
Too much competition.

They don't want an Ernestine Shepard on their hands. (She's a 75 year old body builder and still wins!)

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM

FWIW, the study originally posted was done by a cosmetic company (SK-II) in Japan.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 AM

499 posts, read 756,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Too much competition.

They don't want an Ernestine Shepard on their hands. (She's a 75 year old body builder and still wins!)
And she STILL looks 75 or so. Great for her 70s, but I would not mistake her for a 45 yr old lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty