Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 11:47 AM

13,078 posts, read 18,414,803 times

Advertisements

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 63,262 +96
KENT 17,850 + 18
SUSSEX 25,674+ 20

Hospitalized 87 +4
Critical 7+1

No lives were lost yesterday.

Having charted this for so long I am forced to ask how these numbers are even possible. Friday we hit 50% of the state vaccination rate with 38% having either 2 Pfizer or 2 Moderna or the one JnJ. We had 107K positives and 1651 deaths as of yesterday. Don't we have to run out of people at some point? And we are headed up the past 2 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 02:38 PM

829 posts, read 642,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

NCC 63,262 +96
KENT 17,850 + 18
SUSSEX 25,674+ 20

Hospitalized 87 +4
Critical 7+1

Having charted this for so long I am forced to ask how these numbers are even possible. Friday we hit 50% of the state vaccination rate with 38% having either 2 Pfizer or 2 Moderna or the one JnJ. We had 107K positives and 1651 deaths as of yesterday. Don't we have to run out of people at some point? And we are headed up the past 2 days.
I will say that I know of two former co-workers and one of their spouses who got Covid within the last 6 weeks. Of the three of them, one was hospitalized for about 6 days. All had recently become eligible to be vaccinated. 1 had only recently become eligible and had a vaccine appointment a few days after she became sick. The other 2 had been eligible for at least a few weeks and planned to get one "soon", but it apparently wasn't as great a priority as it was for so many of us who got one ASAP. Covid reminds me of the heat seeking missiles.

I don't know your observations of people, but it seemed to me as if a lot of people relaxed their guard when the vaccine started to become available - even before they were eligible or were actually vaccinated.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:32 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,916,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I will say that I know of two former co-workers and one of their spouses who got Covid within the last 6 weeks. Of the three of them, one was hospitalized for about 6 days. All had recently become eligible to be vaccinated. 1 had only recently become eligible and had a vaccine appointment a few days after she became sick. The other 2 had been eligible for at least a few weeks and planned to get one "soon", but it apparently wasn't as great a priority as it was for so many of us who got one ASAP. Covid reminds me of the heat seeking missiles.

I don't know your observations of people, but it seemed to me as if a lot of people relaxed their guard when the vaccine started to become available - even before they were eligible or were actually vaccinated.
Lindy......I agree. I have heard people comment that just wanted to "walk in" and not have to wait, even if they could be bothered to take time out of their busy schedule. We had considered moving to a large 55+ in FL and I still read a message board with residents. It's amazing how many were either not going to get one or are just so "I'll get one when I have time" about it. It was important enough to us to wait in line at the Dover DMV for 4 hours and I don't regret a second of it. What was the worst was scurrying around trying to find the second appointment!

I hope your friends get better soon! We had a close neighbor die from it. She was in the hospital about a month, on a ventilator for about 3 weeks and passed away on Christmas. Nice memory for her husband and kids, right?

Old 05-16-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Lindy......I agree. I have heard people comment that just wanted to "walk in" and not have to wait, even if they could be bothered to take time out of their busy schedule. We had considered moving to a large 55+ in FL and I still read a message board with residents. It's amazing how many were either not going to get one or are just so "I'll get one when I have time" about it. It was important enough to us to wait in line at the Dover DMV for 4 hours and I don't regret a second of it. What was the worst was scurrying around trying to find the second appointment!

I hope your friends get better soon! We had a close neighbor die from it. She was in the hospital about a month, on a ventilator for about 3 weeks and passed away on Christmas. Nice memory for her husband and kids, right?
I'm so sorry about your neighbor, rothbear! Losing a loved one is bad enough, but you are so right that the memories will be tough for the husband and kids, as the holiday will always be associated with losing her (I'd think). Our friends have pretty much recovered, thanks.

We have friends who live in FL and they couldn't be bothered to try to get a vaccine appointment. They were eligible for 2 months before I became available, but we got vaccinated about the same time, as I was all over the internet and was lucky enough that I found an appointment on the first day I was eligible. It was the best St. Patrick's Day ever. My mother was Irish and I can't help but think she had a hand in it. LOL My husband was eligible before I was and we had a bit of a scramble to get the second dose too. That was an anxious time period, wasn't it?

Old 05-17-2021, 07:24 AM

Just wondering, does anyone know anyone that is not vaccinated yet? I am not talking about college kids or younger. Talking about your own neighborhoods. Now of course, it is possible, if not probable, that some have chosen not to be vaccinated and just go with the flow so as not to be lectured and those we will not know for the most part. I think all have been here.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:18 PM

NCC 63,317+65
KENT 17,855 + 5
SUSSEX 25,696+ 22

Hospitalized 83 -4
Critical 7 n/c

Old 05-17-2021, 12:26 PM

Locally, all the neighbors and friends we know well enough that it would be discussed have been vaccinated. A former 40 year old co-worker in MD is not and doesn't plan to be vaccinated and the family (who live out west) of a close friend is anti-mask and anti-vaccine.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:42 PM

1,917 posts, read 3,955,169 times
I know quite a few who aren't getting vaccinated. None are 65+. Everyone I know 65+ is vaccinated--family, friends, neighbors, etc.

Most people in my area are vaccinated though.

I know the mask mandate is being lifted this week, but my husband and I are choosing to double mask when indoors for awhile longer.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:56 PM

30 posts, read 26,256 times
I'm not in Delaware (yet), but in our neighborhood, there are two women in their 30's living a few townhouses apart who are anti-vaccine. They recently went so far as to hold a party with others who are anti-vaccine. Celebrating their collective ignorance, I guess.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:17 PM

Science smiance all one needs to look at is the NY Yankees. 9 staff members inc coaches and a player all fully vax’d have tested positive. Most suffered no symptoms and one was mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware