Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,981 times

Advertisements

I have a question,

is it "windy" in the area?

I was speaking to someone recently who said that "even though it get's hot in the Dallas area, It's real windy and the wind keeps it cooler feeling"

Do you guys think that's true? is there a nice breeze generally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Supposedly the Dallas area is "windier" than Chicago. That is what one news weatherman said a few years ago. Sometimes during the day it can be very still then as the sun goes down the wind picks up. Wind damage is frequent though around here. If your fence is pretty bad and you think if the kid ran into it the whole thing is down, your going to find your fence down ALL THE TIME with the wind. Fences are usually the greatest "victim" of the wind. Not too often do we get the BIG winds that really wreck havoc. Oh, and NEVER, EVER leave your patio umbrella up. Only put it up when you are using it. I've got to go buy a new one now since the kids put ours up a few weeks ago and we did not put it back down. Big wind storm came in that night (that huge dust storm we had a few weekends back) and broke that thing in half when it blew the whole table over. Oh yeah, pulled the patio table, chairs, glider, etc out of the pool many times.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Yep, it's windier here than Chicago. But that's a great thing in the summer because it's not very humid to begin with, and a nice breeze helps cool things off even more.

And just think, when the price of home windmills come down, we'll be able to generate enough electricity for the average sized home from a small windmill in the yard

Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 45,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Supposedly the Dallas area is "windier" than Chicago. That is what one news weatherman said a few years ago. Sometimes during the day it can be very still then as the sun goes down the wind picks up. Wind damage is frequent though around here. If your fence is pretty bad and you think if the kid ran into it the whole thing is down, your going to find your fence down ALL THE TIME with the wind. Fences are usually the greatest "victim" of the wind. Not too often do we get the BIG winds that really wreck havoc. Oh, and NEVER, EVER leave your patio umbrella up. Only put it up when you are using it. I've got to go buy a new one now since the kids put ours up a few weeks ago and we did not put it back down. Big wind storm came in that night (that huge dust storm we had a few weekends back) and broke that thing in half when it blew the whole table over. Oh yeah, pulled the patio table, chairs, glider, etc out of the pool many times.
Wind damage is frequent? yikes! I never even thought of that. Is there a particular direction that is more windprone? North/South? I don't know what the normal windflow pattern of the states is. If it is N/S I guess if you're trying to escape the E/W sun beating you'll have to deal w/ the wind then huh? What direction is good to face these days anyway?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times
Thats funny because I also noticed it was quite windy there.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,332 times
It's windy, but I wouldn't say that it is all that bad 90% of the time. The other 10% you pretty much know it's coming and you hang out indoors until it dies down. Remember that most things weather related are pretty short lived here. So you may get some strong gusts for an hour or so, then a light shower, followed by sunshine and calm. I also agree that the wind keeps it more bearable in the Summer. 105 in a place like Palm Springs feels more like 105 than say Dallas. The breezes kind of keep you from feeling like your baking in the sun.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Smile Windy in Dallas?

I would have NEVER described Dallas as being windy! I grew up in the Pandhandle of Texas (Lubbock) and it is much, much windier there! In fact, when we moved to the Dallas area, I noticed that I could go outside without my hair blowing all to pieces, ha! It can be windy, of course, if a storm is blowing in or something but again, I would never describe the Dallas area as especially windy. Hot and humid...yes!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
I'm not quite sure where all of the "it's windy, but helps cool you down in the summer" posts came from, but it's hardly ever windy in the summertime around here. In the long, hot dog days of summer, it's mostly just as still as can be - just when you'd like that breeze to cool you off. There may be an occasional 5 or 7 mile per hour breeze in the morning or evening, but during the heat of the day it's mostly just still and quiet.

And the windy months are generally February/March - winds prevalent from the South, West, and Northwest during those months.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,868 times
I guess I'm a bit spoiled. Growning up in the rural parts of the Carolina's, one quickly learns the value of having trees around the edges of the "homestead property". Besides the obvious benfit of providing shade, they can help block the winds whipping across a field, and/or funnel a breeze through the home. Of course the direction of the winds can lead to issues.

I am suprised by the number of solid fences I've seen here. Considering how bad the winds can be, I would have expected most fences with gaps to let the wind through.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Fortunately we live in an older, established area with lots of trees. It's also lower lying than the surrounding areas. Even so, we still get some pretty strong winds coming through here and it amazes me that our privacy fence hasn't been affected one single bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas