Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Well, since I didn't call myself a racist (other posters did that), I can't say I'm using the race card. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that Colin Powell, a man I *used* to highly respect when he was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, is more likely using the race card than I am.

I started to think about Powell's endorsement. It occurred to me that while he was extremely effective at his job as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and his entire military career was outstanding, his appointment as Secretary of State left something to be desired. Still, I was willing to concede that he has given this a lot of thought. He's not a stupid man and I still have a lot of respect for him. I did read an article this morning that made me go "hmmmm" though. Apparently, Powell will have a job in Obama's adminstration. So I'm taking his endorsement with a grain of salt now and not giving it the weight I might have before this piece of news became public.
That's your right but I don't agree. If you look at Powell's history, you will see that he's a man who goes his own way and doesn't sell out. Three examples are: He did not go along with the war in Iraq; He left Bush's administration; and he would not run for president because his wife didn't want him to. So there is no way he did it for that. If Obama now chooses to have Powell in his administration, that's another thing. Believe what you want, but I don't go along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Powells endorsemant is very confusing, Afterall he was a insider and one of the biggest backers of going in to Iraq. Might reflect his personal limits having been thru the military structured life and that was were he reached his peak.
Review your history before you speak. Powell is the one who advised Bush NOT to go into Iraq as he knew which wars we would win and which we would not. That is the main reason he left the Bush administration.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not so far from the truth. I'm a registered Republican who is planning to change my party affiliation to Independent after this election because I'm pretty disgusted with both parties. Also, if I'd been an Independent during the primaries, I could have chosen to pull a Dem ticket and tried to vote Kerry out of office (not possible but it's always worth a shot). I voted in the Republican primary and voted for Romney. So I've not been a McCain fan from the beginning. I'm still not a McCain fan by a long shot. I don't care for either of these two candidates. You can search my posts on CD for confirmation of that.

You know the final straw for me? This bailout bill and watching Nancy Pelosi and her gang in action and realizing that if Obama gets elected, she will have carte blanche. That scares the living carp out of me. Even if I hadn't given all the other issues a thought, I'd be casting a vote for Mickey Mouse if JUST to keep Nancy Pelosi from having any more power than she already does.

So, yes, there was a time a few months back when I was seriously considering casting my vote for Obama.
I share your viewpoints, to an extent. I actually voted for Bush twice (I could not stomach a John Kerry presidency). And I'm not a fan of Pelosi. But I'm voting for Obama. I've gone back and forth on my feelings for Obama over the last two years, hot, cold, lukewarm. I read one of his books and it sort of troubled me on some of his beliefs, but they were at least honest.

But like Powell (who I'm actually not that much of a fan of either), I have this gut feeling that Obama will turn out to be one of the great leaders of our time. He'll probably **** me off a couple of times, but that goes with every President I've voted for. He's the right person now for the times we face.

But I've never once considered voting for McCain. I haven't liked him ever, not in the last 10 years that I've known about him.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good for you. With that kind of rationale, it's obvious you are among the many who have their feet firmly planted in the air.

Strength can be derived by many means, not just military might. We live a far more sophisticated society than WWII times. But leave it to the Republicans to maintain that the only way to maintain peace is to build up the military at the expense of everything else. We police the world, but are selective in our "humanitarian" aid. Be a lapdog for Israel, but shun our own inner cities. Place ourselves in Afghanistan and Iraq, places where we don't belong, yet ignore the greater atrocities in Africa. Pour billions into a failed military strategy and a surge, while our economy goes into a free fall. Bigger guns don't defeat ideologies. This country is bleeding to death because of the incredibly pour judgment and decision-making of the idiots in power the last 8 years: Republicans.

About Iraq, we need to get the hell out of there, no question. We are in a part of the world we know nothing about. It would take someone like Obama to resolve the differences without causing this country to bleed to death.

So vote for McCain and be part of the problem. What a waste.

I completely agree with you that the U.S. has a LOT of room for improvement when it comes to fixing problems within our own borders. And that our foreign policy is far from perfect.

But if we weren't such a military power, some other nation would assume that number 1 spot. The next most likely choice is China. Would you like to live in a world where China is the most powerful country in the world? I doubt they'd approach that role with the same tactics that the USA uses.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
That's your right but I don't agree. If you look at Powell's history, you will see that he's a man who goes his own way and doesn't sell out. Three examples are: He did not go along with the war in Iraq; He left Bush's administration; and he would not run for president because his wife didn't want him to. So there is no way he did it for that. If Obama now chooses to have Powell in his administration, that's another thing. Believe what you want, but I don't go along with it.
I have always had a lot of respect for Powell but he was willing to LIE for Bush about the war in Iraq. That basically does show that he is willing to sell out. He may have left the administration but he hurt himself with that LIE. I must say though, he did apologize and I give him grat kudos for doing that, but it does still show that he was willing to be sold out, so everything is always going to be subject to scrutiny now because of that one LIE he told.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,842 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not so far from the truth. I'm a registered Republican who is planning to change my party affiliation to Independent after this election because I'm pretty disgusted with both parties. Also, if I'd been an Independent during the primaries, I could have chosen to pull a Dem ticket and tried to vote Kerry out of office (not possible but it's always worth a shot). I voted in the Republican primary and voted for Romney. So I've not been a McCain fan from the beginning. I'm still not a McCain fan by a long shot. I don't care for either of these two candidates. You can search my posts on CD for confirmation of that.

You know the final straw for me? This bailout bill and watching Nancy Pelosi and her gang in action and realizing that if Obama gets elected, she will have carte blanche. That scares the living carp out of me. Even if I hadn't given all the other issues a thought, I'd be casting a vote for Mickey Mouse if JUST to keep Nancy Pelosi from having any more power than she already does.

So, yes, there was a time a few months back when I was seriously considering casting my vote for Obama.
I agree. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I still don't like mccain. I just think obama is too dangerous with no experience administrating anything. I have built several successful business over the years. Obama knows just enough to get himself into trouble. That means he will embarrass American time and time again on a global level. I do not have any foriegn policy experience, Biden doesn't either. He sat on a board and listened to people testify. If you want to talk about biden for once, he had to remove himself from the democratic nomination a few elections ago for plagarism. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
He did go along with the war. He did leave, probably wasnt easy and pretty embarassing. More likely he was asked to resign for some reason. His wife telling him what to do hardly entitles him to being his own man, lol. Either way I could careless who he endorses. He does not pay my taxes. I do, my opinion is what matters when it comes to who I vote for President.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 AM

260 posts, read 573,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
please go have your body broken into bits and then have several people beat the crap out of you, then let's see how big and bad you are.
I'm not the one pretending to have been torture for 5 1/2 years
I'm not the one who got a yellow stripe and was willing to trade for info.
I'm not the one who took upon him self to be a "hero" and disobey orders.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
Default I've been undecided up until now but I'm leaning towards.....

Ive angered over this all morning, and Ive decided that Im going to vote for.......Pizza, instead of roasted chicken tonight. Shew, that was a tough one.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Ive angered over this all morning, and Ive decided that Im going to vote for.......Pizza, instead of roasted chicken tonight. Shew, that was a tough one.
What? What do you have against chickens? Are you so biased against chickens in general that you can not stand the thought of having one for lunch? Do you realize what pizza will do to your system if you let it in there? Are you actually believing what the pizza public relations machine is telling you about being the perfect food?

I'll bet you've been planning to eat pizza all along. You didn't just make up your mind. You are lying.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
Quote:
What? What do you have against chickens? Are you so biased against chickens in general that you can not stand the thought of having one for lunch? Do you realize what pizza will do to your system if you let it in there? Are you actually believing what the pizza public relations machine is telling you about being the perfect food?

I'll bet you've been planning to eat pizza all along. You didn't just make up your mind. You are lying.
lol

I do admit that Ive been leaning towards pizza over chicken for quite some time now. The liberal media always touting those Pizza commercials. Chicken cant really compete very well. My whole family has always eaten chicken, I will certainly be the black sheep of the family when I whip my box of cheese stuffed crust taco pizza. We took a poll, and its Chicken 75% Pizza 25% but I will still vote for pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections