Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,076,499 times

Advertisements

I recently found out about a new diet that really blows my mind over what my 30 years of vegetarianism. I am thinking of getting the book and recipe book, but I don't think I could switch into eating meat and all it involves. The book really talks about "how being vegetarian or even vegan" is bad for you. Have you all ever heard about "Paleo Diet"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,916,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I recently found out about a new diet that really blows my mind over what my 30 years of vegetarianism. I am thinking of getting the book and recipe book, but I don't think I could switch into eating meat and all it involves. The book really talks about "how being vegetarian or even vegan" is bad for you. Have you all ever heard about "Paleo Diet"?
Yes, and it's not new. It's been around for years in various forms. It was quite the fad here in the health-wellness forum for a couple of months, and then it died the same death as all fad diets die, until you resurrected it just now.

Stay tuned for another month of argument on whose internet resource is better than whose, and which version of paleo is superior to which other version, and semantics arguments about how if you're eating dairy, you aren't eating paleo (yes you are! No you're not! My sources say yes! Well your sources are unreliable! Oh yeah? Well my sources are better looking than your sources! Nuh uh, your sources are ugly, mine are clearly the best looking...etc. etc. etc.)

Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,076,499 times
Quote:
Yes, and it's not new. It's been around for years in various forms. It was quite the fad here in the health-wellness forum for a couple of months, and then it died the same death as all fad diets die, until you resurrected it just now.
It is new to me and no info of such is around where I am from. I was shocked a bit by a man who told me from a health food store and then found a Barnes & Noble and checked the books out and reading a chapter like really blew my mind about vegetarianism. I do know folks with health issues who are vegan, and then recently I've had health issues. I'd like to think that it is inherited than blame it on diet since I am not vegan.

Quote:
Stay tuned for another month of argument on whose internet resource is better than whose, and which version of paleo is superior to which other version, and semantics arguments about how if you're eating dairy, you aren't eating paleo (yes you are! No you're not! My sources say yes! Well your sources are unreliable! Oh yeah? Well my sources are better looking than your sources! Nuh uh, your sources are ugly, mine are clearly the best looking...etc. etc. etc.)
I didn't know that it once was a hot topic, so I'd like to hear the good and bad of this diet.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,557,325 times
I think it's possible that vegans and vegetarians might eat way too many carbs, especially refined carbs, and that might cause some health issues. It's not the absence of animal products, but the presence of so many simple carbs. This is certainly the case for one vegan I know, gaining weight all the way.
Nutrition people disagree about the proper intake of carbs, whole grains or not. I think Paleo people say that people should only eat stuff that caveman ancestors ate, and grain wasn't being grown and eaten then. (To be fair, the forms of many foods were very different thousands of years ago, for instance, meat animals weren't eating grain/corn, they weren't getting antibiotics, etc. Even the original grains were a very different composition than today's engineered grains, and of course pesticides, which are unavoidable even if not directly applied).
It's possible that people who don't eat animal products, or people who favor "low-fat" aren't eating enough fat, and are therefore not absorbing a lot of vitamins that are fat-soluable, and are not easily satiated, so keep eating carbs (not more and more spinach, say.)
Those against "more fat" might think that animal products, especially to the Paleo degree, is too much dietary fat/cholesterol intake. Debatable, all of it.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
It is new to me and no info of such is around where I am from. I was shocked a bit by a man who told me from a health food store and then found a Barnes & Noble and checked the books out and reading a chapter like really blew my mind about vegetarianism. I do know folks with health issues who are vegan, and then recently I've had health issues. I'd like to think that it is inherited than blame it on diet since I am not vegan.

I didn't know that it once was a hot topic, so I'd like to hear the good and bad of this diet.
You can find anything you want to search for, with the search engine. Here, I did it for you: A "search" of "paleo" filtered to include only the diet and weight loss forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=35863474

See, yours is the most recent thread. I only went back 6 months, since there are SO MANY THREADS with discussions about paleo, it'd take you days to read just those threads alone.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,883,828 times
Veggienut, I think maybe that a better book for you to read would be Nourishing Traditions by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. It's based on the principles of Weston Price who traveled the world in the 1930's looking for the most back of beyond cultures that he could find and he was specifically looking for those who hadn't been exposed to "foods of commerce." He found these in various states of health and took copious notes and wrote a book which can be accessed thru the internet but I don't have a link right now. You can also go to westonaprice.org for more info. Based on his research, he didn't think that vegetarian diets are the best way to go and for various reasons and while I think they may be good for some people, it does sound as if it's not the best one for you--if you're having to fight your blood sugar that much then something is not right. I wish you luck on your journey and good on you for being openminded and searching for answers.

Oh, and I didn't want to say it to you before, but I have an aunt-in-law with a cholesterol reading of over 500 w/o statins and she's a vegan. I have no idea what it would be if she were not vegan though, but no one else in the family has this.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Weston Price was an early 1900's *dentist* whose theories were debunked and tossed out by the medical community at the time (remember, Big Pharma didn't exist back then so you can't blame that.). Having lost favor in the dentistry world, he switched to nutrition, and came up with the idea that the reason people living in third-world conditions looked healthy was because they ate like primitives. He didn't actually -test- this theory, nor did he consider any -other- reason why they might look healthy. He didn't consider that they appeared healthy, because they had simple lives, uncomplicated by the traps of civilization.

He discounted ALL other possible reasons why this particular group of people he observed might be healthy. He discounted it, by not even -trying- to study it to rule it out. In other words, he refused to look at the forest through the trees. It's not that he couldn't see it, he chose not to even look.

People who follow the Weston Price model of diet, are following a -known- flawed, untested, untried theory that was not merely not proven, but was -disproven- almost a century ago.

It is nothing more or less than another fad diet.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,870,005 times
How about eating a variety of whole, fresh foods. Keep the calories under control. Drink lots of water and exercise. Voila!

No need to study the latest eating trend, it will be gone within the blink of an eye.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM

326 posts, read 706,863 times
Vegetarian diets are very difficult to master - vegetarians are at risk for deficiencies in Vit B-12, Iron, Cit D, Protein, Creatine, Carnatine and essential fats while being at risk for consumption of too many simple carbohydrates just to name some risks. I feel the vegetarian diet is one of the best for promoting longevity and health span as it has the potential to have less inflammation and free radicals than other diets -- however - to successfully use the vegetarian diet it requires a lot of education about food it isn't simply a "don't eat meat" diet. I think for your average person to start with what LuckyD describes is the best -- whole grains, use farmer's markets for produce and eat organically raised animals in more or less the Mediterranean diet. On this type of diet I recommend the "South Beach diet" - its more a diet philosophy than a diet - they have a bad title on that book.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,883,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Weston Price was an early 1900's *dentist* whose theories were debunked and tossed out by the medical community at the time (remember, Big Pharma didn't exist back then so you can't blame that.). Having lost favor in the dentistry world, he switched to nutrition, and came up with the idea that the reason people living in third-world conditions looked healthy was because they ate like primitives. He didn't actually -test- this theory, nor did he consider any -other- reason why they might look healthy. He didn't consider that they appeared healthy, because they had simple lives, uncomplicated by the traps of civilization.

He discounted ALL other possible reasons why this particular group of people he observed might be healthy. He discounted it, by not even -trying- to study it to rule it out. In other words, he refused to look at the forest through the trees. It's not that he couldn't see it, he chose not to even look.

People who follow the Weston Price model of diet, are following a -known- flawed, untested, untried theory that was not merely not proven, but was -disproven- almost a century ago.

It is nothing more or less than another fad diet.
Quoted practically verbatim from Stephen Barrett of quackwatch fame who is singlehandedly trying to save modern medicine from that nasty dentist who actually studied native diets while there were still natives around to eat them and from anything else that's even remotely natural, as in not produced by an industry. I'd be interested to hear how they debunked it? But I didn't come on here to argue with you--I'm talking to the OP and she can draw her own conclusions, as she strikes me as an intelligent adult who can read for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss