Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Hey EnjoyEP.....

Thanks for he positive post as your one of the best people on here at that .....

If i live in the southwest i want to be back home in Sothern NM or EP as i really miss seeing the places and sites from when i grew up as a kid/teens etc... I do like Tucson but my heart is in New Mexico and not Arizona as i feel like an outsider there but i do know what your saying so i appreciate it.

Although i'm Caucasian i've always had the ability to deep tan easily. I never burn in the sun and i thrive feeling the heat upon my skin. I also was raised with a swimming pool as we swam 8/9 months out of the year in Las Cruces and El Paso growing up and my parents had a speed boat so we water skied in Elephant Butte for years and i always feel comfortable wearing shorts and tank top/muscle shirts and not waering long sleeves/jackets.

I mention Florida as i do have family there (common theme here on CD) as i miss my siblings (sisters) and their kids (nieces and nephews) and also i was in the Navy there and loved it when we went to the Carribean Islands many times on a destroyer and partied and swam at those tropical warm beaches drinking Pina Coladas with all those beautiful island ladies (lol) so again it's got to be warm/hot for me to be happy.

I did get a chuckle at seeing Florida is in the teens right now and the orange growers are worried about their crops. Maybe someone's telling me something????

That sounds great having a tecate and maybe catching a UTEP Football/Basketball game or heading up the Tram to the top of Ranger Peak. I also really dig Hueco Tanks just east of El Paso as it has some of the best free climbing/repelling and hiking in the rock formations out there that i've ever been too.

Thanks again for the great post and if you remember when we had that record snow in ABQ last winter i was really depressed so its just the winter thats got me down but i'm hanging in there.......

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 01-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Proof Read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
.....Well, I absolutely love Albuquerque. I think more than many...I really love it. However, there are four "firm" reasons I like El Paso more than Albuquerque and one "feeling" reason. They are as follows:

Firm -
1) The weather...

2) The cost of housing / living.

3) The people

4) The gardening

Feeling -

....I cannot fully describe why I love it the way I do. I just absolutely love that area. Plus...for the reasons I love Albuquerque...living in El Paso you are always a quick, easy freeway drive of 4 hours away from the Duke City!

.....Cathy, your questions have a way of getting me REALLLY fired up about the Borderland! Now I wish I were down there, but alas, I am up in 10 degree Downtown Milwaukee. I guess if I close my eyes hard enough and imagine...
EnjoyEP, thanks for a thoughtful explanation. I do understand. El Paso, Las Cruces and Alamogordo are very special places! The deciding factor for me was also the weather. EP can get very, very hot.....and the heat lasts a very long time, so you should really like it there once you make your move (again!).

And yes, traffic and how we perceive it is very relative. The largest city I have ever lived in was Midland, at just over 100K, with no real traffic to speak of....so, EP, by comparison, is a nightmare, LOL!!!

Good luck! Maybe you'll get back to the great Southwest before you know it!!

I will see how the summers are in Alamo, and how long they last. The winters here are just terrific, but if the summers come early and last a long time as they do in EP/Midland, I may be headed for northern NM later when I don't have to drive back and forth. But.....I'll cross that bridge if indeed I ever come to it. Alamo is really a neat place, and I love it so far!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times
I was just up in Cloudcroft this weekend (my sister has a cabin up there) and boy was it a nice change of pace. Nice and cold.. It even made my wife (a chicago native) shiver with delight. We also happened to make a trip to the lodge. Has anyone been there recently? They've remodeled the interior and it looks just wonderful. It's a beautiful victorian era hotel on the exterior, but I've always been kind of "meh" when it came to the interior. I little too much 80s cheeze. Not no more. The decor is much more period appropriate and looks beautiful. Make a trip out there if you can..

Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
I was just up in Cloudcroft this weekend (my sister has a cabin up there) and boy was it a nice change of pace. Nice and cold.. It even made my wife (a chicago native) shiver with delight. We also happened to make a trip to the lodge. Has anyone been there recently? They've remodeled the interior and it looks just wonderful. It's a beautiful victorian era hotel on the exterior, but I've always been kind of "meh" when it came to the interior. I little too much 80s cheeze. Not no more. The decor is much more period appropriate and looks beautiful. Make a trip out there if you can..
That sounds wonderful.....

Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Gorditas? Anybody got gorditas? Can you send me one?

Can you fax me one?

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif (broken link)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Gorditas? Anybody got gorditas? Can you send me one?

Can you fax me one?

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif (broken link)
Here here. I would gladly take a gordita (or 10) from JJ's if anyone could ship one up here. Never mind, it is 26 degrees outside here, it would freeze.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Here here. I would gladly take a gordita (or 10) from JJ's if anyone could ship one up here. Never mind, it is 26 degrees outside here, it would freeze.
Now, you've got gorditas in the city already. Remember, I live in Dallas, and gorditas are hard to find there. That's why I go to El Paso every few years just so I can get an order from The Little Diner.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
El Paso has a great climate. I've often said I'd never move South of Dallas, but El Paso is a whole different story. The low humidity (gotta love that), desert mountain scenery, and my favorite is GOOD MEXICAN FOOD! I love Mexican food, but the only thing is that I only have Tex-Mex (I guess - I wouldn't know, but I do love Tex Mex). Does El Paso have the "real thing" and if so is it a lot different than Tex Mex? I love hot, spicy food and can't seem to get any really hot stuff served in the restaurants in DFW. I want to hear it from the people in the know; folks from the great city of El Paso.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Oh Yeah SYN, El Paso does in fact have some of the best Mexican food in the world. Ok the USA.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Rep Time

Okay, everybody. Time to shower one another with reps. It's raining reps in the desert.

It's also smiley time. Here's a few for you, EP.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso