Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I suspect Paleo will play itself out at some point since avoiding certain food groups NEVER works in the long run. But hey, like I said, if it is working for you then keep it up.
^that comment is on the money. Nail. Head. Hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
As a current weight lifter who is around lots of bodybuilders, most of whom I get advice from, I have never met a body builder who only ate 2 meals a day. Your "plethora" claim is garbage in an attempt to win an argument. Don't be that guy.
So anecdotal evidence is ok if it's come from your experience, but it's garbage if someone else has it? Your own plethora claim is equal garbage, so don't be that guy. Again, you're around bodybuilders, guys who have to eat the same amount of calories in one day that many people do in one entire week. Most people don't want to get that large, they want to look good.

Quote:
Over eating at one sitting in hopes of lasting 10 hours stretches the stomach and makes one sluggish. The hungrier you are, the more you'll eat and the greater potential to over eat. Eat before you're starving. Hard to do that if you only eat twice a day.
Makes one sluggish? Defined as how? I haven't eaten since 7PM last night and just had a hell of a workout at 1230pm today. Good thing I felt sluggish while doing it.

But now you're contradicting yourself. Bodybuilders don't eat twice a day because they need a lot of calories, but now we're overeating because we only eat twice a day...?

And eating twice a day has been shown to lead to better satiety and eat fewer calories than eating multiple times a day. Since you only have a smaller window to eat your day's worth of calories, it's harder to fit them all in so you have to each larger meals.

Basically, it depends on if you want to eat twice a day or 6 times a day, as was pointed out several times...

Quote:
When it comes to weight loss and weight gain, it's Calories in vs Calories out. End of freaking story. Josef Rakich on bb is absolutely ripped and eats Mcdonalds every day. He knows his macros and stays under his Caloric maintenance point. And he doesn't do that by eating twice a day. I was skeptical but I did lose 60lbs enjoying junk food on a regular basis. If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. 2 meals a day you risk having to fight off hunger in the middle of the day or late at night. That will derail a weight loss plan quicker. So whether you believe your body goes into starvation mode or not, those reasons are sufficient enough to warrant eating at least 3 times a day.
One more time, those are great reasons for you to not eat twice a day. Quite obviously, many people eat twice a day without resorting to robbing a supermarket because they're so hungry they didn't know what they were doing. Josef Rakich could look exactly the same eating twice a day or six times a day. Obviously, six times a day works for him so there's no reason for him to change. But just because it works for him, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. Obviously, Martin Berkhan and Andy Morgan look just as good as he does while eating twice.

And starvation mode has been proven to be completely false as commonly understood. Takes something like 3 days for that to happen

So....what was your point again? That twice a day is not enough to get big because you don't get enough calories and burn too much protein? But it's also not enough because you overeat and take in too many calories? Which one is it?

As was stated, find what works for you. Neither one is better than the other. Your anecdotal evidence does not give you more weight over someone else's anecdotal evidence.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
The FACT of the matter is that no one eating plan fits all. So to say one way of eating trumps all others is just nonsense.
I suspect Paleo will play itself out at some point since avoiding certain food groups NEVER works in the long run. But hey, like I said, if it is working for you then keep it up.

Heres the Paleo diet, whats in it that you dont approve of and whats not in it that you think should be.?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres the Paleo diet, whats in it that you dont approve of and whats not in it that you think should be.?
I do not want to avoid anything that is on the avoid list, except the processed crap. I LOVE good food. I love to cook and go out to dinner and I LOVE wine. The quality of my life would take a nose dive if I were to follow the Paleo Diet. I am a female, 52, wear a size 2/4, exercise by walking, hiking, running, cycling, lifting weights and among other things. I do not want, nor need the Paleo party line. But hey, if you don't mind missing out on one of the best parts of life, good food and drink who am I to criticize?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Legumes are healthy fats.
Potatoes, which are vegetables, are starch.

Cooked meats are processed. Raw meats can be dangerous and even possibly deadly to consume.

Eggs aren't even on that list, good or bad.

Grains, in moderation, are healthy.
Over-consumption of sugary foods, is not healthy.
Overconsumption of healthy fats, is not healthy.

Your list treats "starches" as a food type, in the same way it treats "fruits" as a food type. The two do not fall into the same category.

Also, from what I've read, Paleo allows ghee. Ghee is butter, which is dairy. It also has nothing to do with the actual meaning of "Paleo" because Paleo man didn't milk cows, because - here's the fun part: cows didn't exist yet. Paleo man also didn't eat cows, for the same reason. So your "lean meats" on the good side might be good information, but it has nothing to do with the way Paleo man used to eat. Paleo man ate what he could kill and what he could gather. This included grasses of all sorts (grain), fish, elk-like creatures (which is an incredibly fatty meat), reptiles, game of all sorts - which were often incredibly fatty, fruits and berries, nuts and seeds, roots (which are often very starchy), and usually - all of this uncooked.

There is little about the "Paleo" diet that has anything to do with Paleo man. It's advertised as if it is directly related to how Paleo man used to eat. But it isn't, and the fact that people will actually believe this nonsense, and forget everything they learned about human history, is pathetic. And unhealthy.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
. But hey, if you don't mind missing out on one of the best parts of life, good food and drink who am I to criticize?
What good food would i be missing by following a Paleo lifestyle?.
As for drinking alcohol i dont view that practice as one of the best parts of life..

Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
What good food would i be missing by following a Paleo lifestyle?.
As for drinking alcohol i dont view that practice as one of the best parts of life..
Dairy.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Dairy.
Baked macaroni and cheese.
Pizza.
Lasagna.
Garlic bread.
Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath-Bar Crunch ice cream.
Bacon-cheeseburgers with french fries.
Chili-cheese-dogs.

All of that is forbidden on the Paleo diet. Tell you what - if I was lactose intolerant, I'd take a lactaid and still eat that stuff. If I had celiac, I'd have gluten-free pizza, and I'd skip the bun for the burger, and I'd make sure it was an all-beef dog with no fillers.

If I'm trying to lose weight, I won't be eating this stuff on a regular basis but damn if someone's going to tell me I can't have it at all.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:17 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Pizza.
Lasagna.
Garlic bread.
Chili-cheese-dogs.

All of that is forbidden on the Paleo diet. Tell you what - if I was lactose intolerant, I'd take a lactaid and still eat that stuff. If I had celiac, I'd have gluten-free pizza, and I'd skip the bun for the burger, and I'd make sure it was an all-beef dog with no fillers.

If I'm trying to lose weight, I won't be eating this stuff on a regular basis but damn if someone's going to tell me I can't have it at all.
No one's telling you that. Settle down and eat your junk food.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Pizza.
Lasagna.
Garlic bread.
Chili-cheese-dogs.

Thats the kind of food i used to eat,end result after 50 years,= 80lbs over weight, diabetic,high cholesterol and blood pressure issues etc .I'm glad you havent been afflicted but you can see the need for change in my lifestyle to rectify the health problems i've incurred , those foods you list are no longer what i desire in life and i view such stuff with disdain as its what got me to the poor health i have to live with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss