Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardtimber View Post
If you don't have the self-discipline to help yourself, or think you look "fine" 30 lbs over-weight, then I'm showing you the door. It really is simple to diet and throw in a little bit of exercise, yet people make it seem like some death-defying act to get in shape. It says alot about your drive/will-power to neglect something so basic as your appearance. Being in shape is tantamount to your grooming/hygiene habits. It's all the same.

Cut out the sweets, watch your calorie intake, eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of a big meal. Fasting also works.
So I take it that you look like the very picture of perfection then?

Plus you created your ID and profile today. Quelle surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
This is the problem with this leftist culture, you have to use politically correct euphemisms around every corner, and be careful not to hurt anyone's feelings ever. It's really a child-like state we live in.

If my SO was starting to gain weight and I found it unattractive, I won't beat around the bush, and I'd expect her to take it like an adult. If not, then clearly we aren't compatible to begin with.
And what does politics have to do with you wanting to be a rude and insulting person to others, something I'm sure would set your hair ablaze if it were done to you? You seem to live by a double standard. That sounds right wing to me.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Talking about eating well is very different than body shaming. And leads to different future outcomes.

If your parents said "it is good to eat your veggies so you will stay healthy and live a long life," that is not problematic.

If your parents say "you are looking chunky/you won't be pretty like your mom/your arms look fat/ so you need to eat veggies.

Well those 2 sentences have entirely different meanings (and feelings).
I agree. I know sooooo many people that were made to feel horrible about themselves because of their weight growing up. It really did a number on them.

And then you have people like me - people with awesome parents who still developed an eating disorder. Sorry mom and dad.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
If you want to be overweight, then don't expect people to respect your decision just because it's a decision you made. It shows a lack of self-discipline, plain and simple.
Actually, for starters, how someone else looks is none of your business. Or perhaps you're the common man's papparazzo and have a common man's gossip blog.

Second, it does make you look immature, infantile, and not at all grown up that you're excessively concerned with the looks of others.

Third, if you developed for yourself a fascinating life, sticking your nose into the lives of others and how they live, how they eat and what they do and what they don't, would seem relatively boring.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Actually, for starters, how someone else looks is none of your business. Or perhaps you're the common man's papparazzo and have a common man's gossip blog.

Second, it does make you look immature, infantile, and not at all grown up that you're excessively concerned with the looks of others.

Third, if you developed for yourself a fascinating life, sticking your nose into the lives of others and how they live, how they eat and what they do and what they don't, would seem relatively boring.

Don't let it get to you. I'm sure any woman that is with him would expect whatever he has to offer. One of the shallowest a-holes I ever met ended up with a girl I knew from my past. She used to be very overweight and not that attractive. I also wasn't crazy about her personality. She lost a ton of weight and had some plastic surgery and looks attractive now. I don't know if he knows all this about her but they are getting married. Hey - if they are happy - that's all that matters. Personally, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Just hope she doesn't gain all the weight back!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Reading comprehension there, kiddo. I said I won't respect you or your decision to be over-weight, cause it is your decision and in your power to change. Other than that, have fun.

However, if I have an SO letting herself go? No, that isn't going to fly.
So go your separate ways. Guaranteed that there's a guy out there who will love her up and down just fine and enjoy every inch of her. On the other hand, you might not like that so much.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Don't let it get to you. I'm sure any woman that is with him would expect whatever he has to offer. One of the shallowest a-holes I ever met ended up with a girl I knew from my past. She used to be very overweight and not that attractive. I also wasn't crazy about her personality. She lost a ton of weight and had some plastic surgery and looks attractive now. I don't know if he knows all this about her but they are getting married. Hey - if they are happy - that's all that matters. Personally, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Just hope she doesn't gain all the weight back!
That is the truth!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I grew up in a home where we regularly discussed exercise and eating well so that we didn't get fat. Instead, I've maintained a healthy body weight for my entire life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I agree. I know sooooo many people that were made to feel horrible about themselves because of their weight growing up. It really did a number on them.

And then you have people like me - people with awesome parents who still developed an eating disorder. Sorry mom and dad.
My parents were mostly supportive. Once in a blue moon my dad made a well-meaning comment or two.

But they weren't great at the example setting part. Sure it was important to eat my veggies. But we always had treats in the house too. It was normal to have dessert after dinner at my house. After school snacks were fruit and veggie sticks but post dinner was cookies! My dad is (was) a junk food junky! We always had soda around too. It was also normal to "play outside" "go on a bike ride" and yes, we played video games, but my sister liked the track and field game on our nintendo's powerpad.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
If you want to be overweight, then don't expect people to respect your decision just because it's a decision you made. It shows a lack of self-discipline, plain and simple.
incredibly ignorant comment.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
I have recieved some reps to my comments in this thread, I want to reply to all in one hit....

Some have said make it fun and people will do it. My take, most workouts or exercises most people aren't going to describe as fun.

People need to look at the big picture, what IS FUN, are the spinoffs of your exercise. Improved physical and mental well being, increased life expectancy, more desirable to the gender of your choice, improved confidence.

Its a little like a guy that works a stressful job with great pay. The work is mostly not fun, but spending the money sure is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss