Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,493 times

Advertisements

First time so here gos. As to girls dance clubs and good times.Teen line,Four Seasons and The Zanza bar on colfax,Hal Babys club where Buffalo Springfield and the Yardbids played and the 3.2 Pub around Dayton and Montview,the Green Onion and Fridays and Saturdays now a strip club on Colfax,the Sugar Shack teen club later to be East Colfax Electric co.,the Green Spider,the Folklore Center and La Petites hippi restraunt on 17th ave.,the Golden Apple coffee house and park,the Sign of the Tarot and the Exodus club all on 20th ave.,Celebrity sports center,theCinnoman Cinder teen club on Colo.Blvd.,the pinball arcade a block north of Colfax on Broadway,the skate rink,record shop the Hipbone on 16th st.the Eighth Infinity 3.2 bar around 1st. and Broadway,the Rugged Room teen club on W. Alameda,the Posh,Bird teen clubs to become the Family Dog,opening night Janis Joplin and Blue Cheer now PTs strip club on w. Evens,theLa Pachet 3.2 bar on W. Mississippi.Best of times I can remember.Anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Does anyone remember a car dealership on South Broadway, not far from the University of Denver, that only sold muscle and classic cars....a small place but they had a bunch of cars anytime you went by there....Had a glass showroom..Looked like it was on old gas station...

I'am sure it was called Markels

Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM

58 posts, read 308,924 times
Default Addresses for some of the establishments...

I found a 1973 Denver phone directory...only the "L to Z" half of the white pages. I then spent about an hour looking up some of the places that have been brought up on this forum. I figure when a business is listed in a phone book that they provide an "official" spelling of their business name so here's the exact way they're listed in alphabetical order beginning with L...

LIFT NO. 3 4501 E. Virginia

MR. LUCKY'S 555 S. Cherry

PLAYBOY CLUB 1790 Grant

SCOTCHMAN MOTOR RESTAURANT 4960 Federal Blvd.

SKUNK KREEK INN (Yep...that's how they spelled Kreek) 2574 Baseline

STOUT STREET ELECTRIC COMPANY 1346 Stout

TULAGI'S 1129 13th Street and across the street was ROUND THE CORNER 1124 13th Street

ZANZA BAR 10601 E. Colfax

So, that's a sample of some exact locations for our fuzzy memories. If anyone wants something looked up including people just post it here and I'll get a reply posted back...remember just L to Z.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1027 View Post
I'am sure it was called Markels
In that same 1973 phone book there is no Markels or Markles having anything to do with cars. I distinctly remember the place but the name escapes me...I want to say it was Richard's Motors but they are listed as being further south on Broadway. The dealer we're talking about was north of Evans on Broadway.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshark View Post
In that same 1973 phone book there is no Markels or Markles having anything to do with cars. I distinctly remember the place but the name escapes me...I want to say it was Richard's Motors but they are listed as being further south on Broadway. The dealer we're talking about was north of Evans on Broadway.
I don't remember either, but I think it had more then a few names our the years.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
DShark is right. I can't remember the name either but I know the area well. Jim Bundy's restaurant was on the corner of Evans and Broadway in those days. Right across the street from that classic car place was one of Denver's best record stores IMO, Record Revival.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
DShark is right. I can't remember the name either but I know the area well. Jim Bundy's restaurant was on the corner of Evans and Broadway in those days. Right across the street from that classic car place was one of Denver's best record stores IMO, Record Revival.
Record Revival per '73 phone book - 2019 South Broadway

Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I wonder if someone somewhere has pictured downtown Denver's transformation through the years and wrote a book about it or something. I'd be really interesting to see that.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Record Revival per '73 phone book - 2019 South Broadway
It was a cool little store. It started up around May of 1972 with about 100 eight tracks and 1500 albums in the place. And developed into a great shop! The only drawback to the place was the building itself. How it always passed code inspections I'll never know.

And that situation was the stores undoing around the summer of '95 I believe. I had already relocated to the western slope and I got a call from one of my collecting buddies who told me that the back wall of the building literally fell down to the ground. The burglar alarm went off, Denver police got there in minutes , and called the owner to guard his building and inventory. And this was about 3:00 in the morning! The owner eventually rented storage units for the lp's, cd's, and tapes. And that was the end of his business, sadly!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It was a cool little store. It started up around May of 1972 with about 100 eight tracks and 1500 albums in the place. And developed into a great shop! The only drawback to the place was the building itself. How it always passed code inspections I'll never know.

And that situation was the stores undoing around the summer of '95 I believe. I had already relocated to the western slope and I got a call from one of my collecting buddies who told me that the back wall of the building literally fell down to the ground. The burglar alarm went off, Denver police got there in minutes , and called the owner to guard his building and inventory. And this was about 3:00 in the morning! The owner eventually rented storage units for the lp's, cd's, and tapes. And that was the end of his business, sadly!
Damn, I forgot all about that. Now I remember walking by that building after that happened. It looked a mess.

Actually the store is still in business online.

Jazz Record Revival was established in 1978 by Thomas Burns when he purchased Record Revival which was founded in 1973 and was the first new and used record store in Denver Colorado. The original store was located at 2019 South Broadway in Denver until 1989. The Broadway store was world renowned for its selection of jazz recordings from all over the world and was visited by musicians and collectors, some who traveled half way around the world just to visit the store. It has moved several times over the last 20 years, first to Tiny Town, then Evergreen and it is presently located high above the beautiful mountain town of Bailey Colorado at 9000 feet, probably the highest record store in the world.

Jazz Record Revival - About Us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver