Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,633,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Presidents aren't engineers. Wanting something to be accomplished for political reasons will not overcome physical barriers.

The Missile Defense Space Test Bed | Union of Concerned Scientists
Twenty-five years after Reagan's Star Wars speech | Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

The "star wars" program tried to "buy" thousands of scientists in the reagan years and failed.

How can you not argue costs when you are talking about spending up to a Trillion dollars with no guarantee of success? If that kind of money was spent on alternative fuels and you still paid four dollars/gallon at the pump would you not be upset? Are we under an imminent nuclear threat that would require such spending? If so should we be building nuclear power plants that are protected by minimum wage security guards?

and finally an editorial on Teller"
Cookie Absent

It isn't 1985.
Duly noted and thanks for the articles.

I worked for General Dynamics Advanced Technology Systems. I know how advanced the military systems are compared to civilian and many times civilian technology are birthed in military funding.

I'm also not a big believer in the if we don't build it no one else will. But if we do it forces others to. We have our military superiority because we are willing to invest. Although start wars may never come to light it has taken decades of research to get to where we are today. It has spawned off some useful tools to the civilian base. Although I'm not as educated as you are I still believe R&D is key to our national security and our technology base.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is hopefully understanding what matter is with the CERN experiments although they have been delayed due to tech. difficulties. I have a feeling the experiments will open up huge new horizons in "energy". I'm not sure they would ever be commercialized because people couldn't make a profit. I have a strong feeling there is massive amount of energy holding matter together and there is only one way to find out that we know of. Maybe the experiments will show us new ways or things unimaginable maybe it will fail in a firey ball of atoms.

Anyways I appreciate you taking the time to reply in a respectable manner. Sometimes on here you don't know if you will get your head chewed off because you have a dissenting POV.

This may give a tiny bit better insight as to why I feel the way I do.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...ity/hl1078.cfm

In technical terms I would be one of those neoconservatives people speak of.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-20-2008 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,767,383 times
[quote=brokerdave;5769582]I agree. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I still don't like mccain. I just think obama is too dangerous with no experience administrating anything. I have built several successful business over the years. Obama knows just enough to get himself into trouble. That means he will embarrass American time and time again on a global level. I do not have any foriegn policy experience, Biden doesn't either. He sat on a board and listened to people testify. If you want to talk about biden for once, he had to remove himself from the democratic nomination a few elections ago for plagarism. lol.

His wife telling him what to do hardly entitles him to being his own man, lol.

Most politicians don't stop because of their wives and there are plenty who didn't want their husbands to be president. I respect that his wife is more important to him. And the fact that he had a career as a general means he most likely wasn't there much for his wife in the past so, no, your response doesn't play.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,767,383 times
[quote=brokerdave;5769582]I agree. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I still don't like mccain. I just think obama is too dangerous with no experience administrating anything. I have built several successful business over the years. Obama knows just enough to get himself into trouble. That means he will embarrass American time and time again on a global level. I do not have any foriegn policy experience, Biden doesn't either. He sat on a board and listened to people testify. If you want to talk about biden for once, he had to remove himself from the democratic nomination a few elections ago for plagarism. lol.

His wife telling him what to do hardly entitles him to being his own man, lol.

Most politicians don't stop running for office because of their wives and there are plenty of wives who didn't want their husbands to be president. I respect the fact that his wife is more important to him. And the fact that he had a career as a general means he most likely wasn't there much for his wife in the past so, no, your response doesn't play.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM

5,067 posts, read 10,184,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good for you. With that kind of rationale, it's obvious you are among the many who have their feet firmly planted in the air.

Strength can be derived by many means, not just military might. We live a far more sophisticated society than WWII times. But leave it to the Republicans to maintain that the only way to maintain peace is to build up the military at the expense of everything else. We police the world, but are selective in our "humanitarian" aid. Be a lapdog for Israel, but shun our own inner cities. Place ourselves in Afghanistan and Iraq, places where we don't belong, yet ignore the greater atrocities in Africa. Pour billions into a failed military strategy and a surge, while our economy goes into a free fall. Bigger guns don't defeat ideologies. This country is bleeding to death because of the incredibly pour judgment and decision-making of the idiots in power the last 8 years: Republicans.

About Iraq, we need to get the hell out of there, no question. We are in a part of the world we know nothing about. It would take someone like Obama to resolve the differences without causing this country to bleed to death.

So vote for McCain and be part of the problem. What a waste.
Are you suggesting we don't need a military?
How is the surge a failure? Even Obama, however reluctantly, agreed it was not.

Our economy's current woes was due to democrats who refused to admit there was a problem and opposed necessary regulations.

How are we going to successfully make a difference in unstable countries where everybody is fighting everybody? I would agree to using intelligence to pinpoint sources of negative Islamic influence in those countries. In fact, I believe we've already had a few such missions.
I do agree with McCain that it's a waste of money to send aid to countries that neither appreciate it, and indeed, may be a fuel to corrupt politicians or other leaders. Countries like Zimbabwe are in terrible shape. The last president elected by a landslide, yet the opposition refuses to concede. The life expectancy is about 36. The economy is experiencing hyperinflation. Is it our job to fix this?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,296,500 times
Yes, McCain is the man. His leadership will be one of NOT talking to our enemies. Looking angry and grumpy at political conferences with other nations. If McCain doesn't like you, HE'S NOT AFRAID TO SHOW IT! No matter what the political consequences. Other nations and their political leaders, like Spain, need to know we think they are our enemies.

And whatever impulsive plan McCain likes today, he'll just as impulsively change in a day or two.

It's comforting to know that he will keep the middle to lower classes where they belong--at the bottom. And should I win the lottery, then I can look forward to him looking out for me.

Yes, our future President should be a grumpy, flip-floppin, rich suckup.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,314,521 times
I love how the OP says I some what leaning to Obama then proceeds to go on the typical Republican rant. You really thought you were cleaver enough to act like a middle of the road voter? If this is who McCain has as his fans base then Obama has to win, god help us with these people in charge.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,118,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post

I do agree with McCain that it's a waste of money to send aid to countries that neither appreciate it, and indeed, may be a fuel to corrupt politicians or other leaders. Countries like Zimbabwe are in terrible shape. The last president elected by a landslide, yet the opposition refuses to concede. The life expectancy is about 36. The economy is experiencing hyperinflation. Is it our job to fix this?
You know what's interesting? McCain is getting blasted for his comment about refusing aid to countries that don't appreciate it or use it correctly.

Bono said the same thing and was hailed by the press for his humanitarian efforts.

I'm a huge Bono (and U2) fan--not so much a McCain fan. But how does one guy get lambasted and the other praised for almost identical comments? Should we get McCain a guitar? If he's a rock star, perhaps his comments will be received better by the press.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,296,500 times
Default Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Ive angered over this all morning, and Ive decided that Im going to vote for.......Pizza, instead of roasted chicken tonight. Shew, that was a tough one.
Well, I changed my mind at the last moment...After considering what pizza has done to me year after year to my waistline, and complexion, our family had roasted chicken. Roasted chicken is a healthy choice for the most part. Half dark meat/half white meat....but all delicious. I think we made the right decision. Pizza taste good at first but leave you thirsty and gassy for the rest of the night.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM

493 posts, read 721,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post

So even though I fear that Obama will win this election and change the world as we know it today, I will be voting for McCain on November 4.
This statement alone tells me that you were for McCain all along. Who are you trying to kid here???

Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 AM

493 posts, read 721,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I love how the OP says I some what leaning to Obama then proceeds to go on the typical Republican rant. You really thought you were cleaver enough to act like a middle of the road voter? If this is who McCain has as his fans base then Obama has to win, god help us with these people in charge.
Thank you and exactly We can see em' from a mile away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections