Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,883,659 times

Advertisements

We should redistribute wives. My wife, she's ugly and onery, wont cook or clean and a hateful wench. I deserve a better wife and life should provide me with one that makes me happy and give mine to someone who can tolerate her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Why?

We need to eliminate the massive fraud, waste & abuse from government spending, drmatically alter the way we gather taxes and then look very hard at the homeless, the hungry, the aged, the mentally impaired... and then work very hard to do for them what we can with what we have.
I'm sorry, I cut and pasted the post you're quoting from a thread I started. I was quoting the KC Star article and didnt add quotation marks. Ive corrected it now - sorry.

That said, you're exactly right, I agree. But your initial post indicated that you seem to believe that ONLY Obama will raise taxes.

Also, anti-poverty programs (because you mentioned the homeless, hungry, etc) in the US take 8 cents of "your federal tax dollar." That includes all the waste and fraud. Not trying to deflect, but compare to interest on our national debt at 20 cents. (following is a .pdf) http://www.nationalpriorities.org/auxiliary/somePdfs/taxday2006/us.pdf (broken link)

The debt is a huge priority for Obama as he has said many times.

Remember that no matter who's elected it isn't a dictatorial juggernaut rolling into the White House. Proposals have to be written, rewritten and passed, and it's not at all likely that Congress - or either of the candidates - will put something ruinous for any income tier into effect.

I dont know McCain's plans to cut wasteful spending, but Obama's plans are here: Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Fiscal

(I know, they ALL say they'll cut wasteful spending.)

Again, didnt mean to mislead with the no-quotation marks.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
very funny. the rich makes trillions in unnecessary wars
and cheap labor schemes, enron schemes,
busted housing schemes
but when its time for a bailout they always cry
hey waiter give the bill to joe six pack sitting at the end of the table
ha ha ha ha.
not this time.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-28-2008 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,143,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Those that produce reap the benefits. Those that don’t produce, reap what they sow- very little.
I've seen this line of thinking alot on CityData, where some of you talk about "people who produce" or "innovative people" or "inventive people." Apparently these types of people are more deserving of financial reward (or at least less taxes).

With this philosophy, you are suggesting that a huge number of hard-working groups of people are not as deserving. Think of all the professions or lifestyles where innovation, production are not appropriate: housewives, bartenders, accountants, busdrivers, plumbers, dentists, most blue collar jobs, pharmacists, etc. etc.

The salt-of-the-earth, backbone of the country are not in professions that call for the type of creativity and productivity that you see more deserving of reward. In the military as well, too much initiative will probably lead to death or courtmarshall.

It just looks like another flawed hate-based philosophy from so-called conservatives.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,816,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I've seen this line of thinking alot on CityData, where some of you talk about "people who produce" or "innovative people" or "inventive people." Apparently these types of people are more deserving of financial reward (or at least less taxes).

With this philosophy, you are suggesting that a huge number of hard-working groups of people are not as deserving. Think of all the professions or lifestyles where innovation, production are not appropriate: housewives, bartenders, accountants, busdrivers, plumbers, dentists, most blue collar jobs, pharmacists, etc. etc.

The salt-of-the-earth, backbone of the country are not in professions that call for the type of creativity and productivity that you see more deserving of reward. In the military as well, too much initiative will probably lead to death or courtmarshall.

It just looks like another flawed hate-based philosophy from so-called conservatives.
Innovation isn't the same as production. I think he meant production like being productive in soceity, whether it's inventing things or working in a factory.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,554,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

If you read my second post on this thread you will get a more broad idea of how I think on the matter. I might add, for what it's worth, I give oner 15% of what I earn to charity (I make $60,000 per year) and I have worked for years at homeless shelters...

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
I submit that the OP, as millions of others, take Ronald Reagan's comments out of context or to unintended conclusions, such is the hazard of people in high office making overly generalized remarks and bumper sticker slogans.

First, we need a definition of 'redistribution of wealth' (ROW) so we have a frame of reference. I'll take a quick superficial stab at it:

IMO, ROW is to take farmland away from farmers and give it away in small plots to other citizens, as in the old communist model. Property ownership is sacred here, save for eminent domain for the public good (which still should be subject to due process reviews). No candidate is proposing such a ROW but that is what the term means to me and to others, and to use that term is to walk a slippery slope.

IMO, ROW is NOT smartly crafted tax policies that benefit the NATION as a WHOLE. If a tax policy benefits a CLASS of people at the expense of another class, or provides little or no tangible benefit to the NATION, than it is ROW. But if the benefit is to the NATION as a single whole, then it is decent tax policy and is NOT ROW.

IMO, ROW does not refer to ENDING the disastrous Bush tax cuts or cutting the outrageous farm subsidies like the ludicrous ethanol giveaway, all of which were done to please voter blocs in 2001 in order to support GOP victories in the 2002 mid-term and 2004 national elections. When Bush and the GOP congress passed these cuts and subsidies, they WERE a massive ROW from the working/middle class to the wealthy. BTW, the average subsidy to farmers is now at $1M/year, making farmers the highest paid group of workers in the nation. A few of the cuts were valid, like ending double taxation of dividends, but the wholesale cuts and huge subsidies were and are a financial disaster to our nation's finances. The Bush tax cuts and farm subsidies WERE a huge ROW and need to be rolled back to about where they were in 2000, when we had a balanced budget, things were going fine, and we were working off the national debt.

IMO, there should be no major tax cuts for anyone until we balance the budget, pay our national debt, and cover ALL our costs. This should make me a huge conservative, so what do we call debt-mongers like Bush?

IMO, we'll never come to much of an agreement on vague terms like Reagan used about "productive" people and such.

IMO, anyone who works is productive, and they ALL should have health care, strong defense, safe neighborhoods, great schools, and enjoy the blessings of liberty.

The wealthy may pay a greater percentage of their income as taxes, but they would NOT trade their position in life to be a welfare client. It may seem unfair, but it is a cost that has to be paid. I don't see any of them beating down the door to leave here for other countries. They'll get by just fine if tax rates are restored to prior levels.

To digress down racial lines, there is more than a smidgen of racism in people who cling to "beliefs" that those who aren't productive don't deserve or shouldn't get anything. I lived over 30 years in VA, where I am fully aware that local VA politicians conspired and actually made sure that black kids got very inferior educations, if any at all past grade school. It happened in MANY states, not just VA. Now there are tons of people in middle age or in retirement who were systematically and purposefully EXCLUDED from being "productive" citizens, are marginally productive at best, and probably will never come close to meeting the expectations of bigots who demand that everyone be a "productive" person in order to benefit from our society. How do we fix that? How do we make it fair for those people? IMO, about all we can do, MUST do, is provide health care to all, fix Society Security - and make damned sure that the abuses of the past don't happen again.

There are un-productive deadbeats all over, of all races and genders, but to let ancient racial prejudices keep us from having sound tax policies, a strong fiscal posture and a bright future is one of the greatest calamities we could ever inflict upon ourselves.

Shame on any political party that perpetuates the old status quo or way of thinking.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,192 times
wouldn't it be weird if people took action instead of complaining about congress all the time on forums?

Citizens Against Government Waste: Homepage (http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer - broken link)

See how much your congress members have wasted. Maybe respond to them and ask them what the hell are they doing? Maybe vote different? They get away with it because the people let them.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:08 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,979,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
wouldn't it be weird if people took action instead of complaining about congress all the time on forums?

Citizens Against Government Waste: Homepage (http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer - broken link)

See how much your congress members have wasted. Maybe respond to them and ask them what the hell are they doing? Maybe vote different? They get away with it because the people let them.
People took action with Ron Paul and now the campaign for liberty movement he started. You can see how effective that's become

Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,989,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
People took action with Ron Paul and now the campaign for liberty movement he started. You can see how effective that's become
These things dont happen over night, but you do have 75k people signed up at his site, and another 7K paying to go to the event they are having in MN in Sept.

Ron Paul's Campaign For Liberty | Rally for The Republic > August 31 - September 2nd

Thats pretty good considering the huge size of what they are up against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections