Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM

58 posts, read 309,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstigator View Post
I was there. Piled 8 people into a car, got drunk and camped in Boulder Canyon. Because it was there. Towards the end of the show a helicopter flew in from the south and shortly after someone announced "Ladies and gentlemen...Elton John!" Everyone jammed (yes, jammed!) for several songs. An amazing show. If I remember correctly, Elton was putting the finishing touches on Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy at Caribou Ranch. It's all so hazy...
Yep...Sir Elton John crashing the party! We camped at the Barbour Ponds along I-25 near Longmont...traffic in and out of Fort Collins was a *****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 51,765 times
I remember La Pichet (aka The Pitcher), but I remember it being on West Alameda. Also on West Alameda was The Galaxy.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM

What a great website! I remember The Fireside Inn on East Colfax. Also Friday & Saturdays, and Shapes. On West Colfax were The Keyboard Lounge, The Limon Tree, and Cloud 9 with go-go girls! How about The Rathskeller on Evans and Colorado Blvd. and The Ratskeller down on Larimer Square. In Glendale were Victoria Station and The Colorado Mining Company. I guess these were the places to go to meet people long before on-line dating came into being.
Who remembers Sherrif Scotty (aka Ed Scott) and Katy Kat? He had a local show (first on Channel 7, then on 9) where he would show westerns (i.e., Buster Crabbe and Fuzzy Jones)sponsored by Duffy's pop. Snicker Flickers and Fred and Fae Taylor on Channel 2. I remember the "laughing lady" at Lakeside and feeding popcorn to the catfish in the lake by the big ferris wheel. I remember the Zachendorf Plaza where we could ice skate in the winter and play miniature golf in the summer.
And who remembers Pogo Poge, the popular disc jockey on KIMN. One time he sat on the flag pole at Pappy Fry's car dealership as a publicity stunt and another time sat in the May D&F window with a bunch of rattle snakes.
I remember the Purity Creamery on Speer Blvd. and how clean it always smelled.
Restaurants I remember were LaFittes (on Speer??), The Golden Ox on Colfax, and the best Italian restaurant was Grandenetti's on Colfax.
I remember when Daniel's Park was "out in the boonies", a great spot for keg parties. There wasn't much south of Hampden, where the Valley Highway went from 6 lanes down to 4.
I used to take English riding lesson at Equitation Center on East Arapahoe Road and I-25 where all the dealerships are now. Then it was out in the country and the only place to eat around there was The Hungry Dutchman. Orchard wasn't accessible on or off I-25, as DTC had not yet been built up.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonealongtime View Post
I just stumbled on this forum on a google search too. Wow, does this thread bring back a flood of memories I thought were long forgotten. I live overseas and have for many years, but I rolled into SE Denver in 1975 as a fun loving 20 year old college student, and have great memories of lots of places.

Colorado Mining Company had the best steaks and a delicious stuffed potato. Yeah, that was the place for Bronco watching. Down the street was Cork n Cleaver, which was also good, and then the Discos, The Lift, and London House were close by. There was another big disco, but I forgot the name (I think a Target is there now). Yeah, I remember that Der Weiner Schnitzel and wish I could have one now. Oh, yeah, I think there was a funky Mexican restaurant near there called Jose O'Shea's.

Of course I remember Rick's Cafe, and used to hang out there a lot. There was a breakfast cafe near Washington Park, I think it was called Annie's?

There was a big hotel on Colorado Blvd. named the funkiest name, Mollie McGee's. I stayed there when I first came.

Anybody remember that cool little gas station that said "we're a bobcat for service." and had a sign pic of a bobcat? This is all around Colorado Blvd, and Speer and Alameda I think if I remember correctly.

Out west, yes, I remember the places on West Colfax mentioned, including Casa Bonita. There used to be a May D&F out there at Westland. I have no idea what's there now, and I think that department store went out of business maybe a decade ago?

There are so many places I just can't remember the names of, places downtown and along Speer? Blvd.

Yeah, went to see concerts at Ebbits Field, Red Rocks, and some other places. There was a really famous theatre downtown where they held concerts.

Are you thinking of Victoria Station as the other big disco place? There was also a place on Pennsylvania (?) called the Carriage Inn. May D&F became Foley's and now Macy's. The Denver Dry, Neusters, McDonalds, Fashion Bar, The Stage, Montaldo's, Mr. C, House of 9, Joslin's and all gone now.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
I grew up in Aurora. Remember some of these places?

The Pub in the Montview area, going down the stairs to disco the night away...at least until 12.

Their was that bar (forget the name) on Yosemite next to Lowry, lots of live music, and fights outside. Few girls though, they went to the discos. Later Lowry declared this bar off limits.

The East 70 drive-in.

Tower road, before it was developed, used to see either couples doing ... or groups getting high. Friends of mine from Littleton talk the same way about the KOSI towers on County Line Road.

The Valley Highway befoe it was I-25.

The 1965 flood, the only time I ever saw Sand Creek bank full.

Remember After the Gold Rush? I remember that they used to wash their plastic cups, yuk.

Woodsies, I remember the one that the Aurora Police broke up when the class of 1976 graduated.

The Number 3 Lift. Dance until 2.

I may be getting into the 80s with the next two...

Shotgun Willies before it became a strip club.

Rodeo, then it became carnival or something like that.

I believe that Glendale does not even have any clubs anymore.

The A&W Root Beer stand on Colfax.

Speaking of Colfax, who could not forget the food at the Blue Onion.

Colorado SUN-day concerts at Folsom Field. Courtesy of Feyline productions. Is Barry Fey still around?

Concerts at Red Rocks and trying to find your car in the pitch dark afterwards.

Steve Tensi and Floyd Little of the Broncos.

The 1977 Broncos...make those miracles happen with Red Miller...

Finally, cruising 16th street. (there was this one Denver cop that was famous for something, people said he was mean, anyone remember who I am talking about?)

I miss Denver...
You've really brought back some memories. I'd forgotten about the Blue Onion, trying to find the car in the dark after a Red Rocks concert. I think the cop you're referring to was Buster Snyder, who supposedly even gave his own mother a ticket. Floyd Little, #44, now has an insurance commercial on TV. Don't know what happened to Steve Tensi or Red Miller. I remember Bobby Anderson, Riley Odoms. Wasn't the Bronco defense then kicknamed "The Orange Crush"? Does anyone remember The Senate Lounge in the Argonaut Hotel just across from the Capitol? A folk group called The Hustler's played there for awhile after they left Tulagi's in Boulder. That area is a scary place to be now.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenjim View Post
Does anyone remember The lift and Bull and Bush around 1978? I was there all the time.

I remember the Lift in Glendale very well. The Bull and Bush was the best place for brunch on Sundays and then we'd stay and watch the Bronco game.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Originally Posted by MisterB
I grew up in Aurora. Remember some of these places?

The Pub in the Montview area, going down the stairs to disco the night away...at least until 12. I used to be a bouncer there....

Their was that bar (forget the name) on Yosemite next to Lowry, lots of live music, and fights outside. Few girls though, they went to the discos. Later Lowry declared this bar off limits. It was called the Thunderbird

The East 70 drive-in. Spent many a night there..... Too bad no one took care of it as it is a historical site - First Drive in west of the Mississippi...

Tower road, before it was developed, used to see either couples doing ... or groups getting high. Friends of mine from Littleton talk the same way about the KOSI towers on County Line Road. - Yep I do remember...

The Valley Highway befoe it was I-25. - Oh indeed....

The 1965 flood, the only time I ever saw Sand Creek bank full.

Remember After the Gold Rush? I remember that they used to wash their plastic cups, yuk. Yep The manager they had at that time thought it would be a money saving idea.. When the owne found out he literally hit the roof and threw the guy out.....
BTW the owners home in Cherry Hills kinda looked like the inside of the Rush

Woodsies, I remember the one that the Aurora Police broke up when the class of 1976 graduated. The year I graduated and was in a car wreck from one of the kids who was high beating it back to town from the cops...

The Number 3 Lift. Dance until 2. Been there a few times...

I may be getting into the 80s with the next two...

Shotgun Willies before it became a strip club. Yes I remember....

Rodeo, then it became carnival or something like that. Went thru a few different stages.....

I believe that Glendale does not even have any clubs anymore.

The A&W Root Beer stand on Colfax. Used to go there ALL the time....

Speaking of Colfax, who could not forget the food at the Blue Onion. My Grandma loved that place......

Colorado SUN-day concerts at Folsom Field. Courtesy of Feyline productions. Is Barry Fey still around? I believe we went to every one of them...... Barry Fey was really cool.....

Concerts at Red Rocks and trying to find your car in the pitch dark afterwards. I remember a friend and I took the wrong exit and ended up in the wrong lot and wandered around for a cpl hours trying to find his car and he fell and got stickers in his tongue.....And he went home and tried to use his electric razor to get them out....

Steve Tensi and Floyd Little of the Broncos. Yes and Yes....

The 1977 Broncos...make those miracles happen with Red Miller... My sister was a crazy ass Bronco fan.....

Finally, cruising 16th street. (there was this one Denver cop that was famous for something, people said he was mean, anyone remember who I am talking about?) Use to cruise all the time and Buster Snyder was the cop.. he was a grade A first class A-hole!!!!!!! Saw him giving a ticket to a cpl cars and he told this group of people to walk around the cars to cross the street.. The minute they got on the other side he stopped them and gave them all a a ticket...

I miss Denver...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 PM

58 posts, read 309,139 times
Default Barry Fey died yesterday...

Per the Denver Post -

Barry Fey, legendary Colorado concert promoter, dies at 73 - The Denver Post

One heckuva concert promoter and darn good at handicapping the ponies as well...RIP Barry and thanks for all the great shows!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Damn, he will be missed.. I had met Barry on several occasions and hung with him at a Stones concert and a cpl Alice Cooper ones.... Great guy....

Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM

346 posts, read 482,313 times
He and Chuck Morris worked wonders together at The Rainbow Music Hall. I'll always remember Southside Johnny in '79. GREAT brass section and very loud!
U2 Red Rocks '83. "Under a Blood Red Sky" put the Rocks and U2 on the world map. I'll always remember how surreal it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver