Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,313,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
1. If one would like to move, sometimes that is easier said than done. If money were no object, I'm sure some would leave the heat and move to a climate that was more comfortable.

2. If you read my posts, you will see that from late October to early May, I'm pretty satisfied with the weather. In fact, I love cold winters and always hope for the colder the better. I love cloudy and rainy days, but I love sunshine as well. I just don't like the hot and / or humid days.

I've read posts from native Texans complain (your word) about the cloudy days considering them yucky, dreary, boring, or the winters being too cold at times. No one calls that complaining. Hmmm...strange!! If anyone comments negatively about the heat, they should be treated the same as anyone who comments negatively about the clouds and rainy days. After all, you'll find both in Texas. It's just one of those things...some like it hot, some like it cold.

You specified Texas weather complainers. You might want to hunt down the ones who profess loving the heat but not the cold and rainy days but the "bring out the sunshine" Texans. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
With reference to your response of question #1 - if the person moved to Texas they obviously failed to learn what type of weather they would have while living in the state, which is very poor planning on their part.

With reference to your response of question #2 - I don't have a problem with people expressing displeasure (complaining if you will) when the weather is not typical of what is expected in Texas. The problem is when people complain about the typical Texas weather! Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I also have two questions:

(1) Why is it that anytime anybody says they don't like something that has anything to do with Texas some people take it as a personal offense and suggest that everybody get out?? Seriously?

(2) Why would somebody choose as their onscreen username the slang word for a woman's vulva?? I can just hear the redneck accent coming in through the computer speakers. Especially when said person was complaining about the women not showing enough skin around town

Who said it wasn't possible to stay classy in 100 degree heat?
1 - Because Texans don't like outsiders moving here and then bashing the state.

2 - That just shows how obtuse you are. The decades-old nickname is actually Kooter. This is a name that parents, relatives, teachers, friends, church members, business associates, etc. have called me for many decades. It has nothing to do with a woman's vulva! No more so than the name "Dick" is a slang word for a man's penis! I think everyone can visualize the foolish look on your face as you read this!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 AM

78 posts, read 193,577 times
Kootr not everyone had a choice to move to Texas. There have been a lot of companies that have closed offices and moved to Texas. Employees get the opportunity to move with them or stay where they are with no job. Then they are forced to find a new job in a depressed economy where their resumes are compared with 500 similar applicants. Employers can now lower the salary because they have many many qualified individuals willing to take a pay cut to stay afloat. Our bills do not change when we change jobs. A pay cut to many means they will not be able to afford the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

I wish I could see the world as black and white as you can but quite frankly, it is never that simple. If it is, you are either naive or really have limited worldly experience.

One of the things I have seen in Texas is a lot of the people never leave. They vacation here and find other areas of Texas "beautiful" yet the only thing they can compare it to is something within the state.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPlayr View Post
Kootr not everyone had a choice to move to Texas. There have been a lot of companies that have closed offices and moved to Texas. Employees get the opportunity to move with them or stay where they are with no job. Then they are forced to find a new job in a depressed economy where their resumes are compared with 500 similar applicants. Employers can now lower the salary because they have many many qualified individuals willing to take a pay cut to stay afloat. Our bills do not change when we change jobs. A pay cut to many means they will not be able to afford the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

I wish I could see the world as black and white as you can but quite frankly, it is never that simple. If it is, you are either naive or really have limited worldly experience.

One of the things I have seen in Texas is a lot of the people never leave. They vacation here and find other areas of Texas "beautiful" yet the only thing they can compare it to is something within the state.
Not naive at all. I own places in San Diego, Dallas, Asheville, NC and Manhattan. I have traveled all over the US and a good part of the world.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Can I ask two questions to all the complainers about Texas weather (we know who you are because your complaints come often):

(1) Why don't you move to some place where you will be happier with the weather?

(2) Do you consider yourself a complainer about a lot of things...instead of someone that finds and enjoys the good things in life?
Question 1.....money, would you like to contribute to my moving fund?

Question 2.....Nope, just doing a little venting and agreeing with the other people who don't like the weather here.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,837,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Question 1.....money, would you like to contribute to my moving fund?

Question 2.....Nope, just doing a little venting and agreeing with the other people who don't like the weather here.
#1 Can't afford to leave - sounds more like you don't hate it enough to deal with the hassle of moving. I'd bet that lot's of illegal immigrants were pretty darn poor as well in their native countries, yet here they are - it's all about perspective.

#2 Still, people are entitled to their opinions, and no one can deny that it gets damn hot here. Plus the heat makes people ornery

Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
#1 Can't afford to leave - sounds more like you don't hate it enough to deal with the hassle of moving. I'd bet that lot's of illegal immigrants were pretty darn poor as well in their native countries, yet here they are - it's all about perspective.

#2 Still, people are entitled to their opinions, and no one can deny that it gets damn hot here. Plus the heat makes people ornery

Yes I cannot afford to move and I definitely hate it enough. And most of those illegal immigrants are smuggled in, maybe I can find someone to smuggle me into North Carolina.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM

1 way Greyhound ticket from Houston to Raleigh is $120. You could be there by Wednesday and that's just one option. You could also carpool, hitch, ride a bike, walk - I'm not even kidding about these options. When I moved from Michigan to Texas I had to pay 900 bucks for Mayflower to move my car - I drove my wife's car down. I would have paid someone to drive my car down for some negotiated price (less than 900) - these days with craigslist there are lots of possibilities - who knows you could actually end up in NC with more money than you left Houston with

I'm not trying to pick on you or be in your face - just pointing out that if someone is truly motivated, they make things happen. This is still a free country - mostly.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-02-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
1 way Greyhound ticket from Houston to Raleigh is $120. You could be there by Wednesday and that's just one option. You could also carpool, hitch, ride a bike, walk - I'm not even kidding about these options. When I moved from Michigan to Texas I had to pay 900 bucks for Mayflower to move my car - I drove my wife's car down. I would have paid someone to drive my car down for some negotiated price (less than 900) - these days with craigslist there are lots of possibilities - who knows you could actually end up in NC with more money than you left Houston with

I'm not trying to pick on you or be in your face - just pointing out that if someone is truly motivated, they make things happen. This is still a free country - mostly.
I think you nailed her!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM

I thought of another angle to get you to NC. You could actually walk. Start a blog, get donations through a paypal credit card account, post updates along the way - it would be awesome. I know for a fact you've got plenty of people on this very forum that would donate to get you to NC. You'd probably become famous!

Half joking here, but it could work.

-edit- not trying to nail you, I'm really am trying to help you get to NC -edit-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas