Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,600,116 times

Advertisements

Thursday, it's been years since I was with a rescue group - but to be honest with you, I would never trust them with one of my dogs. I ended up turning in the woman that ran the org, for the way she kept her garage full of chi's and min-pins, some in crates, most running in their own excrement on the floor. It was bad. The shelter limited her to 6 at a time, after that. None of those women wanted to do pitbulls. I was the only one that would foster them. So my dogs cannot outlive me. They should only need to get rescued once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,245,559 times
The only reason I'd consider not getting another dog right now is because I am at my limit. My life has always been and will always be filled w/ dogs. My life would be empy w/o them.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM

553 posts, read 1,637,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
The only reason I would consider not getting another dog is when I am old.

The joys of owning a pet outweighs the pain of losing a pet.
I couldn't agree more!

Although I hate to think of losing my dogs (11 and 8-9), we will continue to adopt. Not to replace our beloved dogs, but to give another dog a chance at a good life.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,270,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Thursday, it's been years since I was with a rescue group - but to be honest with you, I would never trust them with one of my dogs. I ended up turning in the woman that ran the org, for the way she kept her garage full of chi's and min-pins, some in crates, most running in their own excrement on the floor. It was bad. The shelter limited her to 6 at a time, after that. None of those women wanted to do pitbulls. I was the only one that would foster them. So my dogs cannot outlive me. They should only need to get rescued once.
What a horrible experience with a rescue. It sounds just as bad as not being rescued at all and I'm so sorry for those pups. The rescue I work with is outstanding and their 'rules' are quite strick for the best interest of the dogs. My contingencies with my dogs would be if something unexpected should happen to me. I plan to outlive my dogs, but one never knows and I wouldn't want my extended family to just hand them out willy-nilly or worse have them put down because they are not the biggest animal lovers.

I'm young, but I got very ill once and almost died on my front porch. The doctor said if I had waited any longer I'd be dead. It was that event which prompted me to make sure my dogs would be properly handled in the event something should happen.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,600,116 times
I just got a call from the vet. My dog is deteriorating, I have to put her down today. I had thought of bringing her home for one more night with us - but it will prolong her suffering and may be selfish on my part.
Being in rescue, I have never had a problem euthanizing an animal until now. She is my very best friend, and this is one of the worst days of my life. On the other hand, I consider myself so fortunate to be able to end her suffering, knowing we have no other option. She has been the center of my world, and shaped who I am. Her contribution to my life is beyond measure. I would like to think we will meet again.
Thank you for allowing me to share this time with you.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,676,646 times
Oh, very sorry Claudhopper. I can see that you did everything you could possibly do. Sad....

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,928,739 times
Quote:
I just got a call from the vet. My dog is deteriorating, I have to put her down today. I had thought of bringing her home for one more night with us - but it will prolong her suffering and may be selfish on my part.
Being in rescue, I have never had a problem euthanizing an animal until now. She is my very best friend, and this is one of the worst days of my life. On the other hand, I consider myself so fortunate to be able to end her suffering, knowing we have no other option. She has been the center of my world, and shaped who I am. Her contribution to my life is beyond measure. I would like to think we will meet again.
I am so very sorry. ((hugs))

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,627,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have 3 older dogs, an 18 year old shih tzu, an 11 year old and 9 year old mutt. I made an appointment to euthanize my shih tzu this coming Friday. When I got her she was already 12 but very lively, despite having congestive heart failure. The last year or so, the hearing went, vision's almost gone, and it's gotten harder for her to get around or even interact with anyone. She still eats, still tries to take short walks outside but I think she also has some dementia so, it's time. My two other dogs have aged in the last 6 months--they are both larger dogs so, their timeline will be shorter. In the past I've never understood older people who were dog people all their lives but who, after putting their last dog down, refused to ever get another. I have always had dogs but am now beginning to understand. Losing an old dog reminds us not only of loss, but of our own mortality. I don't know if I want to experience this loss again in another 10 -14 years when I will be much older. I love having dogs and usually prefer their company to people's but, it is so difficult to watch them get old, to withdrawl from you and lose their zest for life. I wonder if its worth it to continue to go through it. Currently I have a house guest with a young dog (3 years old). When you have older dogs, you forget just how enthusiastic and happy young dogs are. Just wonder if in the future I would be better off volunteering with animals somewhere, rather than going through this loss again. Wondered if others out there elect to go dogless after losing a few to age and illness.

Yes loosing adog is very very difficult and it rips your heart out but what you have to do is ask yourself was all the joy, happiness and love you and the dog shared worth it? To me the answer is a BIG YES!! I have said many times on these boards that while I am sad dogs do not have a longer life I also look at the fact that if they did I would not have owned and known so many fantastic dogs and that would be an even bigger loss as each has been special in their own way.They shepherd us through certain periods of our lives then leave us to our next " shepherd".

Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,627,037 times
Quote:

sorry for your loss, Maybe you will meet again as the animal communicator that talked to Dash before I put him down claims he has lived with me two previous times and that he does plan to come back again and added that I was not to worry as he knows where I live! His nickname in the car was the navigator! I figure I must be one heck of a good cook for him to keep returning to me as his # 1 love was food.

She told me that is why it is important to pay attention when you meet a dog and get that This is my dog..I have to have this dog feeling!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,398,595 times
From June 2006 until April 2011 I have had to bid farewell to 8 dogs and one horse.

Two of the dogs had been with me from puppyhood, 5 were adopted as seniors and were here from as little at one year up to almost 5 years. One foster dog with extreme dog aggression had to be put down and the foster horse was about 30 years old when she passed.

I currently have just two dogs, Calypso is 7 and came to me as a puppy, Frannie has been with me since last July and she is probably 7 or 8 years old but has canine laryngeal paralysis and I could loss her very suddenly.

I will probably get back into fostering in a few months and of course most of those dogs will be fairly young. Now in my early 60's, I don't want to take on more than I can handle so just the two I currently have is enough. In time there might be another senior or two if my health remains good enough, seeing as there is no lack of big old black lab type dogs in need of a home to live out their remaining years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs