Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 62,828 times

Advertisements

Muhney, thanks for your honesty! If the very hot and very cold days are short-lived, that's O.K. But, if they last for weeks, then that's something else. In Vegas we had the Zephor winds - they blew from the north right off the snows of Mt. Charleston (ski an hour out of town) and right through you! I hated those winds. We also had monsoon rains with the resulting flash floods and, thankfully, short lived humid days. It's been awhile since I've witnessed a really bad dust storm in Vegas, but they happen, along with the occasional snow. 6 foot 3, I am well aware of the beautiful blue skys that the desert has to offer. Vegas had/has what I call the "change of season" sky color. Spring brings the pale blue, summer the deeper, fall almost turquoise with winter the crystal clear blue that comes with the colder desert weather. So how long does the "very hot-very cold" days last? And what's bringing on the higher humidity rate if it doesn't rain very often?
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyJ View Post
I found EnjoyEP's post of why he wanted to live in El Paso quite lovely and compelling and have got my fingers crossed for him that he may be able to move there soon. Who knows, we might find ourselves neighbors <G>.
Thanks so very much for the kind thoughts and kind words, LdyJ! I really appreciate it, and as you say, who knows? Someday soon we may be neighbors! However, I hope you end up where it would be happiest for you - whether or not that is "The Pass" or not! You are very kind though, and I am actively pursuing a professional set of opportunities in the EP area; thus, it may take me 1 month, it may take me 3 years, but if one is offered to me, as soon as it is, I will take it and be EP-bound! Yes, I really truly am that enthusiastic about El Paso, Texas.

Now though, as for some of your questions from a regular visitors' perspective to EP but obviously not yet a resident:

Quote:
Are there a lot of desert flowers in the spring?
There are, especially I believe on the Northeast side of the Franklins, and parts of the West Side around the Franklins. They are gorgeous, and are often touted by El Paso tourism mags as one of the highlights of beauty in the calendar year in EP.

Quote:
I found EnjoyEP's post of why he wanted to live in El Paso quite lovely and compelling and have got my fingers crossed for him that he may be able to move there soon. Who knows, we might find ourselves neighbors <G>.
Thanks so very much for the kind thoughts and kind words, LdyJ! I really appreciate it, and as you say, who knows? Someday soon we may be neighbors! However, I hope you end up where it would be happiest for you - whether or not that is "The Pass" or not! You are very kind though, and I am actively pursuing a professional set of opportunities in the EP area; thus, it may take me 1 month, it may take me 3 years, but if one is offered to me, as soon as it is, I will take it and be EP-bound! Yes, I really truly am that enthusiastic about El Paso, Texas.

Now though, as for some of your questions from a regular visitors' perspective to EP but obviously not yet a resident:

Quote:
How cold does it get in the winter (I've looked at the averages, but I'm not sure how accurate they are year to year).
Well, it depends upon what your definition of "cold" is. Winters actually - believe it or not - are not that significantly colder in El Paso than they are in Las Vegas. They are to a certain degree, but not incredibly. Just like Vegas can get cold snaps with highs in the 40s only or low 50s (which I consider cool, not cold), with lows in the 30s and 20s, so can El Paso.

El Paso very rarely but usually once or twice a year will have a day where the high is only in the high 30s, or the low drops into the low 20s / teens. This is extremely rare though. Remember that this can be shown by gardening and vegetation - large palm trees grow all over El Paso that would not live if temps regularly dropped for significant periods of time well below freezing; same is true for some cacti varieties that are planted in yards in El Paso (such as saguaros which are not native to the area).

A common, typical winter day in El Paso would have high temperatures anywhere in the range from 52 degrees to 68 degrees; 60 is just about average...again, this is the heart of the winter. Night low averages in winter would range anywhere from about 28 degrees to 45 degrees.

Since you've seen the averages, I won't bother you by posting them here, but the coldest months' average high is a very pleasant 57 degrees...that is the coldest month. Add in that warm, blazing bright West Texas sun, and 57 degrees feels quite pleasant.

I don't know if El Paso is QUITE as warm as Vegas or SC in the wintertime, but compared to most of the US, yes, it is quite pleasant and warm even in the winter. Golf is by far a year-round sport in EP. EP averages between 2.5 to 4 inches of snowfall annually, and that almost never lasts on the ground for more than a few hours.

Offhand, I can remember I was in El Paso on December 26 in 2005 and the high was in the high-60s. I was also in El Paso on NY Eve 2005 and NY Day 2006 and both days the high temps ranged from the high 60s to low 70s. I played golf all three days. I was in El Paso also around February 22-23, 2007 and temps were in the high-50s one day but the low-70s the next, although the infamous spring winds were a howlin' for a portion of one day.

Overall, I can't imagine a climate all too much more inviting for winter than El Paso. You get some chill, some brisk, a hint of snow, but overall it is quite warm, temperate, and sunny.

Quote:
We love to play golf and I love to walk (hopefully, one day my husband will share my passion for exercise), both of which I did in Las Vegas, and sometime in the very heat of summer afternoons (best golf rates are to be found at 2 pm in August). But this last summer the temps rose above 116 and stayed there for almost two weeks, with no relief at night - lucky for me, we were staying in Imperial Beach at the time.
I will say this...I think some who are very familiar with the desert / El Paso here, they feel EP's summers are not hot. You may be one of them as well, familiar with Vegas' intense summer heat and the Southeast's high humidities. However, I will state strongly and with conviction that to MANY people...not all, but many...who come to El Paso in the summer, they will find it to be quite hot, especially during the hottest portions of the day.

It is fully true that the humidity levels are relatively low being the desert, so that does help, but the sun shines hard, hot and bright, and I don't know...103 with a full sun as I have experienced several times in EP still isn't exactly cool. Now don't get me wrong...EP's heat isn't comparable to Vegas', and because it is dry heat, it is more pleasant to many than extreme humidity (say 93 degrees with 72% humidity), but it is still hot.

However, since you are used to Vegas heat, EP's shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote:
While I love the Charleston area, I'm afraid I may be too much of a desert rat to live here. A return to Las Vegas is out and this forum is really making me take a close look at the LC/EP area.
I know what you are saying. For those who love the desert (and there are many who don't), the desert really seems like it gets in your "blood". Even my wife, who grew up in a coastal, warm, tropical climate and loves the water / to swim, when I suggested I would be willing to relo from WI to, oh, say Jacksonville, FL on her behalf if she wanted a more coastal climate, she agreed with me that the desert was in her blood too. There is something about the dryness, the rugged landscape, the sunsets/sunrises, the open blue skies, the more laid back pace, etc. - it just gets in your blood!

Quote:
What is the area of Anthony NM like? We've seen house lots on the golf course on Google Earth. Looks like it could be a good place, skip EP property taxes while still being pretty close to EP. Any thoughts?
Full disclaimer: I am the farthest thing from an authority on Anthony...I really only drive through it and haven't spent much time there. However, I do have to say that it wouldn't be high on my list of places to live. While it is relatively close to both EP and LC, it is still kind of just a little town in the middle of nowhere that just doesn't seem too terribly appealing to me from driving through. I know that is a superficial attitude, so maybe current dwellers in the area would have a better picture on Anthony, but to me, it just seems like it has shaky "curbside appeal".

As for those EP property taxes...yes, they are high. Certainly a downside of the area. However, bear in mind this:

-Typically housing costs a decent amount more on the NM side (Las Cruces and NM suburbs of El Paso). El Paso's housing costs are fantastic compared to most of the US. So what you are giving up in paying El Paso property taxes, you very well could be saving in a lower mortgage. You could own a virtual mansion in El Paso for $300K...seriously. You could also own a 1700 square foot near-new construction house with 4 br's in EP in a decent area on the East Side for $130K. Housing prices like that just aren't found in much of the nation.

The other thing remember - El Pasoans / all Texas, do not pay income tax. That is huge.

So while if you are living in NM you are paying much lower property taxes, probably your house cost a decent amount more and you are paying an income tax (if it applies). If you hop to EP, your property taxes shoot up but no income tax and a lower mortgage.

I think thus you should live where you want to, as I think the financials kind of come out in the wash - and either way, NM or EP - you are living much cheaper than most other cities.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Ya, there is something about the dryness, the blue skies, low humidity, and rugged landscape of the desert that kind of captures you. I fell in love with it when I lived in Reno. It's truly beautiful.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 62,828 times
Wow, EnjoyEP, thank you so much for taking the time to give such a great response to my questions! I guess it comes down to what we, my husband and I, decide will be the best for us and our interests. When you are free to live any place you want it's hard to choose, but really important not to make a mistake as there may not be time or resources to correct it <G>! If you had to recommend one course for us to play in the EP/LC area on our visit the end of the month, which one would it be?
J

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
What a beautiful mountain! Thank you so much for posting the photo. Are there a lot of desert flowers in the spring? How cold does it get in the winter (I've looked at the averages, but I'm not sure how accurate they are year to year). We love to play golf and I love to walk (hopefully, one day my husband will share my passion for exercise), both of which I did in Las Vegas, and sometime in the very heat of summer afternoons (best golf rates are to be found at 2 pm in August). But this last summer the temps rose above 116 and stayed there for almost two weeks, with no relief at night - lucky for me, we were staying in Imperial Beach at the time. While I love the Charleston area, I'm afraid I may be too much of a desert rat to live here. A return to Las Vegas is out and this forum is really making me take a close look at the LC/EP area. I found EnjoyEP's post of why he wanted to live in El Paso quite lovely and compelling and have got my fingers crossed for him that he may be able to move there soon. Who knows, we might find ourselves neighbors <G>. What is the area of Anthony NM like? We've seen house lots on the golf course on Google Earth. Looks like it could be a good place, skip EP property taxes while still being pretty close to EP. Any thoughts?
LdyJ
What I think is very nice about El Paso weather is that we actually have 4 seasons -- you get just enough of winter to know it is winter -- but you can't really predict which DAY that's going to be. Most years it will even snow at least just a little -- sometimes a decent amount.

It's cold enough that you can grow apples here -- most years because apples require 28 nights of below freezing weather or they don't have a long enough dormancy to produce but it only has to be freeze at night.

Once in a while it helps to have a winter coat and gloves but you can easily survive without them -- depending on how well you like cold. But for those who like seasons, El Paso is a good place.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
What a beautiful mountain! Thank you so much for posting the photo. Are there a lot of desert flowers in the spring? How cold does it get in the winter (I've looked at the averages, but I'm not sure how accurate they are year to year). We love to play golf and I love to walk (hopefully, one day my husband will share my passion for exercise), both of which I did in Las Vegas, and sometime in the very heat of summer afternoons (best golf rates are to be found at 2 pm in August). But this last summer the temps rose above 116 and stayed there for almost two weeks, with no relief at night - lucky for me, we were staying in Imperial Beach at the time. While I love the Charleston area, I'm afraid I may be too much of a desert rat to live here. A return to Las Vegas is out and this forum is really making me take a close look at the LC/EP area. I found EnjoyEP's post of why he wanted to live in El Paso quite lovely and compelling and have got my fingers crossed for him that he may be able to move there soon. Who knows, we might find ourselves neighbors <G>. What is the area of Anthony NM like? We've seen house lots on the golf course on Google Earth. Looks like it could be a good place, skip EP property taxes while still being pretty close to EP. Any thoughts?
LdyJ

Anthony NM is generally low income -- lower income than Anthony TX. There are some very nice farm lands around that area. It's definitely more a small town -- and if anyone is thinking of Anthony to live in, I would recommend visiting it first just to make sure it's what you want.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Ya, there is something about the dryness, the blue skies, low humidity, and rugged landscape of the desert that kind of captures you. I fell in love with it when I lived in Reno. It's truly beautiful.
I overall like Reno too, Synopsis, but strictly from a weather standpoint, I think you might far prefer El Paso (if you like mild/warm weather). Reno to me always kind of reminded me of a slightly cooler version of Albuquerque, NM...kind of a cross (I am talking temps-wise) between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

El Paso is much warmer on average than Reno, and I think for you if you are a warm-weather lover, you'd love that about EP!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,699 times
our neighbor just brought a bag full of oranges grown here ,i had forgotten that lemon and orange trees do ok here ,there are certain areas of the city that they grow does anyone have any orange or lemon trees growing in their yards and if so how do they taste we gave the oranges the kid test and my 7year old and niece ate two each.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I overall like Reno too, Synopsis, but strictly from a weather standpoint, I think you might far prefer El Paso (if you like mild/warm weather). Reno to me always kind of reminded me of a slightly cooler version of Albuquerque, NM...kind of a cross (I am talking temps-wise) between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

El Paso is much warmer on average than Reno, and I think for you if you are a warm-weather lover, you'd love that about EP!
Thanks EnjoyEP. I'm finding that as I grow older, I'm more into less extremes in the weather (doesn't everyone as they grow older?). Reno is rather cold in the Winter. What I like about El Paso is the low humidity. I can take heat as long as it is low humidity. Here in DFW it gets really humid in the summer, and HOTTER than El Paso. I'm beginning to like milder winters also. Don't get me wrong, I do like four seasons; I could never live in Florida, much too humid and no change of seasons. EP has a lot of the things that I like as far as weather goes. I am going to have to come for a visit someday.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I'm having a hard time as to who is more positive.....EnjoyEP or Synopsis....

If City Data let us elect the most positive posters you 2 would get my vote ....although there other good one's on here also......

I always appreciate reading you guys thoughts on here and on other city threads on different states......

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso