Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,356 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry to hear about your shih tzu. In 2005 I had a very hard time after putting my first dog to sleep. At that time I also had another dog, who I had to put to sleep in 2006. I did not want the heartache of having to go through that again. After 6 months of no dogs (I did have cats though) I could not have the quietness anymore. My home felt empy without a dog, as did my life. I have 2 now. I've thought about fostering eventually, but I almost think that would be very hard to do. I'm sure I would be a foster failure. Whatever you decide in the future, adopt, foster, volunteer...any of those will increase the life of that dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I lost my minipoodle last Feb to congestive heart failure/Lasix induced kidney failure. It was difficult as we had fought for the better part of a year to keep her alive, giving her literally 12 pills in the morning, and 12 in the evening paying $15k in vet bills and even taking her heart rate with a stethoscope and adjusting her meds and giving IV fluids. We told ourselves we'd wait a while before getting another. However, after just a few days the house was so empty and the emptiness just made the pain worse. I was a mess and my mother was popping panic and sleep-aids too much. 1 week later we got Sari our Moyen Poodle Pup and it really helped us.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
I hear you... I guess I just don't remember how bad it feels to put one down. My last dog was euthanized after running head first into a metal pole while chasing a squirrel. Since he was virtually brain dead, it was immediate--get him to the vet and out of misery ASAP. Prior to him, I put down a dog (whom I was more bonded to than any other before or after) back in 96 who was just very old, arthritic and in pain and although I know it was difficult, I guess you don't really remember the pain after some years. I knew it was time for her to go and felt relieved once it was over. Now, I have a dog who is failing in so many ways; deaf, almost completely blind, legs giving out, mild dementia--its hard to watch her but, at the same time, she still wants to go outside, tries to wander around the property, even though her legs start to give out and she gets disoriented. She just doesn't seem to want to give up. I think that's why it's so hard to make the decision for her. Her body has failed her but she's always been a very stubborn girl so, she tries to get out, take her walks, etc. She rarely gets more than 60 feet before I have to carry her back inside but, she still tries. And I look at my 2 other dogs who are aging and I see them watching her; one of them constantly licks her from head to toe as if to comfort her. It just sucks. I know I'm probably incapable of going very long without a dog. I tried it once after I put my dog down in 96, lasted all of about 6 months before finding a stray on a street corner. Appreciate everyone's comments.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Wow, I am so impressed with all the comments on this thread. What an outstanding group of people here.
I prefer animals to people, and can't stand children. I have rescued and fostered pitbulls for many years. My husband and I are older now. We have 3 pitbulls 12,9,4, and a retriever mix around 7. The eldest I got at 10 months, she is my pride and joy. Her knees and hips have always been bad, but they've gotten worse over the years. The other day, something snapped when she was running, and now she can barely walk and the pain meds don't seem to be helping. I have an apptmt. at the vets today, and may put her down if there is nothing more I can do for her. This is killing me - but I can't bear to see her suffer. The worst part is that she still has the zeal to try to play with our other dogs, but her legs won't cooperate. I had to carry her to bed lastnight. She can barely stand.
What was the topic? No, I wouldn't want to live without a dog, but I don't want them to outlive me, either.

Last edited by claudhopper; 05-10-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,022 times
I have had dogs throughout my whole life and honestly I simply cannot live without them.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
. I worry that my household will be too quiet for him,
I had two dogs originally and the Shar pei was hit and killed by a truck and I remember the next day the other was walking from room to room to room looking for her. They were EXTREMELY close as you can see from the picture here.

If my heart wasn't ripped out enough the look on the existing dog's face sent me right over the 20 boxes of tissues edge.

I did not wait long to adopt another and the biggest reason - It was just too QUIET in the house without her almost deafening silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, I wouldn't want to live without a dog, but I don't want them to outlive me, either.
I know I sent you a note on this, but for the sake of others, my family and friends are well aware of my wishes and it is in my will, that if my death preceedes that of any animal I have at the time they are to go to the rescue I foster for. Just something to think about.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 AM

592 posts, read 1,813,972 times
We thought we wouldn't get another dog after our 17 year old mini poodle died. We actually lasted about 9 months, but I couldn't take it anymore, and started campaigning for another dog. DH was against it. We got one and guess who is a real sap about the new one. Him! He babies her all the time and she adores him. Now we're a "family" again. Can't live without 'em when you're a dog person, your home and home life just feel empty somehow.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Wow, I am so impressed with all the comments on this thread. What an outstanding group of people here.
I prefer animals to people, and can't stand children. I have rescued and fostered pitbulls for many years. My husband and I are older now. We have 3 pitbulls 12,9,4, and a retriever mix around 7. The eldest I got at 10 months, she is my pride and joy. Her knees and hips have always been bad, but they've gotten worse over the years. The other day, something snapped when she was running, and now she can barely walk and the pain meds don't seem to be helping. I have an apptmt. at the vets today, and may put her down if there is nothing more I can do for her. This is killing me - but I can't bear to see her suffer. The worst part is that she still has the zeal to try to play with our other dogs, but her legs won't cooperate. I had to carry her to bed lastnight. She can barely stand.
What was the topic? No, I wouldn't want to live without a dog, but I don't want them to outlive me, either.
So sorry about your girl. I hope that its nothing too serious, especially if she is still enjoying life. Wishing you both a good outcome at the vets office.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,663 times
The only reason I would consider not getting another dog is when I am old.

There are a few things to consider whether I will be fit enough to own a dog and whether I am healthy enough to out live the dog.

The joys of owning a pet outweighs the pain of losing a pet.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
So sorry about your girl. I hope that its nothing too serious, especially if she is still enjoying life. Wishing you both a good outcome at the vets office.
Thank you so much Col. My vet just called - she can't believe what the xrays show - my dogs back hips are a mess, her knees are badly arthritic, and there is what looks like a piece of bone in a place it shouldn't be. She will be consulting with a radiologist and keeping my dog for a couple days. Then I will have a better idea what the future holds.
I will go visit her tomorrow, so she will know I haven't abandoned her.
It is very comforting to come home to my other 3 dogs. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself, we're going to play frizbee.
chin up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs