Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I cannot imagine the cost of a single response to 911 if the cost had to be paid out of pocket by the caller. Can you imagine a toll for every mile traveled, on every road.

And:

Food
Morrtgage
Utilities
Education
Health care
Insurance
Clothing
Public Transportation
Why must you "intellectual powerhouses" include things that EVERYONE uses as wealth redistribution? Do you even know what Obama's redistribution scheme is even about? I'll help you out. It is to take money from YOU to give to SOMEONE ELSE for things YOU will NEVER use here AND abroad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ah, like we never thought of that. Everyone in the family helps out my niece.

Republican logic: "I was on welfare and food stamps but no on ever helped me."

Craig T. Nelson on Government Aid - YouTube

So what do you need the government to do that it isn't already doing?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Oh, and by the way. I'm not poor. Never have been, never had a "government handout" of any kind---not even a student loan when I went to college. I do, however, care about people who are far worse off than I am like my niece who is so disabled she can't even wipe her own butt and others who by the grace of God could be you or me.
Same here but the lefties are so far gone up why bother. Let them eat their cake that is a flop. I am out of sympathy for a government and people who demonizes one group of people and claims they are insulted when it comes back at them. Enjoy the cake

Boomtown, USA: What is the wealthiest region per capita in America? Beverly Hills? No. Manhattan? Think again. It's actually the Washington, DC suburbs in Virginia and Maryland -- where thousands of federal workers live.

Remember, there only so much to divvy up. Washington is taking a big chunk of it. More and more on welfare and your share either goes down or dries up. Then again, since everyone thinks it's ok to increase taxes to stop it from drying up they will either have to increase taxes further down the income ladder or print more money. Of course those who don't pay taxes are bought votes and don't care since other people are paying the bill. Enjoy the dried up flop cake.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-20-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great post. The commie speaks. When Obama actually is caught on tape, his real thoughts are revealed. He is a communist through and through. But what would one expect when one's mother is a communist and he associated with known communists in his political rise.

Birds of a feather
So is Obama advocating redistribution beyond what America already has long had?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Yeah, 'tax cuts for all' has been proven NOT to work and I don't care what President thinks so. It doesn't trickle down to the middle class but you can't seem to get it through these current Republicans' heads. We tried it under Bush and look where it left our country. IT NEVER REACHED THE MIDDLE CLASS. Anyone who thinks millionaires deserve a tax break are just insane.
Well across the board tax cuts do work (a very Keynesan policy I hasten to ad) DEPENDING on the economic circumstances that exist at the time. Unfortunately present day conservatives believe that tax cuts are like chicken soup, they are a cure for everything from the common cold to economic depression.

As for Kennedy's proposal for across the board tax cuts, conservatives with their penchant for selective and out of context quotations seem to leave on the cutting room floor is that Kennedy tax cuts were aimed primary at the middle and lower classes in order to stimulate demand. It wasn't his first choice, but rather a direct expenditures by the federal government programs that his administration aggressively pursued.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM

1,196 posts, read 839,526 times
The Kennedy tax cuts

President Hoover dramatically increased tax rates in the 1930s and President Roosevelt compounded the damage by pushing marginal tax rates to more than 90 percent. Recognizing that high tax rates were hindering the economy, President Kennedy proposed across-the-board tax rate reductions that reduced the top tax rate from more than 90 percent down to 70 percent. What happened? Tax revenues climbed from $94 billion in 1961 to $153 billion in 1968, an increase of 62 percent (33 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to President John F. Kennedy:
Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.
Historic Tax Cuts and Economic Growth | Lessons of Lower Tax Rates

Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why must you "intellectual powerhouses" include things that EVERYONE uses as wealth redistribution? Do you even know what Obama's redistribution scheme is even about? I'll help you out. It is to take money from YOU to give to SOMEONE ELSE for things YOU will NEVER use here AND abroad!
Are you advocating for a Pay for Use system?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I cannot imagine the cost of a single response to 911 if the cost had to be paid out of pocket by the caller. Can you imagine a toll for every mile traveled, on every road.

And:

Food
Morrtgage
Utilities
Education
Health care
Insurance
Clothing
Public Transportation

How many super givers would cease to do so if giving were no longer tax deductable.

A donation to the "Church of Middle-Aged Mom" is as worthy of a deduction as a donation to the Red Cross or Salvation Army.
Exactly.
Add in the cost of national defense - all those salaries, vehicles, fuel costs - oh my.
Without some sort of 'wealth distribution' where would we be? Every time I see these exclamations, I cannot help thinking do people really want to get invoices for all of those things?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What things?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Let me see here........................
Obama redistributing wealth so that everyone has a shot to move forward for the good of America or Romney redistributing Wealth just among the wealthy for the good of the Wealthy...................... NOT a difficult choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections