Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:04 PM

260 posts, read 575,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Being tortured for five years will do that to you.
McCain has also allowed the media to believe that his torture lasted for the entire time he was in Hanoi. At the Republican convention, Fred Thompson said of McCain's torture, "For five and a half years this went on." In fact, McCain's torture ended after two years, when the death of Ho Chi Minh in September 1969 caused the Vietnamese to change the way they treated POWs. "They decided it would be better to treat us better and keep us alive so they could trade us in for real estate," Butler recalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,233,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
....McCain.

Why? Quite a few reasons. I've thought about the people each man will call to serve in his administration. They are both surrounded by and have access to powerful and intelligent people. That might be a push.

I've thought about the balance of power; checks and balances as defined by our constitution. I don't like Nancy Pelosi and all she stands for and I don't want Congress to have a rubber-stamp relationship with a POTUS--and I think this will happen with Obama. So score one for McCain there.

But the biggie? As ambivalent as I am about the war in Iraq and as much as I wish we could just un-involve ourselves with little consequence--well I just don't think this can be done. And if Obama gets in office, decimates the military, eliminates the middle class and for all intents and purposes, changes the United States as we know it today from a formidable but benevelent country to one without power---well, it's going to unleash chaos in the world.

Right now, we may not be winning any popularity contests but I firmly believe a LOT of individual nutcases, organized terrorist cells, corrupt and power hungry countries, etc., are held in check by the "big bully across the pond". What would happen if they no longer feared the military power of the United States? I don't want to think about that.

So even though I fear that Obama will win this election and change the world as we know it today, I will be voting for McCain on November 4.

Good decision and you are right on all counts.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,660,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Powells endorsemant is very confusing, Afterall he was a insider and one of the biggest backers of going in to Iraq. Might reflect his personal limits having been thru the military structured life and that was were he reached his peak.

I dont think he was ever one of the biggest backers of going into Iraq, in fact, I think he probably was forced to go along like many others.

Eventually his refusal to go along any further with the neocon war criminals made him resign with the personal honor he would no longer sacrifice

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,151,466 times
Quote:
Now wait. I don't like you like THAT! LOL. But I love your comments and your thinking!
I know. Same here.

Quote:
Only a racist would think that.
Only a race baiter would say that.

Name me a white liberal democrat with virtually no experience that you could imagine Powell endorsing. He telegraphed months ago when he said it would be electrifying to have an AA president.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I dont think he was ever one of the biggest backers of going into Iraq, in fact, I think he probably was forced to go along like many others.

Eventually his refusal to go along any further with the neocon war criminals made him resign with the personal honor he would no longer sacrifice
Now, this here is revisionist history to the hilt. The Left absolutely hated Powell for his complicity in the Iraq war. They blamed him for going to the UN and sealing the deal with his credentials and his clout.

Now they love him.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,086,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

YouTube - President Clinton orders Bombing of Iraq's Nuclear Biological & Chemical Weapons Program

YouTube - Colin Powell: The Speech that led to WAR 1/8

Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 14,019,616 times
Quote:
Now, this here is revisionist history to the hilt. The Left absolutely hated Powell for his complicity in the Iraq war. They blamed him for going to the UN and sealing the deal with his credentials and his clout.

Now they love him.
And this surprises you because???

Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,841,758 times
OP thanks for voting. I could care less how people vote, I do care that people vote.

Quote:
Powell would never have endorsed a white liberal democrat. Period. Race, all the way, baby.
That is arguably the most ridiculous thing that I've heard this election season. Thanks for posting rush "I need another pill" limbaughs reaction to this endorsement.

Do the McCainiacs have any individual thoughts anymore, or does the extreme nutjob right wing media do the thinking for you?

Please carry on and call out a decorated war hero and life long civil servant as a racist. Pathetic smear-mongering is going to be the death of the repubs hopefully.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
And this surprises you because???
Not surprised. Just correcting the record.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM

260 posts, read 575,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
McCain has also allowed the media to believe that his torture lasted for the entire time he was in Hanoi. At the Republican convention, Fred Thompson said of McCain's torture, "For five and a half years this went on." In fact, McCain's torture ended after two years, when the death of Ho Chi Minh in September 1969 caused the Vietnamese to change the way they treated POWs. "They decided it would be better to treat us better and keep us alive so they could trade us in for real estate," Butler recalls.
Soon after McCain hit the ground in Hanoi, the code went out the window. "I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital," he later admitted pleading with his captors. McCain now insists the offer was a bluff, designed to fool the enemy into giving him medical treatment. In fact, his wounds were attended to only after the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a Navy admiral. What has never been disclosed is the manner in which they found out: McCain told them. According to Dramesi, one of the few POWs who remained silent under years of torture, McCain tried to justify his behavior while they were still prisoners. "I had to tell them," he insisted to Dramesi, "or I would have died in bed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections