Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

78 posts, read 193,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
1 way Greyhound ticket from Houston to Raleigh is $120. You could be there by Wednesday and that's just one option. You could also carpool, hitch, ride a bike, walk - I'm not even kidding about these options. When I moved from Michigan to Texas I had to pay 900 bucks for Mayflower to move my car - I drove my wife's car down. I would have paid someone to drive my car down for some negotiated price (less than 900) - these days with craigslist there are lots of possibilities - who knows you could actually end up in NC with more money than you left Houston with

I'm not trying to pick on you or be in your face - just pointing out that if someone is truly motivated, they make things happen. This is still a free country - mostly.
That is like me saying Texan's could get a student loan or a grant and get educated and raise the average intelligence level here. Then they could go to Wait Watchers for a few hundred a month and be thin. Yes it is truly that easy to become smart and thin!!! We could also get a speech therapist here to help the rednecks out. Who knows, maybe with all of the Califonian's coming in they can breed out some of the irregularities .

Seriously though, if transportation was the only thing stopping people from leaving, don't you think they would have left by now? Step back and see the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,840,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPlayr View Post
Seriously though, if transportation was the only thing stopping people from leaving, don't you think they would have left by now? Step back and see the big picture.
That's basically what I was getting at - I guess the humor (not so much sarcasm - just a little) I intended didn't come across. The grand total of reasons to leave is not more than the grand total of reasons to stay - otherwise just like you say they would be gone. The response I got back was - oh, but do I hate it that much. Yet they are still here - so clearly that's not an accurate statement. Anyway - I'm mostly here killing time and not trying to prove anything to anyone - just entertaining myself, hopefully entertaining some others, not trying to offend anybody

(tone and inflection is so difficult to convey online)

Last edited by tyanger; 08-02-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,030,687 times
Quote:
That's basically what I was getting at . The grand total of reasons to leave is not more than the grand total of reasons to stay - otherwise just like you say they would be gone. The response I got back was - oh, but do I hate it that much. Yet they are still here - so clearly that's not an accurate statement. Anyway - I repeat, I'm mostly here killing time and not trying to prove anything to anyone - just entertaining myself, hopefully entertaining some others, not trying to offend anybody

(tone and inflection is so difficult to convey online)
What he said was, people can just take a bus and leave, they are stuck here. otherwise they would be gone.
There are probably a 1000 reasons why they hate texas, but 2 main reasons why they stay a job and money.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
What he said was, people can just take a bus and leave, they are stuck here. otherwise they would be gone.
There are probably a 1000 reasons why they hate texas, but 2 main reasons why they stay a job and money.
I don't buy that - I don't believe that there are many people that frequent these forums that are truly stuck - where there is not a single solution or option available to solve the horror of existing in Texas. What I mean to say is that I believe they just don't hate Texas enough to leave. You said it yourself - there are 2 main reasons that outweigh all 1,000 other things - but you aren't actually stuck you just don't hate it enough here to leave.

I have heard of some other places besides Texas that have jobs and housing. Also, I'm not aware of any occupations where you can only work in Texas, but I suppose they could exist. If that is the situation these people are all in, then I retract my statments.

I admit that there are things about Texas I don't like either, but there are more things that I like so I live here.
I was in New York a few years ago and there were things that I liked about it, but more things that I didn't like so I don't live there. I'm not saying you have to love it here - I'm not saying you have to leave if you hate it - I'm saying if you hate it so much do something about it. No one should have to live in misery.

On another note - I don't think I can actually come up with 1,000 reasons to dislike anyone/anything/anyplace.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-02-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I admit that there are things about Texas I don't like either, but there are more things that I like so I live here.
I was in New York a few years ago and there were things that I liked about it, but more things that I didn't like so I don't live there. I'm not saying you have to love it here - I'm not saying you have to leave if you hate it - I'm saying if you hate it so much do something about it. No one should have to live in misery.

ace.

Have an opportunity to go upstate NY. What did you not like about NY?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Have an opportunity to go upstate NY. What did you not like about NY?
My brother in law lives in Manhattan, so I've been there a few times. Went to Stony Brook for an interview once - was there a couple of days. Mostly I didn't like the winter weather in general (ditto for when I was in Michigan) and the cramped quarters of Manhattan specifically. I also didn't like the cost of living and tax structure. I'm sure there are parts of NY I would love especially at certain times of the year, I just prefer not to live there.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
My brother in law lives in Manhattan, so I've been there a few times. Went to Stony Brook for an interview once - was there a couple of days. Mostly I didn't like the winter weather in general (ditto for when I was in Michigan) and the cramped quarters of Manhattan specifically. I also didn't like the cost of living and tax structure. I'm sure there are parts of NY I would love especially at certain times of the year, I just prefer not to live there.

True, I think the winters are probably harsh. I think upstate NY is cheaper to live though, but I wouldn't go up as far as Buffalo.

Stony Brook is one of the reasons I was seriously consiering moving there, and I have a good friend in Long Island.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,306,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
With reference to your response of question #1 - if the person moved to Texas they obviously failed to learn what type of weather they would have while living in the state, which is very poor planning on their part.

With reference to your response of question #2 - I don't have a problem with people expressing displeasure (complaining if you will) when the weather is not typical of what is expected in Texas. The problem is when people complain about the typical Texas weather! Big difference.
1. I was young and didn't plan. It all seemed so simple back then. Dumb...Yes, I'm the first one to admit it and the first one to have to accept my stupidity. I live with it every day but I must admit, it has only really gotten difficult for about the past six years.

2. Cold, damp, and cloudy are all indicative of Texas weather during certain times of the year as are tornadoes. Would you believe there are actually native Texans who don't like tornadoes? I know most Texans don't claim that, but it's true. Would you believe people also sputter when lightning hits a house and sets it on fire? When you read those posts, do feel free to "reprimand" them as well.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,306,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPlayr View Post
That is like me saying Texan's could get a student loan or a grant and get educated and raise the average intelligence level here. Then they could go to Wait Watchers for a few hundred a month and be thin. Yes it is truly that easy to become smart and thin!!! We could also get a speech therapist here to help the rednecks out. Who knows, maybe with all of the Califonian's coming in they can breed out some of the irregularities .

Since you mentioned education and intelligence, I must comment. There is a difference between being intelligent and smart. Someone may be book smart because of what he or she has learned in higher education, but with intelligence, one either has or doesn't. I can't tell you how many people I know who have master's degrees, but are as ignorant as a rocks, very unintelligent and lacking terribly in common sense. No amount of books is going to make one intelligent if it just isn't there in the first place.

By the way, it is WEIGHT Watchers, not WAIT.

Please do not put an apostrophe after Texan or Californian unless it's possessive.

transportation WERE (not was)

That's all I'll mention. I guess the books didn't help you too much.

As a Californian living in Texas, I find your statement about "breeding out some of the irregularities" totally ignorant.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,322,512 times
Quote:
There are jobs elsewhere. They are not jobs just in Texas! If someone can't come up with enough money to move that tells me the person has no education or intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas