Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Don't you love how some men think a woman's body is theirs to control?
Yeah, the mentality some men never fails to amaze me. I was always offended when I did online and all these men would ask if I was fat or be derogatory towards overweight women. I'm not overweight but was offended by them and the irony was most were obese themselves. My ex and another ex boyfriend really tried to hurt me by insulting my body. I was nowhere near obesity yet their comments calling me fat really hurt. These types of men are the types I would avoid because they will look for something to insult me about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Before this thread is locked down, the anti-weight loss group should post their height and weight. Also if they have high blood pressure, cholesterol, or blood sugar.

Simply amazing how people will make up any excuse not to lose weight. Yes, massive extra weight is always great to carry on our bodies. We all stay young and our metabolisms will always fight off the effects of obesity.
I'm not anti weight loss but this whole thread is tacky. I am 5'6 1/2-5'7 and around 125 pounds. I was previously about 150 and lost weight because I am athletic and had been sick. 150 pounds is still not overweight for my weight. I do not have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or anything wrong with my blood sugar. I also have a higher percentage of muscle than the the average woman because I was a competitive runner. In my 20's I modeled, including for a lot of fitness ads. Want me to keep going?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think something being overlooked here is that a person needs to eat, exercise, etc in a SUSTAINABLE way.

If not, you'll gain back every pound you ever lose, no matter how healthy or unhealthy your plan was to lose weight.

So, if never eating cake again is out of the question? Don't build an eating regimen that consists of NO CAKE. Or milk or whatever you know you will want to eat.

You do have to realize that many of your favorite foods may be causing you to overeat (due to their glycemic index or even due to your mental state) and plan accordingly. A lot of eating well for your metabolism means being honest about the food(s) that cause you problems, and making them rare treats.
All I know is that without some ice cream every day, I never feel full. Doesn't matter how much fiber I eat. Doesn't matter how much protein from beans, seeds, nuts, or fish I eat. (I don't eat meat.) Vegetables, whole grains, none of that matters. In fact, since I started having ice cream every day, I've lost five pounds. I'm guessing it's the fat content that's telling my brain, "Ahhhhh...Full." So Ben, Jerry, thank you for requiring me to take a trip to Macy's for new jeans in a smaller size.

And if any man tried to tell me not to indulge, that man would be booted to the curb--with one of my cardio-kickboxing moves.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,338 times
Quote:
All I know is that without some ice cream every day, I never feel full. Doesn't matter how much fiber I eat. Doesn't matter how much protein from beans, seeds, nuts, or fish I eat. (I don't eat meat.) Vegetables, whole grains, none of that matters. In fact, since I started having ice cream every day, I've lost five pounds. I'm guessing it's the fat content that's telling my brain, "Ahhhhh...Full." So Ben, Jerry, thank you for requiring me to take a trip to Macy's for new jeans in a smaller size.

And if any man tried to tell me not to indulge, that man would be booted to the curb--with one of my cardio-kickboxing moves.
The times I've had a sugary treat I went for the Cold Stone ice cream over the fruit smoothie from Jamba Juice due to the fat content in the ice cream. At least with the ice cream, with near the same sugar content as the fruit smoothie, I stay satiated longer.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,674,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
Learn a little more about women, and stay away from this subject. I'm wondering why this is a concern of yours. Is this someone you care about with weight issues. Alot of weight problems are metabolic, most people don't even realize that.

I like the post on here about the man being married for 31 years, and has stayed away from this subject.

Use your common sense

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Be a good example. Prepare healthy meals. Don't buy junk food. Exercise together.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Quote:

So, ice cream is not a problem for you.

It's not for me, either. I dunno why. I don't eat it every day, but I never feel like I need a huge serving of it anyway.

Some people may struggle with potato chips. Others with candy. Others may eat too much bacon. Who knows?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,432,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
What if she said that your hair is too thin and you need a transplant or use rogaine? What if she said you need to take Testosterone because your sex drive is not enough? What if she said you need to wear lifts in your shoes because you are too short?

I can think of a million rude comments that point out a significant others flaws.

Being blunt and rude is hurtful and rarely helps solve the issue.
You are trying to compare apples to oranges and it doesn't work. Losing weight/getting healthy can be accomplished by doing POSITIVE and HEALTHY things like eating right, exercising, etc.

Anyone can lose weight. No one can get taller. Apples and oranges Meyer, apples and oranges.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
Doubtful anything you or anybody can say will convince her to jump on the weight loss bandwagon, no matter how sincere or caring you deliver it.

I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,579,526 times
Probably with a well thought out escape route in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss