Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,542,513 times

Advertisements

Good idea, Dawn. We lost 2 dogs in 2 weeks a couple of years ago, and a dogless house is so awfully quiet. You have to do something.
Now go play with Artie and stop thinking about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,304,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Good idea, Dawn. We lost 2 dogs in 2 weeks a couple of years ago, and a dogless house is so awfully quiet. You have to do something.
Now go play with Artie and stop thinking about it!
Two dogs in two weeks??!?! Oh...! I'm so sorry.

I'll stop thinking about it. Thank you. I'm going to take him for his last walk of the night. Thank you for reminding me to think of the good stuff and not the bad. xo

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,424,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I suggested this earlier to the OP, but it might be good for you, to foster dogs. The shelter/rescue will cover medical expenses and sometimes food and supplies. And you'd be doing a great service to a deserving dog.
Unfortunatly not in my area, fosters are expected to pay for food, supplies and basic vet stuff. Besides my 10 acres wouldn't qualify, I just have my arena fenced and it's not contiguous to the house.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,354,992 times
For me, it's very simple: I MUST have a dog.

The day I decide to go without a dog in my household is the day I have decided to check out early.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
For me, it's very simple: I MUST have a dog.

The day I decide to go without a dog in my household is the day I have decided to check out early.

ditto for me....

i just lost my max-cat pretty suddenly on tuesday morning and as much as i love my kitties, i don't think i will be getting another any time soon.... still have charlie-chubby-girl, though.....

but the dogs?? now that i have experienced the joy of their companionship and devotion, there is no way could i ever be dogless.....

Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,304,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ditto for me....

i just lost my max-cat pretty suddenly on tuesday morning and as much as i love my kitties, i don't think i will be getting another any time soon.... still have charlie-chubby-girl, though.....

but the dogs?? now that i have experienced the joy of their companionship and devotion, there is no way could i ever be dogless.....
E!!!! The last I read on FB was that you took Max-Cat to the vet because he was pukey. I feel terrible for not having followed up with you! And I feel even more terrible that you lost your boy. I'm so sorry, sweets. xo

Old 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM

3,766 posts, read 12,480,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ditto for me....

Oh E - I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty!

It breaks my heart each and every time I lose one of our very dear fur-kids. At the same time - I could never have a home without them. It would be too quiet and way to lonely!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
E!!!! The last I read on FB was that you took Max-Cat to the vet because he was pukey. I feel terrible for not having followed up with you! And I feel even more terrible that you lost your boy. I'm so sorry, sweets. xo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Oh E - I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty!

It breaks my heart each and every time I lose one of our very dear fur-kids. At the same time - I could never have a home without them. It would be too quiet and way to lonely!

no worries..... i was so wound up tuesday morning waiting until i could take him to the vet, i started a thread in the cats forum, too....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l#post19722654

and now, back to our originally scheduled programming.....

Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,310,661 times
No such thing. I will always have dogs. Having dogs is the same as breathing air or drinking water.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,445,914 times
We were dogless for 2 years after we lost our 17yo dog... the kids finally badgered us into it and we got a very fun puppy as the kids had never experienced a puppy.
When we are older, I plan on fostering or adopting an older rescue. We did an older rescue once an 8yo, we had her to the ripe old age of 17, it was extremely rewarding and she turned out to be a great dog who loved the kids.
I can see taking a "break" though, after you go through the old dog caretaking thing, it wears you out and puts you through the wringer for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs