Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,573,857 times

Advertisements

I have 3 older dogs, an 18 year old shih tzu, an 11 year old and 9 year old mutt. I made an appointment to euthanize my shih tzu this coming Friday. When I got her she was already 12 but very lively, despite having congestive heart failure. The last year or so, the hearing went, vision's almost gone, and it's gotten harder for her to get around or even interact with anyone. She still eats, still tries to take short walks outside but I think she also has some dementia so, it's time. My two other dogs have aged in the last 6 months--they are both larger dogs so, their timeline will be shorter. In the past I've never understood older people who were dog people all their lives but who, after putting their last dog down, refused to ever get another. I have always had dogs but am now beginning to understand. Losing an old dog reminds us not only of loss, but of our own mortality. I don't know if I want to experience this loss again in another 10 -14 years when I will be much older. I love having dogs and usually prefer their company to people's but, it is so difficult to watch them get old, to withdrawl from you and lose their zest for life. I wonder if its worth it to continue to go through it. Currently I have a house guest with a young dog (3 years old). When you have older dogs, you forget just how enthusiastic and happy young dogs are. Just wonder if in the future I would be better off volunteering with animals somewhere, rather than going through this loss again. Wondered if others out there elect to go dogless after losing a few to age and illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,537,761 times
I do know people who have given up having dogs for that reason. You could always foster dogs that need homes. There is always a great need for foster families.
I'm very sorry about your shih tzu.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,567,167 times
I understand what you are talking about but I doubt I would be very happy without a dog and I doubt you would be either. Anybody who has 3 dogs is a dog lover and if you work with a rescue, you will fall in love with a dog sooner or later. I think it is up to us older folks to adopt older dogs. Some young families want and need the puppies but a puppy would not be good for us right now.
I'm sorry about your dog. I know this is heartbreaking and I admire your strength. Don't let yourself be too scared to love a dog again.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,357,277 times
I spaced the ages of my dogs out so I would always have one and then get another playmate for that one and it has worked out beautifully. Also, the expense of having serveral really older dogs can be a bit much and I wanted to make sure I could take care of each of their medical needs as that time came. I have a cocker spaniel who is almost 15 16 years old, there's a 8 year old and soon to be a 7 month old who will basically fill the void of the cocker. I always said cockers live forever and she's a real trooper.

I fell in love with the Shar pei breed and had two at one time, but now I have different kinds and I'm glad I didn't just stick to the one breed because each one of them has something about their personalities which makes me see the world in a whole different light.

Don't be afraid to love again. I have always looked at the passing of a dog as their way of saying I've given you all I could and you to me and now there is someone else out there who needs your love. Go forth with their blessing.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 10,629,553 times
My parents lost their dog to cancer and they decided they would try and live without a dog, even though they always had a dog. Well, that lasted about 3 months and my Mom just couldn't take it any longer. Her whole routine was different without a dog and she missed the companionship. So my parents adopted another dog.

My parents are in their 70's and the place they got the dog asked if there was someone in the family that would be willing to take the dog if something should happen to them before the dog died. And of course, that person is me. I am a dog lover too. My dog passed away a few months after my parents dog did. It went 6 days and finally adopted a dog again. I have always been a dog lover. It runs in my family. Life isn't the same without a dog.

My advice is - get another dog. Haven't you heard that people who have dogs live longer and are happier?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,521,459 times
I too understand how you feel, but I could never not have a few dogs in the house. I've got 16 running around my house playing right now between mine, temp fosters and my daughter's dogs. It's wonderful seeing so many happy little faces. The time will come when they'll all be gone, but there will always be more that need homes and love so they don't die in the hands of strangers - sometimes unfeeling, uncaring strangers - and never knowing love. It hurts letting them go, but after so many years I guess I've come to terms with it. I handle it better than most people I guess. I see euthanizing them as the ultimate act of love. You give them your heart and the best life you can and when their quality of life is gone and won't return, you let them go knowing you're relieving their suffering which will leave you in pain. What could be more giving than that?

Homes without dogs - or pets of some kind - just feel cold and sterile to me. They're just buildings. No heart or soul. It's the love of an animal companion that makes it a home, IMO.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM

298 posts, read 708,330 times
Your dog gives you unconditional love throughout its life. You can honor that love by making a home for another loving dog. A dog lover will not ever be happy without a furry face to greet him each morning. Sorry for the loss of your baby.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,985,869 times
personally id be a big gaping hole of a mess if i didnt have at least 1 animal in my life at all times...
its hard to loose them i absoultly agree, but i also dont feel whole wihtout them either...

i do think perhaps working as a foster parent for your local shelter might be a good choice for you

Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,357,277 times
This sort of reminds me of this event. A family had adopted one of my rescue dogs. We had met at the house and all with a couple dogs so they could pick one out. They came to the Saturday event to finish the paperwork and take him home.

The mom was telling me on the phone the night before the young boy had cried and told her he just didn't want to forget Happy if they got a new dog. I had the collar from my deceased shar pei and on it was a small bone which said, "I Love Dogs" and I took it off and I told him, I have something for you and I knelt down and told him where it came from and that we'd put it on Obie's (the new dog's) collar as a constant reminder of Happy and that it was because of Happy this little guy they adopted is still alive and will get all the best love in the world. Happy would be proud.

So, there are many ways we can honor the love of a passed pet.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,649,052 times
Sometimes I think people want a break from the commitment (and often being tied down) of animals. But if there's an animal-shaped place in their hearts and lives, they'll get another one.
I have mostly senior adoptions in the past several years, and 1-2 losses a year. It's not the same as losing dogs I got as puppies (RIP, Kiko and Kona!) since I sort of expect them to come to their end sooner and not later (and still am glad to have known them and to give a sweet senior a quiet home in later years). My current youngest is 10, a very active BC/heeler mix, and I'm adopting a playmate for him- likely a 6-year-old BC who can't live with kids (neither can I!). I worry that my household will be too quiet for him, and I will have to make the commitment to get out more while the others snore away. (My terrier mix, who is about 13, came to me last year with the assessment of, "He loves being petted and he enjoys napping." Does he ever!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs