Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,420,258 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for your loss. When my last dog died, it seemed like my life was so different from when I got him, that getting a dog was just not going to fit with my current life. He was a part of my past that included young children, and a large house with a yard. Now, I have no kids at home, and live in a small apt. Things changed in my life, so I got a cat instead. But it is not the same. I miss having a dog so much, it is difficult. So, I understand, but think if you can, you should get another dog.

My friend who is blind had a guide dog for 14 years, when that dog passed, he went into such a grief, he swore he would never go thru that pain again. But after two years of not having a dog, he realized how empty his life was, so he went and got another dog. He still greives over his last dog, some animals are extra special. But this new dog has cheered him up so much...

Think about it...i know it is a difficult choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Just wonder if in the future I would be better off volunteering with animals somewhere, rather than going through this loss again. Wondered if others out there elect to go dogless after losing a few to age and illness.
Very sorry to hear about the events of the last few days. Everyone will have (and have had) different opinions about this, but I can only share my own experience (note - long answer):

Sixteen months ago, the day after Christmas that year, I came home from running errands and let my 3 dogs out. My then 12 1/2 year old Shepherd mix who had no history of any health problems, walked out into the middle of the yard, staggered, fell over, and was dead in less than 5 minutes. Long story short, the conclusion was a common heart failure diagnosis. If anyone had told me in the past that the loss of a pet would devastate me as much as it did (and to a degree still does), I would have though they were crazy, because this dog was so much like a human kid in terms of intelligence, it really was (to not offend anyone) like losing a child. The funny video of the voice-overed dog is a near exact representation of the type of interactions I had with that dog.

Six months later, to the day, I had to have her companion (Retriever mix) put to sleep when she succumbed to lymphoma Cancer. I had to pay extra to have a service come to the house to do it, as I was still so freaked out over dog # 1 I was unable to take dog # 2 to the vet to have it done there.

It's now been nearly 11 months since that. I have one dog left, a B-Collie mix that is around 13 years old. I've watched her face turn White with age, her energy fade, and know that most likely within a year or less, her time will come too. After that, there are no more dogs. Ok, so that is the history, and now how I feel about your own concerns:

I'm a single guy who has a few minor health issues himself due to an old car accident and just plain age. I really care/cared for my dogs a lot, and they brought a great deal of happiness, fun, and companionship into my life. Now, I have to admit, that they did also bring some heft expenses at times, and my social life suffered a good bit for many years as I rarely was able to line up proper sitters, so the whole idea of "weekend trips", or "vacations" were pretty foreign to me during this time period in my life, too. We try to avoid thinking of bad things, but I've had to really closely examine myself inside out as to what I'm going to do after dog # 3 is gone.

I know a couple of vets and know one guy who's actually a shrink. I've been told that the first days that I'm "dogless", it will most likely be an adjustment that will be harder than most anything I've dealt with, and that most people who have had dogs for 13+ years who suddenly find themselves without them do indeed sometimes rush out to adopt a new one in order to eliminate that incredible feeling of loss, alone-ness, etc. All I can say is that I do plan on being "dogless" for as long as possible, and I hope to fill my spare time with traveling, socializing (what is that?) again, etc. I might only last a few months, or maybe years - but if/when I do decide to get one, I'll just have ONE dog, at least 1-2 years old out of the pup stage, adopted from a shelter. But I really do think that it's healthy for people (imo) to allow themselves a period of not having dogs after they lose the ones they have so they can adjust their outlook, emotions, etc. A "break" I think, is healthy. I've only been describing my own thoughts and feelings about what I will do - and you may be completely different, but my friend does say (and I trust his opinion) that breaks are healthy for anyone.

Last note (take a breath): Some people have indeed volunteered their time with local shelters and groups to fill the gaps. It works for some, but for others, it's too much like being in a doughnut shop if you're on a diet - there's too much temptation to bring one home. Alternate suggestion - take a vacation to Utah (yes) to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. You can stay in a room nearby and spend a few days caring for animals in a ranch/farm type setting, and due to the distance won't be tempted to bring them all home with you - and it's still a relaxing place to take a vacation. Numerous people who have lost pets have posted online in various places about making annual or semi-annual trips to this place to be able to be around dogs again, help them, without having to take on the full time responsibility of owning them again Info - here.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Excellent post. I missed having Sam, but my entire life is so different now, I work more, don't come home every day at 1600. I travel more. Really, I miss him very much, but my life is not the same. Everything changed. Get a cat though, Jasper greets me each day, sleeps with me, follows me around the house. He is a rescued cat, I did not get him as a kitten. Think about it. I had no pets for a year, and I was lonely for one.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Excellent post. I missed having Sam, but my entire life is so different now, I work more, don't come home every day at 1600. I travel more. Really, I miss him very much, but my life is not the same. Everything changed. Get a cat though, Jasper greets me each day, sleeps with me, follows me around the house. He is a rescued cat, I did not get him as a kitten. Think about it. I had no pets for a year, and I was lonely for one.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

237 posts, read 968,751 times
I do not think I will do it again. I have had my shih tzu for 15 years and so I have not gone on vacation for 15 years because I wont board him. Now he is too old for anyone to watch. I worry constantly about him. Im not kidding I obsess about it to the point I have lost 10 pounds in 1 year because of him aging. He still eats and can go outside by himself and no problems pooping or peeing everywhere. He still gets excited when I get home thats when he realizes im home. He is partially blind and deaf at this point so I think he can smell me when Im home. But no i really dont think i will put myself through this again!!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,993,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I couldn't agree more!

Although I hate to think of losing my dogs (11 and 8-9), we will continue to adopt. Not to replace our beloved dogs, but to give another dog a chance at a good life.
This is exactly how I feel.

I lost my 7 year old lab to cancer last October. I knew that I wanted to rescue another black lab as black dogs often struggle to leave the shelter. I wanted to honor Jack's memory by rescuing a black dog, I knew there was never any replacing him.

I started looking about 3 months after he died and found black lab in a rural shelter. He looked sad (and pathetic!) in the picture and he just called out to me. He was 5 years old, neglected (and allegedly kicked on occassion) by his previous owners, tied outside day and night. He was an escape artist at the shelter (twice went over their 7 foot fences) so a local volunteer took him home at nights.

He and I bonded immediately and he bonded with my other 2 dogs very quickly - one of the dogs was Jack's litter mate who was devastated by the loss as well. We couldn't have asked for a better addition to our family. I couldn't have imagined how much he helped with the healing process.

To the OP, sorry for rambling, but I think that you should give another dog a healthy, happy home....

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,094,312 times
I hate to say or admit this, but I think that Artie is my first dog (while I'm an adult, I mean; I had dogs when I was a kid) ... and my last.

Even before we got him, before we even MET him, I was thinking about how my heart would break into a gazillion pieces when I outlived him, which I obviously (hopefully?) would. But then I realized that by not adopting a dog, I wouldn't only avoid the future heartache, but I'd also miss out on the love. And he'd miss out on the love. So, I met and adopted Artie. And we love each other devotedly.

That said, there are many times that I look at him and wonder how I'm going to survive the day that he leaves me. (Crap! I'm crying as I'm typing this!) I'm going to be a basketcase, I know that. And I know, too, that one day I'll be "OK" again -- I'll only have the good memories and won't only feel sadness. But I think that I'll only be able to do that once. I'm not strong enough for more than that.

I know that I'll hate to think (and cry about) all the dogs that need homes when I'm without a dog in my house, but I'm just too weak to go through what I know I'll go through when Artie leaves me.

I'm going to go snuggle him now. (Still crying.)

Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,379,329 times
Not get another dog?...Never would I consider it. Right now my elderly (15ish) rescued JRT Gator is dying with cancer, I'm trying to make his last days the best. I owe him big time for the wonderful companionship he has given me.

If I wasn't in such dire financial straights right now, I'd start looking for my next dog, but sadly I can't until I can get a job, so I might be faced with being dogless for the first time in almost 40 years. I'm now 60 and single and the thought of being alone is not plesant. I have had a will for years designating who would take my dogs if something should happen to me - it's something we all should do - have a designated dog person who will take the dogs if something should happen. I'm not looking forward to being dogless, I know it will be very difficult for me.

For those who have dogs crossing or have crossed the bridge my heart goes out to you, I've been there and will be going there again soon. It's not easy, but the time they give us on this earth is priceless.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,456,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Not get another dog?...Never would I consider it. Right now my elderly (15ish) rescued JRT Gator is dying with cancer, I'm trying to make his last days the best. I owe him big time for the wonderful companionship he has given me.

If I wasn't in such dire financial straights right now, I'd start looking for my next dog, but sadly I can't until I can get a job, so I might be faced with being dogless for the first time in almost 40 years. I'm now 60 and single and the thought of being alone is not plesant. I have had a will for years designating who would take my dogs if something should happen to me - it's something we all should do - have a designated dog person who will take the dogs if something should happen. I'm not looking forward to being dogless, I know it will be very difficult for me.

For those who have dogs crossing or have crossed the bridge my heart goes out to you, I've been there and will be going there again soon. It's not easy, but the time they give us on this earth is priceless.
I suggested this earlier to the OP, but it might be good for you, to foster dogs. The shelter/rescue will cover medical expenses and sometimes food and supplies. And you'd be doing a great service to a deserving dog.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,094,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I suggested this earlier to the OP, but it might be good for you, to foster dogs. The shelter/rescue will cover medical expenses and sometimes food and supplies. And you'd be doing a great service to a deserving dog.
You just reminded me...

What I will do when Artie----I can't even write it------when Artie is no more is dog sitting.

In my current neighborhood -- and I hope it's the case in the neighborhood where I'm moving in August -- there are 43 dogs. It's like living in dogtown. I wish that Artie was more social because when my neighbors go on vacation, I'd love to dogsit their dogs because I love them all.

So when Artie is ...... gone ...... I think that I will offer to babysit for my neighbors dogs when they go away on vacation. That way I get my furry fix but I don't get *too* emotionally invested. (That said, when my friend's dog passed away a couple of years ago, I cried for days. But if Simba had been my dog, I'd have cried for years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs