Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of what you are saying could be true, but I think many will look past certain issues, especially what he was or wasn't 25 years ago. I really don't think his socially conservative views are going to hurt him that much with the moderates. What will happen if he gets the nomination: who knows?
Is gay marriage even going to be a big issue for moderates in the upcoming election? I would imagine jobs, debt, and the economy are going to be the most pressing issues. Obama has no successes to run on, so the only way he will have a chance of getting elected is to smear his opponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
He certainly relied on his notes on the podium. What does he really think and feel and believe without his notes?...He did seem like a preacher at times. With all of the hype I expected him to come out like a dynamo but he didn't seem this way to me. Maybe he was nervous or ??? He was certainly set-up to be a "super star" by the media and he failed to deliver as far as I'm concerned.
Again, why does this bother you? Would you rather see him put his notes on the teleprompter, like obama does and then watch his head swivel back and forth like a tennis match?

I'm sure he did just for that reason - to contrast with obama's ADDICTION to the tele.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Again, why does this bother you? Would you rather see him put his notes on the teleprompter, like obama does and then watch his head swivel back and forth like a tennis match?

I'm sure he did just for that reason - to contrast with obama's ADDICTION to the tele.
Believe me, once he really gets up in front of the cameras he will start relying on teleprompters. They all do.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:14 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
Quote:

I prefer to listen to politicians who talk from their heads and hearts. But this seems like an impossible dream anymore....Most of the time I switch channels when Obama is on TV giving speeches. It all seems like "baloney" to me!...I don't trust any politicians anymore. I don't make any of them my "savior" or "messiah." They are politicians trying to win votes and gain power or stay in power.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Is gay marriage even going to be a big issue for moderates in the upcoming election? I would imagine jobs, debt, and the economy are going to be the most pressing issues. Obama has no successes to run on, so the only way he will have a chance of getting elected is to smear his opponent.
I don't think most social issues will enter into the campaign at all unless the "other" side chooses to make them issues. I also do not think he is anti same sex marriage: he personally is, so am I, but I don't think I have the right to decide this. If states agree same sex marriage it legal and 2 people choose to get married that isn't really my business. You are right, the economy, jobs, yes, states rights, and possibly illegal immigration are going to be at the top of the list. Oh and of course health care which he mentioned today.

Nita

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
He certainly relied on his notes on the podium. What does he really think and feel and believe without his notes?...He did seem like a preacher at times. With all of the hype I expected him to come out like a dynamo but he didn't seem this way to me. Maybe he was nervous or ??? He was certainly set-up to be a "super star" by the media and he failed to deliver as far as I'm concerned.
If he sounded like a preacher sometimes, what would you say about Ron Paul or our President?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
I like the sound of Perry/Rubio...don't you guys?
Perry will not need Rubio on the ticket to carry Florida, so that won't happen. He would get the the same votes Rubio got anyway, plus more of the elderly/religious because Perry comes across as an old-fashioned Texan.

No, Perry's most likely choice will be Guiliani, or possibly Christie. A republican who can get some of the recent GOP-leaning northern states. Romney would also work as a VP candidate, but there will be too much bad blood after the fight they are about to have.

A Perry/Guiliani ticket, while a bit strange to conservatives right now, would easily win the general election. Even if they are running against Hillary, which is increasingly likely.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Thank heavens for the time zone differences. Rick Perry is scheduled to announce now around 1 Eastern. Ron Paul won't start until 1:15 Central.

Evidently everything is behind schedule. C-Span is supposed to cover it all.
thanks, I just switched over. Thaddeus McConner is a great speaker!!!!! Can up next.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If he sounded like a preacher sometimes, what would you say about Ron Paul or our President?
As I stated in an earlier post I usually switch channels when Obama gives speeches on TV because I don't believe anything he says.. I can listen to Ron Paul "with interest" at times and sometimes he irks me...I'm watching Iowa speeches on CSPAN right now. Had trouble listening to Michele Bachmann. Had to turn the volume down because her tone and speaking voice gave me and my son a headache...Trying to catch all of the speeches. Doing my civic duty...So far we liked Ron Paul the best but we don't fully trust him either. (Or Obama!)

Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Believe me, once he really gets up in front of the cameras he will start relying on teleprompters. They all do.
No. Sanrene is right on this, his lack of teleprompter use is yet another example of the powerful campaigning tactics he has, and it is completely planned and deliberate. You will be seeing much more of this.

Think about it -- it's an easy way for him to set himself apart from his colleagues, one that has no political fallout whatsoever. Plus he wins a battle in the general election without having to worry about taking a stand on an issue; look for him to gather more of the low-hanging fruit soon.

Although he's in primary mode, he'll take whatever opportunity he can to run in the general election early. He has been doing so as governor of Texas for the past year or so. Anything he can do to portray himself as the 100% opposite of Obama he will do, as that will deliver the majority of his support in the general. Probably 49% or so of all voters will simply vote against Obama (not unlike they did against Bush). Then he'd just need to earn 2-3 percent more by talking jobs -- and he wins it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections