Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

298 posts, read 704,695 times

Advertisements

Not get another dog? Nope, that thought never occurred to me!!???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,327 times
Default dogs better company than humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have 3 older dogs, an 18 year old shih tzu, an 11 year old and 9 year old mutt. I made an appointment to euthanize my shih tzu this coming Friday. When I got her she was already 12 but very lively, despite having congestive heart failure. The last year or so, the hearing went, vision's almost gone, and it's gotten harder for her to get around or even interact with anyone. She still eats, still tries to take short walks outside but I think she also has some dementia so, it's time. My two other dogs have aged in the last 6 months--they are both larger dogs so, their timeline will be shorter. In the past I've never understood older people who were dog people all their lives but who, after putting their last dog down, refused to ever get another. I have always had dogs but am now beginning to understand. Losing an old dog reminds us not only of loss, but of our own mortality. I don't know if I want to experience this loss again in another 10 -14 years when I will be much older. I love having dogs and usually prefer their company to people's but, it is so difficult to watch them get old, to withdrawl from you and lose their zest for life. I wonder if its worth it to continue to go through it. Currently I have a house guest with a young dog (3 years old). When you have older dogs, you forget just how enthusiastic and happy young dogs are. Just wonder if in the future I would be better off volunteering with animals somewhere, rather than going through this loss again. Wondered if others out there elect to go dogless after losing a few to age and illness.
My girl friend have a Toy poodle that live little over 18 years,and die kidney failure last week,but all most all his life was pretty healthy,he been bite little by his ear by a pitbull years go but he survive miraculously,i treat his wound bite with honey and heal fast in 1 week was like new,but the poor guy was not so lucky with the kidney failure,he won't eat not drink and barely walk.Poodles have very friendly attitude and good personality,are also very intelligent dogs.If you lucky and are healthy they can live long,i personally i will adopt new one rather than buy it,but buy one from shelter or dog rescue missions you don't know how abused was and what are the health past issues,sadly my girl friend was to traumatized losing her dog and don't want have another dog.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 PM

332 posts, read 498,742 times
I have thought about this question before.

I can't imagine a house without dogs anymore however it depends on my circumstances at the time. I lost a lab a few years ago (she was 7) but I still have her brother who is now 10. He could never be an "only dog". Fortunately my current housemate has a few little dogs so my big guy is happy. If, when I move (and if big guy is still healthy and happy), I am in a position to have dogs (not renting) then I definitely will. I will most likely take two of my sisters little guys who my dog loves.

I agree that fostering may be a good option if you are willing to see them leave when they get a "forever home".

Losing a dog is traumatic but I guess you just have to weigh that up against the love that they give you during their lives, and the fact that you can give a dog a good home. Plenty of dogs need one!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
We decided our Basset will be the last. We got a kitten instead. Lately I've been seeing Labradors and miss my old yellow we PTS two years ago. I'd love to have another, but I'm not dealing with hair again. Maybe. Depending. I'd have to figure out a breed that fills that spot in my heart but doesn't shed. I don't know.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM

332 posts, read 498,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We decided our Basset will be the last. We got a kitten instead. Lately I've been seeing Labradors and miss my old yellow we PTS two years ago. I'd love to have another, but I'm not dealing with hair again. Maybe. Depending. I'd have to figure out a breed that fills that spot in my heart but doesn't shed. I don't know.
Ahh yes, the hair. My mother loves my big black lab and often remarks that she wants to steal him. In reality, it's all that hair that would stop her! Still, he is worth all that vacuuming to me.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
It's hard for me to fathom being without dogs in my life.

This sums up my feelings about dogs and losing them:

This Boy Found Out His Dog Had To Be Put Down And His Reaction Blew My Mind | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Ahh yes, the hair. My mother loves my big black lab and often remarks that she wants to steal him. In reality, it's all that hair that would stop her! Still, he is worth all that vacuuming to me.
Our old yellow lab was worth the vacuuming too. He lived 17 years. Since we already had him, it was worth it because we loved him. Since I don't want to commit to another two decades of dog hair, I can have the foresight to not fall in love with another one that sheds. lol

My Basset doesn't shed as much. There aren't tumbleweeds rolling around on the floor like with the lab. But I still deal with dog hair on the upholstered furniture and my clothes. I'm tired of changing my clothes three times a day and buying clothes only in colors that match my dog.

Yeah, it will have to be a dog that doesn't shed. I just can't imagine which non-shedding bred would steal my heart.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
It's hard for me to fathom being without dogs in my life.

This sums up my feelings about dogs and losing them:

This Boy Found Out His Dog Had To Be Put Down And His Reaction Blew My Mind | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.
That's sooooooooooo sweet! Thank you for sharing it with me.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM

24 posts, read 129,701 times
There's some kind of saying about life being measured in the number of dogs one has loved and lost. It is heartbreaking but giving them a good home when they may otherwise not have quality of life or even life itself. Dogs are proven to bring many health benefits to people, lower blood pressure and stress along with other things.
It's always a good idea to get another dog if you have the room, the finances to feed and care for it and the time. The dog will care for you too and while you may lose it one day, your heart will stay warm for the rest of your life. Your own quality of life may well be improved if you do.
Hope you always adopt dogs too, shelters are full and lives lost every single day. Many dog breeds are there, pure breeds and mixed breeds, many talented and intelligent dogs come from shelters so DO check your local shelter if you start thinking about getting another dog.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I wrote something out and deleted it, thinking it's not my place, but I'm going to say it anyway. Looking back at my rescue days, I know I over-extended myself. I had always wanted a houseful of animals and I got it. I learned as I went along, and one thing I would pass on, is a warning not to spread yourself too thin. They all need individual attention and time devoted to them alone. Even Cesar Millan limits his household. Just keep that in mind, or you'll run yourself ragged, and that's not good for you or them.
Very true...I've worked in rescue and fostered on and off for 15 years and my pack has grown because I've had to adopt a couple who had no applications...because of their age. It broke my heart to stop fostering, knowing there are hundreds...thousands of dogs desperately needing a safe place to be but I know my limits.

But my own four dogs deserve my attention too, that one on one time, and it's getting harder and harder to do this. I'm in my early 60's...my dogs are 13, an old Lab mix we adopted as a pup, the two Boston Terrier girls who are now 10 and almost 9...then my sweet boy Wolfgang, a French Bulldog...he's 5 1/2. Then there's Sammy Davis...the perfect gentleman, Boston Terrier, who'd been sold multiple times, given away, abandoned yet he was potty trained, knew basic obedience, had wonderful social skills, good with other dogs and children...no one wanted him so we had to keep him. It's very hard having five dogs and I am spread too thin but I will honor my commitment to them.

Didn't mean to get off track. I'll close my post with this short piece that touched me many years ago.

"I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs