Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,289,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's too cold today.

I like it hot as well. As far as shoveling snow vs mowing the lawn, you can always get up early to mow your lawn in Texas if you don't like the heat.
I do get up early, but sometimes it's just too darn wet to mow and I have to wait until evening. Once in a while, it will be okay at 6:30 in the morning, but usually, it can't be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,924,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't have asthma, so I really don't know much about it except when a neighbor teen who had it played sports, he got worse. Would all that exercise have anything to do with it? By the way, I am impressed with such physical fitness. I wish I could do that, but I'd have to wait until it was 50 degrees here. Well, I doubt I'd hold up for 15 miles on the bike, but 5 miles hiking I think I could handle.

Also if one knows cold air and altitude are not good for his or her condition, why would one choose to vacation in such a place and be miserable?

It's hot and humid in Dallas with the humidity 74% and the dew point 72. If you can go on a long bike ride in this stifling weather, I guess you really are used to it from living here all your life or you just love really hot weather as so really do, I truly believe that. I wish I were where you are; it sounds delightful.
As a matter of fact getting involved in sports early w/ asthma is best. My youngest has asthma (many hospital visits in the winter months for her) and plays soccer. It helps them. Some people just can't do it or don't want to. With a good asthma action plan one can play sports (3 kids on her team have asthma) and be just fine. You just have to know how to treat it for preventative measures.

The sports are not really the problem w/ asthma. The weather is. The cold damp air is the absolute worst. The hospitals are full of asthma patients in the winter months and it is also prime time for RSV and other bronchial issues.

We went because the kids had not been to that area of Colorado in the summer and it is the areas I grew up going to all of the time in the summer. Hubby wanted the mountains too so I just followed along. Been 15 years since I'd done some of those things in that area as I've only been up there in the winter lately. So now the kids have done: Pikes Peak, The Royal Gorge, The North Pole, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, the Continental Divide, the Alpine Slide (I'm a speed racer ) and biked thru the mountains and................. WE SAW A BEAR!!!!! I've never seen a bear in the wild before but we did one morning outside of our cabin as he came walking right on by us. Freaked us out a bit but I think he was more freaked than we were. Just wish I'd had my camera on me.

Oh, while we were up there the weather in Denver (which we did not stay in Denver but saw the news at night) is not all that pleasant. The humidity levels were in the 70's and the dew point was in the 50's-60's even though the temps were in the 80's. Denver can have some crappy weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
On a side note, momof2dfw clearly demonstrates that Southern women (and Texas women in particular) are by far the best and most charming flirts on the planet! Another benefit to living down here in addition to barbecue, mild winters, and Southern hospitality.
````````blushing``````````` thank you

Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,924,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Oh, while we were up there the weather in Denver (which we did not stay in Denver but saw the news at night) is not all that pleasant. The humidity levels were in the 70's and the dew point was in the 50's-60's even though the temps were in the 80's. Denver can have some crappy weather.
I just want to add to this something interesting we noticed while we were IN Denver. I've been to Denver a million times and they do have a lot of parks and some that are all near bodies of water w/ paddle boats and such (much smaller than White Rock Lake). On Tuesday (July 28th) there was not a SINGLE SOUL at the parks we went past (about 4 of the large parks w/ water, paddle boats, walking/jogging trails, playground, picnic area, etc). The weather was a bit overcast but no rain or high winds. It was in the 70's that day. I even commented that if that had been Dallas those parks would have been PACKED! Even on a weekday around here you find parks packed w/ people on nice weather days. The ONLY people we saw doing outside pleasure activities were up in the mountains. I just find it odd that we always hear people that come here from the large cities in Colorado going on about how much more outdoor activities there are to do there and "the weather is so much better"........ yet here were all of these completely empty parks. Even the two amusement parks in the city were like ghost towns and I don't even think one of them was open that day. The week before on Tuesday the other amusement park over by the new stadium was open but it still looked like a ghost town. Pick any day here and go visit Six Flags and there is going to be a crowd regardless of the weather and high temps.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact getting involved in sports early w/ asthma is best. My youngest has asthma (many hospital visits in the winter months for her) and plays soccer. It helps them. Some people just can't do it or don't want to. With a good asthma action plan one can play sports (3 kids on her team have asthma) and be just fine. You just have to know how to treat it for preventative measures.

The sports are not really the problem w/ asthma. The weather is. The cold damp air is the absolute worst. The hospitals are full of asthma patients in the winter months and it is also prime time for RSV and other bronchial issues.

We went because the kids had not been to that area of Colorado in the summer and it is the areas I grew up going to all of the time in the summer. Hubby wanted the mountains too so I just followed along. Been 15 years since I'd done some of those things in that area as I've only been up there in the winter lately. So now the kids have done: Pikes Peak, The Royal Gorge, The North Pole, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, the Continental Divide, the Alpine Slide (I'm a speed racer ) and biked thru the mountains and................. WE SAW A BEAR!!!!! I've never seen a bear in the wild before but we did one morning outside of our cabin as he came walking right on by us. Freaked us out a bit but I think he was more freaked than we were. Just wish I'd had my camera on me.

I think that's pretty cool seeing a bear.

I know Denver can have not so pleasant weather. Dew points in the 50s are pretty comfortable but when they hit 60s and higher, it starts feeling rather sultry. I was referring to the degree you listed about wishing I were there. I think you said it was in the 50s. I know they don't happen as often as in Texas, but Denver has had too many tornadoes for my taste anyway and you well know how I hate the thought of them.

By the way, right now at 5:05 p.m., it's 84 degrees, 65% humidity, and a 71 dew point (that's high). Because it's cooler, I can deal with it outside. It isn't overwhelming, so I'm assuming Denver is pretty comfortable with the numbers you listed above. It is summer, so I would expect most places to have warm weather. The point is Texas can be so overly hot like it was in June and many days this month as well. I do feel so blessed that we've had several breaks in the triple digit temperatures. As my dear mother used to say, "This too shall pass." I can't wait for Autumn!!

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-30-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

218 posts, read 742,155 times
All y'all complaining about heat in TX should just TRY to tolerate the weather in Los Angeles... nothing does the lungs better, than sucking in big breaths of Mars-colored air, which hangs as an omnipresent haze over downtown LA, in the middle of the summer, where it gets to be 90-100+ degrees, and the only thing around you is thousands upon thousands of cars, each belcing out WARM exhaust, as they sit in traffic.

And then, there's our lovely fire season, where for a month, half the damn state is abalze, and you get this lovely millimeter-thick layer of ash that settles on everything, and blankets the sky in a rust-red color, and oh, by the way... you're also breathing in all that lovely ash. Again, nothin' but fun for the lungs.

If California HAD any rain, the air would be clean, but this cancer of a state must have some form of anti-rain shield over it. Don't even bother watching the weather report on, TV, because move here, and you'll be getting 364 days of bright sunshine, with NO chance of rain, and you'll be able to coat your lungs good and black with pollutants and ash.

I can't wait until September, when I move to East TX, where there's plenty of rain. California isn't the golden state... it's the flammable state.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,313,982 times
Can any of you even remember the days of 100+ temperatures? How long ago was that? I assume all the complainers survived! We haven't seen 100 degrees in a long, long time. In fact, we even had some 70s for our daytime highs.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,313,982 times
Where is the blue sky, sunshine and heat that I love so much? I sure do miss it...

All I see are people wearing long sleeves and coats, and carrying umbrellas. Cars are now dirty, with windows up and no convertible tops down. And the girls have on warmer clothes...showing less skin.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 AM

With a dew point of 75, I don't think you have to worry about anyone being cool in Dallas. That's tropical!! It is better though than triple digits.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-01-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,021,453 times
Quote:
I just want to add to this something interesting we noticed while we were IN Denver. I've been to Denver a million times and they do have a lot of parks and some that are all near bodies of water w/ paddle boats and such (much smaller than White Rock Lake). On Tuesday (July 28th) there was not a SINGLE SOUL at the parks we went past (about 4 of the large parks w/ water, paddle boats, walking/jogging trails, playground, picnic area, etc). The weather was a bit overcast but no rain or high winds. It was in the 70's that day. I even commented that if that had been Dallas those parks would have been PACKED! Even on a weekday around here you find parks packed w/ people on nice weather days. The ONLY people we saw doing outside pleasure activities were up in the mountains. I just find it odd that we always hear people that come here from the large cities in Colorado going on about how much more outdoor activities there are to do there and "the weather is so much better"........ yet here were all of these completely empty parks. Even the two amusement parks in the city were like ghost towns and I don't even think one of them was open that day. The week before on Tuesday the other amusement park over by the new stadium was open but it still looked like a ghost town. Pick any day here and go visit Six Flags and there is going to be a crowd regardless of the weather and high temps.

You have no clue about Colorado.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,901,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
With a dew point of 75, I don't think you have to worry about anyone being cool in Dallas. That's tropical!! It is better though than triple digits.
I don't know, dew points in the 70s is pretty darn uncomfortable, even if it is <100 degrees. Here in Austin, with our seemingly endless triple-digit days and drought, we are at least getting merciful dew points in the high 50s during the afternoon... which I much prefer. As long as there is shade.

For example, right now weather.com has our dew point at 58 deg, humidity 26%, and 99 degrees. Austin/Bergstrom AFB Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas

Dallas is 72 deg dew point (probably because of wet weather) - Dallas Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas

And Houston has a dew point of 68 deg (comfortable by their standards) - Houston Weather Forecast and Conditions Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas