Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Not necessarily. How long did Larry Craig stay under the radar? Most people will not care about his sexuality anyways, which may explain why nothing more has surfaced. If someone has any dirt on him they will wait for the right time to reveal it. When did news of Bush's DUI come out? A few days before the election if I recall correctly.
The DUI was kept under control for ages, you are right, but his having a drinking problem in the past was up front from the time he ran for governor and he never denied it. That is totally different from the gay/straight issues. They were brought up years ago and dropped about as fast. The latest issues have to do with the accusations then, they are not new. As for Larry Craig, they were never any media rumors necessarily about him. You are talking about issues that are like apples/versus oranages.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure you do take it seriously, most of us do..My point was, before you heard him you said you did not like him, so I doubt anything he said would have won you over. That is your right as a voter: as for me, I am a Republican but lean libertarian on many issues. I have never voted for a Democrat for Pres but have voted for many at lower levels. I have said this over and over and I will stick with it: because I can not agree with Obama on anything or very little I will support whomever gets the Republican nomination. Of course I have a favorite and I too read, study, and pay attention to all candidates. I choose the one that come closest to my beliefs. Only one candidate has every completely satisfied me.

Nita
Thanks for your reply. I really did expect to be "wowed" by Perry. He was "hyped-up" so much by the pundits and media ahead of time. But I just didn't feel this way about him. I felt duped and disappointed by all the hype. I couldn't relate to him very well and neither could my son and we watched his speech 3 times to be fair to him!....I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" when it comes to candidates. And integrity and sincerity and trustworthiness are "in the eye of the beholder" too. Don't you think?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,465,715 times
Lots of articles on Perry on Politico.com including a radio interview he did with Iowans on WHO radio with some tough questions with callers. Go there and check it out. It seems he was for the HPV vaccine before he was against it (altho a Texas Tribune article says he was after that , for it again). He answers how he worked for Al Gore and more...

Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,465,715 times
Rick Perry needs to have his head examined if he think an idea like this would be popular. He wants to track down drug cartels in our country with drones? Has he thought about what happens when civilians are accidently hit? What about the sheer damage to the infrastructure of the land, roads buildings? He's CRAZY! Rick Perry suggests predator drones for border patrol - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com He's DANGEROUS!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Rick Perry needs to have his head examined if he think an idea like this would be popular. He wants to track down drug cartels in our country with drones? Has he thought about what happens when civilians are accidently hit? What about the sheer damage to the infrastructure of the land, roads buildings? He's CRAZY! Rick Perry suggests predator drones for border patrol - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com He's DANGEROUS!
See, this is why Ron Paul supporters get those sideways looks and blank stares... what exactly are you talking about? Here is Perry's quote from your own linked article:

Quote:
"I mean, we know that there are Predator drones being flown for practice every day because we're seeing them, we're preparing these young people to fly missions in these war zones that we have. But some of those, they have all the equipment, they're obviously unarmed, they've got the downward-looking radar, they've got the ability to do night work and through clouds. Why not be flying those missions and using (that) real-time information to help our law-enforcement? Becuase if we will commit to that, I will suggest to you that we will be able to drive the drug cartels away from our border."
How would that scare anyone? Wouldn't it be safer than manned aircraft doing border reconnaissance? Shouldn't the border patrol have that kind of aerial intelligence at their disposal?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:41 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Not necessarily. How long did Larry Craig stay under the radar? Most people will not care about his sexuality anyways, which may explain why nothing more has surfaced. If someone has any dirt on him they will wait for the right time to reveal it. When did news of Bush's DUI come out? A few days before the election if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Told of Romney’s boast about knowing of the “real economy,” Perry shot back: “I’m thinking Texas is the real economy.”
Subsequently asked the same question, Perry blew Romney a kiss for the cameras.
“Give him my love, give him my love,” he joked.
Rick Perry takes first jabs at Mitt Romney - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

Ok, air kissing Romney is a little... offbeat. Did he flutter his eyes, too?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,985 times
Personally I can't wait to vote for this guy just to get Obama tossed out. I'm an obvious Yankee and Progressive, but America, I sentence you to 4 more years of a rootin' tootin' Texas Governor in the White House, because you deserve it, baby.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Drones started out unarmed, and continue to fly unarmed missions for recon in addition to armed missions in combat zones.

Perry was not suggesting using drones to kill drug traffickers. The link you provided even quotes him saying "they're obviously unarmed."

In addition, the linked article states,

Quote:
And why not indeed, as several readers reminded me [the author, not Perry], since the Department of Homeland Security has been flying drones along that border for the last six years.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM

915 posts, read 1,507,037 times
I'm glad that I'm not the only one wondering where the "wow" was! The more I research he guy, the less I like him and I wanted to like him.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
Another Texas Gov., that was a cheerleader, that has a calling from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections