Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

I think the Paleo diet is probably the healthiest way of eating. It basically focuses on just eating real food, organic and grass-fed when possible. It's the chemicals and Frankenfood that are killing us and making us fat. You don't have to go full-on Paleo, just start eating real food. Start shopping at your local farmers market.

As far as things like dairy goes, many Paleo proponents say raw dairy is OK. The problems come in with the way foods are processed in this country. The milk and butter on supermarket shelves now is not the same as the milk and butter our grandparents ate. Same goes with wheat.

This is largely why countries like Japan have very low cancer rates and high life expectancy. They generally eat very few processed foods. Meanwhile we are eating more, and life expectancy is going down and cancer rates are going up. Did you know that many (if not most) obese people are actually malnourished? That's because this "food" has absolutely no nutritional value - just sugar and fillers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think the Paleo diet is probably the healthiest way of eating. It basically focuses on just eating real food, organic and grass-fed when possible. It's the chemicals and Frankenfood that are killing us and making us fat. You don't have to go full-on Paleo, just start eating real food. Start shopping at your local farmers market.

As far as things like dairy goes, many Paleo proponents say raw dairy is OK. The problems come in with the way foods are processed in this country. The milk and butter on supermarket shelves now is not the same as the milk and butter our grandparents ate. Same goes with wheat.

This is largely why countries like Japan have very low cancer rates and high life expectancy. They generally eat very few processed foods. Meanwhile we are eating more, and life expectancy is going down and cancer rates are going up. Did you know that many (if not most) obese people are actually malnourished? That's because this "food" has absolutely no nutritional value - just sugar and fillers.
I totally agree with fresh whole foods.
Pasteurization is necessary for milk and it is not harmful. Japanese are healthy because most of their diet is plant based. They eat very little meat compared to rice and vegetables. Paleo has some weird theories about whole grains and legumes, some of the healthiest foods one can eat.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

I stick with a generally modified paleo diet approach, but my options are bit more limited as I completely avoid wheat, and have negative reactions to soy and eggs.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I went to an nutrition based MD (very hard to find!) who uses the paleo diet and I stayed on it for a while. The only thing about it that didn't work out was the amount of fat you're supposed to eat. I just couldn't handle it. It was healthy fat but you must need a strong digestive system to handle all that.

When I wasn't feeling sick from consuming so much fat, I felt good. I didn't gain weight on it either. I slacked off about a year ago but my take away from it is that I do feel better when I eat meat and eggs. Some people need the protein. Also, I felt better being off grains. I'm using garbanzo bean flour or other non grain flour. They even had us grinding up nuts to make flour.

It got too expensive for me. Nuts are very expensive and trying to go organic was unaffordable.
But they certainly had some delicious and interesting recipes. Cookies made from coconut and pancakes made from sweet potato. You spend a whole lot of time cooking. I rarely used processed food before and I still don't use it now so that wasn't a big change. It was just that I seemed to always be grinding or chopping something or other and it took forever. This thread has reminded me to get out the recipes they gave me and the charts of how much of each type of food to eat per day and get going again because mostly it's just a common sense, no nonsense plain old fashioned down to earth way of eating--and it can be healing.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Excellent and so simple. I would add org eggs. They make life more interesting for
the palate, which is imp.

I did see a Texas rancher on a TV show that dared to let his cattle simply graze on grass...no more
grains for them. Well, this guy was a big meat eater and he lost so many pounds himself.
I won't eat anything that is not grass fed ...without all the other stuff.
It took me awhile to get over the extra couple of dollars...BUT,
I found all natural meats are marked down on a reg basis! Yay!

It becomes so easy to not want carbs after awhile...now I feel the heaviness of them...ick,
very uncomfortable...I even had a carb free Thanksgiving bec
so many were diabetic or had gluten issues.
It was the best Thkg ever...no bloat!

What was on your menu for your carb free Thanksgiving?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
I started my own "paleo hybrid' diet a couple months ago

Dropped 30lbs in the past 9-10 weeks or so.

Meats: mostly Costco rotisserie chicken ( I eat 1 entire chicken per week - multiple ways ) salmon and halibut - hard salami and the occasional beef / steak tacos from the local Mexican truck ( pretty healthy for the occasional cheater meal once every couple weeks ) - bacon at least a few times a week

Veggies- eating a lot of raw spinach celery cauliflower and broccoli

eggs - usually 2 per day - mostly hard boiled - sometimes scrambled

snacks: 1/2 apple wedges with peanut butter on occasion - unsalted nuts pecan and almonds - very low carb rice wafer crackers with medium cheddar cheese and hard salami

Only water all day and a couple cups of coffee in the morning

Had pizza once a few weeks ago on a cheat meal and wasn't affected by it in a bad way as I ate 1/2 my normal amount and moved on the next day back to my normal diet routine.

I have about 30-40 more lbs to go to hit my target of 205-215. I am sure I get there ... probably by late summer / fall. maybe sooner if I really ramp up an exercise routine ( which currently is very little exercise - just all food cutbacks )

Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Why does grass fed beef and organic meat taste so good? sweet and creamy.. tastes so good. i'll never buy regular meat again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss