Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times

Advertisements

El Paso so far has one of the best performances that only three other places can match so far, Washington DC, Oklahoma City, & Indianapolis. Almost every places so far has either been with where the estimates and projections left it off for last year or been much less.

El Paso however has been way more than its projections and estimates implied. It's 35,000 larger than even the estimates!

El Paso MSA 2009 (Estimates): 751,296
El Paso MSA 2010 (Estimates): 765,546
El Paso MSA 2010 (Official Count): 800,647

Difference Between Estimates & Official: + 35,101

Congratulations El Paso on a job well done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 AM

577 posts, read 993,464 times
800,000 people! I know they don't include New Mexico in the metro area count but add Dona Ana County and you have around a million people in the El Paso-Las Cruces metro area.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
800,000 people! I know they don't include New Mexico in the metro area count but add Dona Ana County and you have around a million people in the El Paso-Las Cruces metro area.
Haha the International Metropolitan Area (IMA) already has 2.3 Million people in the El Paso-Juarez-Las Cruces, TX-NM, USA-MEX Metropolitan Area.

Kudos to El Paso, you guys beat all of the estimates and projections and pulled ahead with a very high and respectable number. I think El Paso will no doubt be reaching 1 Million before 2020, it has a little bit further to go to get Las Cruces into its CSA, a few more commuter exchanges.

It can be Texas's first major city that has a metropolitan area in two states like the way Midwestern & Northeastern cities are like.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Growth for growth's sake isn't always wonderful. Now we sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and our crime rate is getting to be like any huge city. The loss of outdoor space will have consequences as they crowd many more people into this place.

And with all those thousands new people, why the talk of big tax increases? Shouldn't the additional people be making for big tax revenues that there should be no talk of higher rates?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,835,128 times
El Paso's official 2010 population is 649,121. (According to an El Paso Times news story.) It's overtaken Baltimore; I don't know if it's now in the Top 20 or not, as other cities, like Charlotte, are growing, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Growth for growth's sake isn't always wonderful. Now we sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and our crime rate is getting to be like any huge city. The loss of outdoor space will have consequences as they crowd many more people into this place.
Urban sprawl. According to other articles on the El Paso Times website, most of the population growth in the city is on the East and West Sides (in that order), while Central continues to lose residents. The city can (and should) do what it can to get people to stay in Central or move there, but people are going to move out to the edge of town...until they quit wanting to.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 PM

525 posts, read 1,371,394 times
So that means when I was born in Hotel Dieu or Dew..whatever..the poplulation was 450,000 more or less..in my lifetime..it has doubled..what is going on over there..!!...I am in Irving..Tx..by Dallas..should I go back there to my hometown to live..or whatever..!!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,963,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Urban sprawl. According to other articles on the El Paso Times website, most of the population growth in the city is on the East and West Sides (in that order), while Central continues to lose residents. The city can (and should) do what it can to get people to stay in Central or move there, but people are going to move out to the edge of town...until they quit wanting to.
The downside of Central is the smog - you can see it and chew it on winter evenings. If El Paso follows the path of other cities the older industrial lands will eventually be converted to townhouse or other medium/high density residential uses. I am surprised at the recent growth as El Paso has lost it's manufacturing base and isn't producing much for export beyond the region. Apart from Fort Bliss we are very much a service town selling stuff to ourselves.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The downside of Central is the smog - you can see it and chew it on winter evenings. If El Paso follows the path of other cities the older industrial lands will eventually be converted to townhouse or other medium/high density residential uses. I am surprised at the recent growth as El Paso has lost it's manufacturing base and isn't producing much for export beyond the region. Apart from Fort Bliss we are very much a service town selling stuff to ourselves.
And our unemployment rates are consistently higher than most of Texas cities yet people are pouring into this city. It's not for jobs obviously, and certainly not for high paying jobs. That is going to have consequences.

El Paso used to be a big producer of cotton and pecans but they're plowing all that under faster than you can blink an eye to build more subdivisions where they squeeze people in as tight as they can.

Massive wild growth didn't help Ciudad Juarez in the end.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM

525 posts, read 1,371,394 times
This town works great for my dad as he is retired military, lives in Central ELP, close to Ft Bliss, commissary, Beaumont. He does not have to drive far. He tells me..that the growth can be attributed to the people that have moved there from Juarez and the new troops coming in. When I was there, it seemed much more crowded than before. i know..I grew up there..!!..I hope El Paso does NOT lose its charm!..I will always love it..though!..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,379,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Haha the International Metropolitan Area (IMA) already has 2.3 Million people in the El Paso-Juarez-Las Cruces, TX-NM, USA-MEX Metropolitan Area.

Kudos to El Paso, you guys beat all of the estimates and projections and pulled ahead with a very high and respectable number. I think El Paso will no doubt be reaching 1 Million before 2020, it has a little bit further to go to get Las Cruces into its CSA, a few more commuter exchanges.

It can be Texas's first major city that has a metropolitan area in two states like the way Midwestern & Northeastern cities are like.
Yeah, congrats to El Paso
It's good to have a fast-growing metro outside the Texas Triangle.Texas gov should support El Paso because the potential is huge for the economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso