Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

48 posts, read 171,967 times

Advertisements

DaveG99: Yeah, Key West is great. No place quite like it. We spent a lot of good times there and in Key Largo as well.
But now we're leaving Florida for Texas ... and I'm determined to find a cool green place to live here and not miss and moan about what we will be leaving behind. I'm amazed and pleased at how green and lush some areas are here. If I believed people who don't like the Dallas area, I'd believe that everything here is hot and dry. But that's just not the case at all. Just driving north on country roads in this area ... beautiful fields and greenery everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
But extremely humid! It can be 75 degrees, breezy and you'll have a continous layer of sweat all over your body while standing in the shade. When it gets above 80 degrees your clothing is soaking wet. Nothing like sweat dripping off your chin all the time! At least here the humidity is much lower and there's usually a breeze. The key is staying out of the sun.
But when Im in Key West Im there to get wet anyway.

And the best time of year in Dallas is March/April. Lots of blooming plants and perfect weather.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
But extremely humid! It can be 75 degrees, breezy and you'll have a continous layer of sweat all over your body while standing in the shade. When it gets above 80 degrees your clothing is soaking wet. Nothing like sweat dripping off your chin all the time! At least here the humidity is much lower and there's usually a breeze. The key is staying out of the sun.

NO KIDDING! One of the only places where it is crowded and I'm ready to strip in public. I literally went into a bathroom there and took off everything that I did not have to have on. I was left w/ 2 articles of clothing on and that was it. My shorts were even linen and were drenched. And all we were doing was walking down Duval and going in and out of the shops and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
But when Im in Key West Im there to get wet anyway.

And the best time of year in Dallas is March/April. Lots of blooming plants and perfect weather.

I'm there to get wet too

Don't go in October. I'm too scared to go then as I'm afraid any body paint might just run right off.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
HAHA. Yeah fantasy fest is fun. I usually go in August right before Labor day. Thats the slowest time of year for them and the cheapest for the traveler. Im not going this year though. Instead we are going on a skiing vacation in Utah in January.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Far from Key West! Key Wet is one of my favorite places on earth. I lived in Florida for 14 years before moving here.

Key West actually doesnt get over 90 too often. Its so nice down there.
The humidity can be a killer though! I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was in June in Key West. We spent most days in the pool, but did take some boating/snorkeling trips. Out on the water was better than in town. Been in November and December also, it actually got cold and we had to wear jackets during the December trip!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Far from Key West! Key Wet is one of my favorite places on earth. I lived in Florida for 14 years before moving here.

Key West actually doesnt get over 90 too often. Its so nice down there.
And right now, the dew point in Key West is 75 and in Dallas, 73. That's not much of a difference in being uncomfortable. It is 86 degrees and Dallas is 92.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
And right now, the dew point in Key West is 75 and in Dallas, 73. That's not much of a difference in being uncomfortable. It is 86 degrees and Dallas is 92.
Compare it mid-afternoon. Oftentimes we have humidity in the 20% range whereas Key West is closer to 100%. It's always more humid (higher dew point) in the morning and evening hours.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Compare it mid-afternoon. Oftentimes we have humidity in the 20% range whereas Key West is closer to 100%. It's always more humid (higher dew point) in the morning and evening hours.
Okay, I'll go back and look. Be right back.

At 2:53 p.m. yesterday, below is Dallas. Is that the time you mean for mid-afternoon?

93 degrees
73 dew point
52% humidity

At the same time for Key West, it was:

86 degrees
77 dew point
74%

Of course, Key West will usually be more humid because of its proximity to the Gulf, but it blows me away that Dallas being so far inland is so blasted humid. I realize not all days are as humid as yesterday, but geez. Do you buy the "rumor" that Texas is so humid because of all the man-made lakes? I've heard many die-hard Texans say that and I guess it makes sense to a certain extent, but I've always wondered.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Okay, I'll go back and look. Be right back.

At 2:53 p.m. yesterday, below is Dallas. Is that the time you mean for mid-afternoon?

93 degrees
73 dew point
52% humidity

At the same time for Key West, it was:

86 degrees
77 dew point
74%

Of course, Key West will usually be more humid because of its proximity to the Gulf, but it blows me away that Dallas being so far inland is so blasted humid. I realize not all days are as humid as yesterday, but geez. Do you buy the "rumor" that Texas is so humid because of all the man-made lakes? I've heard many die-hard Texans say that and I guess it makes sense to a certain extent, but I've always wondered.
No it's not proximity to the Gulf, as opposed to the Atlantic that does it, it's being a small island embedded in a huge ocean. An increase in temperature in the afternoon just sucks that more water out of the ocean, maintaining the relative humidity, whereas Dallas has fewer sources of water vapor, and rising afternoon temps just lower the relative humidity. Any increase in humidity levels due to the lakes will be relatively close to the lakes, not all over the Metroplex.

I don't know how representative one particular reading is, but even at that, Dallas' weather at 2:53PM is far, far better than Key West's.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
No it's not proximity to the Gulf, as opposed to the Atlantic that does it, it's being a small island embedded in a huge ocean. An increase in temperature in the afternoon just sucks that more water out of the ocean, maintaining the relative humidity, whereas Dallas has fewer sources of water vapor, and rising afternoon temps just lower the relative humidity. Any increase in humidity levels due to the lakes will be relatively close to the lakes, not all over the Metroplex.

I don't know how representative one particular reading is, but even at that, Dallas' weather at 2:53PM is far, far better than Key West's.
I agree about the reading; one isn't going to cut it. I would certainly hope Dallas' weather is better than Key West, but then again, there are those who would not agree with that statement.

You're saying the warm waters of the Gulf don't have anything to do with it? Key West is on the Gulf and the Atlantic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas