Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe supply some peer reviewed data that says some people's metabolism's run more efficiently on more meat.

My real criticism of these types of diets is that they are very hard to stay on very any significant period of time. In think people do much better when they have do not have to restrict any food groups. These diets may work in the short term, but when the person decides they are sick of this way of eating which could be in a month, or in a year, they are going to gain the weight back.
Or better yet, just step on over to the diabetes forum and pay careful attention to what people say about what drives up their blood sugar. I did and it's grains and beans mostly--I mean after they've gone off the junk food.

I think our OP has quit us in disgust and I don't blame her, so I'm going to tell on her a bit. She's been a vegetarian for around 30 years and is thin. She got thyroid problems and prediabetic at roughly the same time and is having a hard time getting back to normal again and her blood sugar is not behaving all that well, which is why she introduced this thread. She has described her diet somewhat in other threads and it sounds like a responsible vegetarian diet to me, somewhat like the Fuhrman diet really and like what the ADA recommends, but it's not working for a lot of people. If you're prediabetic and eating responsibly and still have BS problems, then doesn't it seem like a good idea to re-evaluate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
I am not referring to diabetes. I am referring to losing weight and keeping it off. I did not realize this thread was about diabetes.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I am not referring to diabetes. I am referring to losing weight and keeping it off. I did not realize this thread was about diabetes.
The OP has been on the diabetes forum quite a lot lately b/c her blood sugar is too high--not diabetic yet but headed that way. She weighs about 120 lbs so weight is not the issue here. (Veggienut, I hope you don't mind me doing this but I'm just telling what you've already said on the D forum.) So yes, in a sense this thread is about diabetes and I'm guessing that she figured that the folks on the weight loss forum would know more about the paleo diet.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
The OP has been on the diabetes forum quite a lot lately b/c her blood sugar is too high--not diabetic yet but headed that way. She weighs about 120 lbs so weight is not the issue here. (Veggienut, I hope you don't mind me doing this but I'm just telling what you've already said on the D forum.) So yes, in a sense this thread is about diabetes and I'm guessing that she figured that the folks on the weight loss forum would know more about the paleo diet.
If weight is not the issue, then she shouldn't have posted in the diet and weight loss forum, asking about a diet that is known and advertised as a weight-loss diet. She shouldn't have excluded that the reason she was interested in any diet at all, wasn't weight loss, but rather the fact that she's trying to get her blood sugar levels in check because she's pre-diabetic.

It's like going to the vegetarian folder asking about how to eat meat properly, and expecting the vegetarians to be compassionate and helpful.

If you come to the diet folder asking about a diet, but you don't really need to diet, then don't expect the answers to be very useful to you. You're asking for something you don't need, and neglecting to tell people what you -do- need.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Everybody is on some kind of diet, whether they want to lose weight or not.

Diet doesn't just apply to weight loss. It also simply means a type of nutrition plan or way of eating.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Everybody is on some kind of diet, whether they want to lose weight or not.

Diet doesn't just apply to weight loss. It also simply means a type of nutrition plan or way of eating.
Very true. Whatever you eat is your diet. I never understood the phrase 'going on a diet'.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Because there is "the diet I eat" and there is "going on a diet." The terms mean different things. It's all about the context.

In the context of "X and weight loss" then "diet" would refer to the "going on a diet" type of diet, that people go on, when they want to lose weight.

In the context of "Vegetarianism" in the food category of city-data, it would refer to the variety of vegetarian foods (as opposed to the entire lifestyle, which isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, which shouldn't be confused with Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, which would be in a different part of City-Data).

In the context of the diabetes folder, it would refer to foods or eating habits for people who have diabetes, or who are trying to ward off diabetes.

It's all about context. If you're wanting advice specifically regarding food choices and diabetes, you should be posting in the diabetes folder. If you're wanting advice specifically regarding losing weight, or gaining weight, or weight in general, then weight loss/diet is definitely the place to be.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If weight is not the issue, then she shouldn't have posted in the diet and weight loss forum, asking about a diet that is known and advertised as a weight-loss diet. She shouldn't have excluded that the reason she was interested in any diet at all, wasn't weight loss, but rather the fact that she's trying to get her blood sugar levels in check because she's pre-diabetic.

It's like going to the vegetarian folder asking about how to eat meat properly, and expecting the vegetarians to be compassionate and helpful.

If you come to the diet folder asking about a diet, but you don't really need to diet, then don't expect the answers to be very useful to you. You're asking for something you don't need, and neglecting to tell people what you -do- need.
I won't presume to get inside her head but I think it's a logical place and for the reason I already said--more folks are likely to be knowledgeable about paleo on this thread. Why can't we just lighten up?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
How about eating a variety of whole, fresh foods. Keep the calories under control. Drink lots of water and exercise. Voila!
Are you nuts? That's just too radical.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, and it's not new. It's been around for years in various forms. It was quite the fad here in the health-wellness forum for a couple of months, and then it died the same death as all fad diets die, until you resurrected it just now.

Stay tuned for another month of argument on whose internet resource is better than whose, and which version of paleo is superior to which other version, and semantics arguments about how if you're eating dairy, you aren't eating paleo (yes you are! No you're not! My sources say yes! Well your sources are unreliable! Oh yeah? Well my sources are better looking than your sources! Nuh uh, your sources are ugly, mine are clearly the best looking...etc. etc. etc.)
That's pretty accurate! Hahaha

The thing is....I don't think there is any one way that is perfect for everyone. I know people who've had raging success with WW and some who failed abysmally. Some people do really well with extreme low carb and others feel they're going to pass away. It's trial and error, I think, until you find what works for you. The big clincher? Sticking with what works. You will probably have to eat that way the rest of your life. I know I will. Sucks, but that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss