Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 AM

833 posts, read 1,202,119 times

Advertisements

The best dog I ever owned Rosie past away on Friday at only 4 years old. We paid $2000 for the surgery (we didn't have it, and took out a loan) and the next day she past away. I swore I would never get another dog, but I am already wanting another. If it weren't for the betrayal I feel, I'd get one soon.

I would've never imagined how painful it would be for my wife and I. It's been reeeeeeeally hard. I actually sleep with her collar at night. She past away in my arms, in her bed. I knew she was dying for some odd reason - so I said everything I had to say, and told her to let go if she had too. She got up, licked my face, laid down and fell asleep. About 5 minutes later she was gone.

Luckily she died the way we all wish we would. In our favorite spot, in our loved ones arms, sleep, and last words given. I'll miss that dang dog....

But no. I could never see myself without a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM

857 posts, read 2,221,009 times
So sorry for you loosing your girl.

I think the house wouldn't be the same w/o a dog.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 AM

6 posts, read 5,772 times
We lost our 17 year old cocker a couple of years ago. He wandered out of the yard on a rainy night, which he never had done when we let him out (at least over the past several years) and we never saw him again. Walked the area most of the night and the rest of the next day and a number of people had seen him but he was nowhere to be found. The guilt we felt, and the not knowing what happened to him, was horrible. We grieved and reflected on how much more we could have done for him over that past few years when his health started to go downhill.

We swore at that time to not get another dog until I had retired and had the proper time to spent with it. As someone said earlier, I felt like there was a hole in our lives now that Buddy was gone. Yes, to not have to deal with a number of issues (boarding, vets, grooming, cleanups) was a bit of a relief, but in no way could begin to fill the emptiness we felt.

Visited a family member who had recently lost their old dog too and they had gotten a new pup, a Cavapoo. What a little fuzzball of love she is. So, within 2 weeks, I found a breeder of Cavapoos within 200 miles and started making calls. Long story short, born on October 02 2013, Colby is now one of our family. Yes, I had long since forgotten how much work a puppy can be, but I feel 10 years younger just being around him.

To the OP, yes, by all means keep a loving companion dog in your life, always!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,262,565 times
I know what you mean. We have been dog free for a few years now, thinking, since we're semi retired, we didn't want to be tied down to a dog. You've all heard the old joke about "when life begins", right? (When the last kid goes to college and the dog dies). We also didn't want the extra work from dog hair and muddy feet, etc.
Still, not a day goes by that I don't miss having a furry friend around. I imagine that at some point we will get a small rescue dog.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,705,289 times
When I went out on my own, I lived in apartments for a few years and had cats. When I bought my first house, I adopted a St. Bernard before the ink was dry. I felt then and still feel like it isn't really fair to a dog to not have a fenced yard.

Two years ago I was forced back into an apartment (wild fire) and still have my dog, the only thing I left with when we were evacuated. I'm elderly now and it's a dangerous chore to have to take her out several times a day, not to mention it breaks my heart to not be able to unleash her and let her run. So if I outlive her, my next pet will be back to a cat. As long as I'm able to put food and water into bowls, I'll have a pet, but probably not another dog.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,662,751 times
Same situation as Dale Cooper.
For the elderly, walking a dog in a city can be very dangerous, dog fights, icy sidewalks, getting sick and going out 5 times a day when you ARE sick but the worst thing is not being able to let your dog run. It is not good for the dog and will make them sick.
I got a bird but there is nothing like a dog.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,147,645 times
After my oup ws euthanized 5 years ago, I vowed never to get another dog. The prospect of losing another dog that I cared for so much was just too painful to think about. I lasted about 3 or 4 months, and paid a visit to our local animal shelter "just to look around". I came home with a little 18 month old Jack Russell mix. This natural born comedian has made me laugh through a chronic illness, and I thank God every day that I adopted him.

Choosing to get another dog after a loss is a difficult one. There will come a time that you will have to say goodbye, but the time before that awful day that is filled with love and life, IMHO, is worth it.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,942,863 times
I could NOT even consider another dog after a long illness and my last dog dying in 2004. I had gotten HIM 2 months after his predecessor died. I moved a block from my office to a rental with a "no pets" policy to prevent a wrong decision.

In 2007 I took early retirement, relocated out of state. Still no dog.

I started a pet sitting/dog walking business. I lived in a high rise and had clients on almost every floor at one time or other. Now I have hundreds of dogs whenever I want. Several are long term clients, live ins/overnights etc. And living with one in my home would be out of the question since it would cost me about $60.00 a day in "walks" and be neglected.

Best of both worlds, for ME.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,598,757 times
I have two small 12 year old dogs and will not be replacing them when they are gone. My reason really is just because my lifestyle has changed a lot in recent years and I am not home very much and have a very busy schedule. It isn't fair to a dog to be home all day without company and interaction which is also the reason I have two. I am also about to move into a small apartment where they will not have as much room to play during the day as they do here in my old house. Luckily being older they don't really need as much exercise as a young dog would.

I also have a cat and will continue to keep a cat since they are more independent and low maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs