Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,407 times

Advertisements

The 30 year old age is a misnomer; people lived well into their older years. The very high infant/child mortality rates are what schew the data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 3,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
My Dr. told me to lose weight. Has anyone tried the Paleo Diet, it is in the new consumer reports magazine?
I've been doing Paleo for about 14 months now and like how it has helped me to reduce the fatty/oily foods from my diet. I think it's a good diet, but more than anything for me it's something to follow and without that I know it's sooo tempting to eat all those foods that aren't good for me. So whilst I like what I'm eating and enjoying following Paleo I think it's more psychology than the diet itself. I know there are many other diets out there and this one seems to fit with my lifestyle and cooking skills

It's like anything, you have to find what's right for you. A good basic introduction to Paleo - Paleo Diet Food List | Look and feel healthier with the Paleo Diet

With anything you can choose the extent to which you want to take it on. You may enjoy eating nuts so can always choose to keep this for example. Start slowly and see what works for you would be my suggestion.

Also, if you're Dr told you to lose weight it's great your thinking about what you put inside but also think about exercise as the combination can compliment each other and help you lose those pounds

Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM

145 posts, read 185,918 times
Try skipping breakfast and eating your first meal later in the day. A lot of benefits and no food restrictions required.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,453,889 times
I disagree with skipping breakfast as we wake up in starve-mode. Rather, I like to eat a breakfast that is built around a healthy protein (25%), veggies/leafy greens (50%), and 25% other carbs/healthy fats/fruit.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I disagree with skipping breakfast as we wake up in starve-mode. Rather, I like to eat a breakfast that is built around a healthy protein (25%), veggies/leafy greens (50%), and 25% other carbs/healthy fats/fruit.
Not only is breakfast important but more meals a day are better in general. It takes energy to break down and digest protein, this is why bodybuilders eat 6-8 meals a day and they almost always start with carbs (oatmeal). I'll eat around 4-5 times a day and I will portion my protein throughout the day instead of eating it all at once. The body tends to digest things better this way.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Not only is breakfast important but more meals a day are better in general. It takes energy to break down and digest protein, this is why bodybuilders eat 6-8 meals a day and they almost always start with carbs (oatmeal). I'll eat around 4-5 times a day and I will portion my protein throughout the day instead of eating it all at once. The body tends to digest things better this way.
Nope.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,077 times
Quote:
lol. The thermic effect of food is directly proportional to the amount of food you eat. So, basically, whether you eat 8 meals or 2 in a day, the thermic effect of the food you eat will be equal. Science!

And the body digests whatever you put into it, it just takes longer if the meal is bigger. We also have this thing referred to as the "amino acid pool", which in a nutshell means we can in fact make use of more than 30g's of protein at a time (don't let the supplement companies hear you say that though, they work hard to keep people thinking 30g servings are all they can ingest, which coincidentally matches up perfectly with their serving sizes of protein powder). What's more important is ideal absorption of what you are digesting. For maximum protein absorption make sure to eat fiber-filled veggies while you eat your meat, it slows digestion therefore increasing absorption. Fish oil has been found to increase protein synthesis as well, so it's a good idea to take that.

Stay away from broscience, brah.

Last edited by tofur; 04-06-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
lol. The thermic effect of food is directly proportional to the amount of food you eat. So, basically, whether you eat 8 meals or 2 in a day, the thermic effect of the food you eat will be equal. Science!

And the body digests whatever you put into it, it just takes longer if the meal is bigger. We also have this thing referred to as the "amino acid pool", which in a nutshell means we can in fact make use of more than 30g's of protein at a time (don't let the supplement companies hear you say that though, they work hard to keep people thinking 30g servings are all they can ingest, which coincidentally matches up perfectly with their serving sizes of protein powder). What's more important is ideal absorption of what you are digesting. For maximum protein absorption make sure to eat fiber-filled veggies while you eat your meat, it slows digestion therefore increasing absorption. Fish oil has been found to increase protein synthesis as well, so it's a good idea to take that.

Stay away from broscience, brah.
It's not just fish oil, but fats in general that help in protein absorption and assimilation. Your statement on 30grams is a bit crude. The liver will build proteins with the amino acids it has when the body needs it, whether that be 30grams or 50 grams or 4 grams. Also, the liver stores excess amino acids so all this talk about grabbing protein 30 seconds after a workout aren't all the accurate. Yes your body requires protein to rebuild, however, the timing of that is not as fast many people tend to believe it needs to be.

There is also conflicted evidence to what you stated above about the TEF:

"To put this in tangible terms, if you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion. The most common estimate for the total thermic effect of food is around 10 percent of your total caloric intake, but as your protein intake increases so does this number."

Bodybuilding.com - Ask The Macro Manager: What Is The Thermic Effect Of Food?

In simple terms, say you eat 50 calories of protein, your TEF will be approximately 5 calories. If your next meal is 200 calories in protein then your TEF will increase as stated above and your TEF will be between 20% and 35%.

Your other statement about maximum protein absorption and fiber-filled veggies makes absolutely zero sense. Fiber-filled veggies, with complex fibrous matrices, have a negative TEF, meaning they require more energy to digest and assimilate then they provide.

You still have more research to do.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Nope.

See my above posted comment.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,407 times
Quote:
See my above posted comment.
You missed the point. The thermic effect of food does exist, sure. However, eating all of your food in one sitting vs eating all of your food over 6-8 meals makes virtually no difference. Every major fitness publisher has stated this.

It boils down to if you like eating once a day or 6 times a day; the only consideration whether you want to eat breakfast or not is if you like eating breakfast. If you want to eat 6 times a day, go for it. If you want to eat once a day, go for it. It makes no difference either way.

The author you cited also talks about the anabolic window, something else that studies show doesn't have any real affect on the normal individual.

In essence, normal people are normal. Worrying over things like "burning an extra 300 calories" or "the anabolic window" are absolutely silly for the normal person to stress over. People need to focus on the 95%; eating well, skipping processed foods, more vegetables instead of the 5% "OMG what's the best time to take my protein shake?!?"

Nutrition timing, post workout meals, number of meals and all the other bull**** that people focus on is something you should only worry about if you're a top tier athlete looking for that last bit of performance.

Precision Nutrition has a great article covering all of this

Precision Nutrition » Is nutrient timing dead? And does “when” you eat really matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss