Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Btw many years ago I dated a man who kept trying to get me to lose weight. It was offensive, considering I wasn't fat at all (I weighed 115 pounds).
Don't you love how some men think a woman's body is theirs to control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Where am I backpedaling? I said that many posts ago, even before you began responding to me. Again, reading isn't fundamental for many folks on here.

And it seems like I struck a nerve because you're the only one tying self worth to exercising and eating healthy. Perhaps you should work on whatever issues you have with that.

And no, it's not all over every post I've made on here. In fact, if I hadn't mentioned it, you wouldn't have even known.

I guess I could easily say I can tell you're an overweight woman in denial...
Ah, yes, the personal attack ... Regardless of how wrong it is, it's never a surprise.

You said, NO AMOUNT OF LOVE CAN OVERCOME A 60-lb WEIGHT GAIN. Do you not see how messed up that is??

Again, the fact that you don't get the point of the emphysema example proves that you tie weight to self_worth but disguise it as concern for health. All your arguments now are basically, "I know you are, but what am I?"

I could tell you had EDNOS. It IS all over every post you've made here.

And you work out? Congrats.

But guess what? It STILL doesn't make you any better than or more worthy of love than a fat girl who eats ice cream for dinner.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:43 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There appears to be a contradiction between your statement that no amt. of love can overcome a 60-lb. weight gain, and your statement that such a weight gain isn't divorce-worthy.

Get it?
I was speaking in terms of appearance. Love isn't going to make you find your partner attractive when they've gained that much weight, if it's something you've never been attracted to

I never once mentioned it will make a person fall out of love or no longer love that individual

Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
I think something being overlooked here is that a person needs to eat, exercise, etc in a SUSTAINABLE way.

If not, you'll gain back every pound you ever lose, no matter how healthy or unhealthy your plan was to lose weight.

So, if never eating cake again is out of the question? Don't build an eating regimen that consists of NO CAKE. Or milk or whatever you know you will want to eat.

You do have to realize that many of your favorite foods may be causing you to overeat (due to their glycemic index or even due to your mental state) and plan accordingly. A lot of eating well for your metabolism means being honest about the food(s) that cause you problems, and making them rare treats.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:52 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,033 times
So moral of the story is OP, you shouldn't say anything because apparently weight loss is an incredibly complicated process that takes years of overthinking, and you are suppose to make yourself feel attraction for them regardless of their weight.

Therefore if your spouse wants to maintain a food addiction, let them do so. Apparently Americans have different DNA makeup than Europeans and Asians that somehow prevents them from utilizing all of the free online resources or even their doctors.

And those of you who aren't attracted to obese men and women are shallow individuals.

It's just completely wrong and selfish to expect your wife/husband and the mother/father of your children to take care of themselves or to seek help when necessary. Whether it's for their mental or health issues. Even if it's the result of poor eating, it's bad to encourage healthy eating and exercising.

Interesting.

Again, 2/3 of Americans are overweight so perhaps men and women should get with the changing times?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
So moral of the story is OP, you shouldn't say anything because apparently weight loss is an incredibly complicated process that takes years of overthinking, and you are suppose to make yourself feel attraction for them regardless of their weight.

Therefore if your spouse wants to maintain a food addiction, let them do so. Apparently Americans have different DNA makeup than Europeans and Asians that somehow prevents them from utilizing all of the free online resources or even their doctors.

And those of you who aren't attracted to obese men and women are shallow individuals.

It's just completely wrong and selfish to expect your wife/husband and the mother/father of your children to take care of themselves or to seek help when necessary. Whether it's for their mental or health issues. Even if it's the result of poor eating, it's bad to encourage healthy eating and exercising.

Interesting.

Again, 2/3 of Americans are overweight so perhaps men and women should get with the changing times?

That's all I want to say and then quickly run out of the firing zone again ...

Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
I've never met a person that was overweight that didn't already know they were overweight.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
If you tell a woman she needs to lose weight, hope you are prepared to kiss any chance at a career modeling mens underwear goodbye.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 PM

378 posts, read 1,207,234 times
Didn't read this thread but about the only thing you can do is offer to work out with the person. Put the emphasis on health and having fun, and not on weight loss.

My BF always asks me to go running and/or work out with him, and even though I may not feel like it I am motivated to go, because I love spending time with him. And once I am there, I am really glad that I made the effort. Maybe you could consider the two of y'all getting involved in some activity together that would be both fun and provide exercise... like tennis or some similar sport. Get involved with her, don't just tell her what she needs to do.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:08 PM

600 posts, read 825,079 times
There's no good way, you just do it. I really am picky about this upfront when I meet someone though. I always eat clean and exercise everyday. When meeting a women, I just get a feel for how her eating/exercise habits are. If they are not good or non-existant that usually will be a dealbreaker for me and we probably won't date. It's not really my place to change anyone and I don't have any desire to do so.

Everyone has certain expectations and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not into heavier girls at all and that's always a dealbreaker for me. Some women won't date a guy under 6' tall. It goes both ways. It's not unrealistic for men not to physically desire fat women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss