Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:27 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,377,592 times

Advertisements

LBM,
I NEVER HAVE SAID THAT PIT BULLS SHOULD BE BANNED , I DIDN'T MAKE THE NEIGHBOR WACK HIS PIT BULL EVEN AFTER 3 ATTACKS ! I DON'T WANT THE GOVT TELLING ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT OWN WHETHER IT BE DOGS OR SUV'S! ALL I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT HERE IS THAT YES I BELIEVE THAT ALLOT OF THE ATTACKS ARE CAUSED BY OWNERS WHO DON'T KNOW ANYMORE ABOUT DOGS THAN THEY DO ABOUT BEING RESPONSIBLE PARENTS! whoops (I'M USING CAPS MY MISTAKE) but i also know from experience that this breed was bred to attack especially dogs! it is genetic, they cant always control their emotions. my neighbor raised old Sampson very good he even took him for the most important duty of an owner and that is the daily walk! The walk isn't so much for exercise its for mentally being part of the pack and it establishes you as his/her pack leader...unless you let the dog walk you then its worthless . but beware its not 100% guaranteed but the risk is high that at some time of your dogs life it will just do what it was bred to do...attack unprovoked, all the love and caring wont change it, it would be like saying love can keep you from being a diabetic when it runs in your family genes. just keep your insurance up in case it happens

Old 05-05-2007, 06:08 PM

43 posts, read 147,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
LBM,
I NEVER HAVE SAID THAT PIT BULLS SHOULD BE BANNED , I DIDN'T MAKE THE NEIGHBOR WACK HIS PIT BULL EVEN AFTER 3 ATTACKS ! I DON'T WANT THE GOVT TELLING ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT OWN WHETHER IT BE DOGS OR SUV'S! ALL I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT HERE IS THAT YES I BELIEVE THAT ALLOT OF THE ATTACKS ARE CAUSED BY OWNERS WHO DON'T KNOW ANYMORE ABOUT DOGS THAN THEY DO ABOUT BEING RESPONSIBLE PARENTS! whoops (I'M USING CAPS MY MISTAKE) but i also know from experience that this breed was bred to attack especially dogs! it is genetic, they cant always control their emotions. my neighbor raised old Sampson very good he even took him for the most important duty of an owner and that is the daily walk! The walk isn't so much for exercise its for mentally being part of the pack and it establishes you as his/her pack leader...unless you let the dog walk you then its worthless . but beware its not 100% guaranteed but the risk is high that at some time of your dogs life it will just do what it was bred to do...attack unprovoked, all the love and caring wont change it, it would be like saying love can keep you from being a diabetic when it runs in your family genes. just keep your insurance up in case it happens
I'm sorry if you thought my post was directed at you, I was just using it as a reference to alot of other posts on this thread.

You are right that this dog was bred to fight, dogs, just as other dogs were bred to fight, or hunt, or kill, or herd. That is the story of a working dog, the APBT is no different.

Times are different now, and we as responsible dog owners need to adjust to these changes. Most people who own Blue Heelers are not working their dogs as herders. Most Rat Terrier owners are not working their dogs as small game hunters. Most Labrador Retriever owners are not working their dogs as hunters.
The point is, we have bred these dogs to be what they are, and because of that,it is our SOLE RESPONSIBILITY to assure that these animals are well transitioned to their new roles. It's not their fault that we don't need them to preform the jobs they were bred to do. It's our respnsibility to care for, and nurture, not abandon and neglect. I feel nothing but disgust for those people that damn the dogs like pit bulls when we as the human race have made them what they are!!!

We need to fix the damage we have done! We need to make it up to these dogs, they did not ask for this fate, we dealt it to them!

Sorry, got a bit heated there with my response, this happens on occassion, I'm just, ya know, passionate.

Jaime

Old 05-05-2007, 07:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
I posted this on another thread....and I've cast my vote for crappy owners/backyard breeders turning out crappy dogs. Thanks for recognizing that the working dogs are just that, and require the time and effort to turn them into the wonderful companions they can be.

PitBullMommie and tiagagirl and lovebeing me-

Thank you for supporting the "bully breeds" - I have been in Rottweiler rescue for a number of years and have 6, along with a Muttsky. My dogs are MY responsibility - to contain, to protect, and train. If I fall down on the job, then I've not only caused a potentially horrible situation, but I have done damage to the breed I love the most. Rotts and Pits seem to have the worst reputations, and I will tell you up front that it would probably not be in your best interests to come into my home without an invitation. Even people we know, we are careful with.....and if the person is totally unknown to the dogs, off to the crates they go. That's keeping my dogs safe AND our visitors safe.

My crew? A 15 year old who was given up when she was 12 and "about to die" - a Texas pit fighting puppy who at 7 months old was a complete train wreck of injuries and illnesses but is now 3 years old and my heart dog - a 7 year old female who was tied to the animal shelter lamppost in the middle of a night when we had an ice storm...recently separated from her pups and weighing 43 lbs., a 4 year old female that looks more hound that Rott because of some irresponsible breeder, a 4 year old male that is just a beagle with Rottie coloring, and a 17 month old blind Rottie male who had to have his eyes removed due to congenital glaucoma, all from poor breeding - and muttsky, who is now 11 years old and was thrown out of a car on the interstate in front of me. Any or all of these dogs could have the potential to hate the human race....none do. We can't save them all, and there are dogs that aren't wired right - but to breed ban, in my eyes, is the same as racial profiling. Not all dogs are created equal just because they have the same coloring or basic family tree.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 PM

43 posts, read 147,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I posted this on another thread....and I've cast my vote for crappy owners/backyard breeders turning out crappy dogs. Thanks for recognizing that the working dogs are just that, and require the time and effort to turn them into the wonderful companions they can be.

Thank you for supporting the "bully breeds" - I have been in Rottweiler rescue for a number of years and have 6, along with a Muttsky. My dogs are MY responsibility - to contain, to protect, and train. If I fall down on the job, then I've not only caused a potentially horrible situation, but I have done damage to the breed I love the most. Rotts and Pits seem to have the worst reputations, and I will tell you up front that it would probably not be in your best interests to come into my home without an invitation. Even people we know, we are careful with.....and if the person is totally unknown to the dogs, off to the crates they go. That's keeping my dogs safe AND our visitors safe.

My crew? A 15 year old who was given up when she was 12 and "about to die" - a Texas pit fighting puppy who at 7 months old was a complete train wreck of injuries and illnesses but is now 3 years old and my heart dog - a 7 year old female who was tied to the animal shelter lamppost in the middle of a night when we had an ice storm...recently separated from her pups and weighing 43 lbs., a 4 year old female that looks more hound that Rott because of some irresponsible breeder, a 4 year old male that is just a beagle with Rottie coloring, and a 17 month old blind Rottie male who had to have his eyes removed due to congenital glaucoma, all from poor breeding - and muttsky, who is now 11 years old and was thrown out of a car on the interstate in front of me. Any or all of these dogs could have the potential to hate the human race....none do. We can't save them all, and there are dogs that aren't wired right - but to breed ban, in my eyes, is the same as racial profiling. Not all dogs are created equal just because they have the same coloring or basic family tree.
I just want to say...

Thanks you so much for all you have done. You have saved so many. Please know I am so thankful that there are other people out there in the world just like you.
I am glad that I am not alone.
God Bless.

Jaime

Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Your dogs sound great, and they are so lucky! Thank you so much for everything you do! I wish there were more people like you in the world. You give us, and I am sure alot of other owners, hope. Its so nice to see that there are other people out there that care about these "dangerous" breeds, and that do so much to help them! Thanks so much!

~Kim, Brooklyn and Destiny!~

Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times
http://www.bullypulpitonline.com/pix/PitBull.jpg (broken link)

Aw c'mon now haters. You know you went weak in the knees there for a bit.

DOGS RULE!!!! (all of them)

Old 05-12-2007, 04:24 PM

prettyhatemachine... what a cute puppy! Is it yours? What breed is it?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
prettyhatemachine... what a cute puppy! Is it yours? What breed is it?
No. I wish. Just wanted to post a pic of a pitbull puppy.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:36 PM

aww.. lol.. That is definitly a cute picture! lol!..

These are our american pit bull terriers... Brooklyn is our 1 year old male and Destiny is our 4 month old female...

This is Brooklyn and Desi chillin on the sofa! lol.. This is when we first got desi, she was 2.5lbs!

This is a more recent picture.. They both look mad but thats because I had just woke them up.. lol.. here Desi is about 15-20lbs and Brooklyn is about 65-70lbs.. It is amazing how much Desi has grown since we first got her!

Neither of those are great pictures, and Desi has grown even more since then but I just wanted to show you our babies! We love them sooo much!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,658 times
My homeowners insurance cancelled me because I had a Chow, I didn't, I have a black Pomeranian/Sheltie mix , turns out my insurance company goes around to thier clients homes and checks to see what kinds of dogs you have, if you have a Pit bull or Pit Bull mix, Chows, Dobermans and I think thier was another you get cancelled and here in Florida its no laughing matter.
I am one of those people that think that if you make your dog a weapon you should be euthanized or at least neutered.
I have back yard neighbors who have a Pit Bull mix tied up behind a very good privacy fence, they have custody of eleven kids and none of the kids are allowed to go in the back yard, I feel so bad for the dog, no company,no hugs, no belly rubs, no walks, just a dish of food daily. What kind of message does that send to the kids and what kind of dog is this making?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs