Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 36,103 times

Advertisements

Moving to Collin county and trying to decide on a high school. I want to get out of Dallas ISD before my daughter begins high school. It is difficult to decide as Collin County has some of the best schools in the nation. Do you recommend AP or IB program and which school is THE BEST for each track. Which school has best debate program? Housing budget is $350-450K and swimming pool is a MUST have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Anyone? I found threads and threads of older posts but no one talks about GPA effect of IB vs AP? I'm not picky about the house, any decent one that appraises for asking price and passes inspection is good enough for me. Next six years are about getting both children on a professional track in decent colleges.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Plano East is stronger than Allen high school, including comparison of IB, but I would not buy in actual east Plano but instead places like Murphy, east Richardson and Parker that feed into Plano ISD. I don't recall you mentioning commute? That needs to be factored in.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:19 PM

Is it easier to get higher GPA and rank on AP track or IB track? If one enrolls in IB but drops out then what happens?

I work in Medical district and SO commutes to Frisco.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Plano East and Plano Senior both have extremely strong debate programs. Surprisingly, Plano West's team isn't quite up to the level of the other two.

--

If GPA is your sole motivation, it is easier to get a high GPA through careful selection of AP courses (AP Stats instead of AP Calc BC, AP Environmental Science instead of AP Physics C, etc.). IB classes are extremely challenging, making it very difficult to get high GPAs.

However, a transcript full of "AP-lite" classes will get your college app tossed out in favor of a kid with a lower GPA, but a full IB diploma program.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:43 PM

I'm looking for a good balance between learning, scoring, EC and social activities. AP looks very flexible but not like a balanced meal, more like a buffet bar. Is it a 4 year commitment with IB or one can switch any time during 9-12? Would it be possible to continue debate and Viola with IB?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Plano East is stronger than Allen high school, including comparison of IB, but I would not buy in actual east Plano but instead places like Murphy, east Richardson and Parker that feed into Plano ISD. I don't recall you mentioning commute? That needs to be factored in.
I like Parker but I remember someone mentioning septic tanks. Is that a concern? East Richardson is a good location. How would you compare area around Bob Woodruff park to East Richardson?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerberG View Post
Moving to Collin county and trying to decide on a high school. I want to get out of Dallas ISD before my daughter begins high school. It is difficult to decide as Collin County has some of the best schools in the nation. Do you recommend AP or IB program and which school is THE BEST for each track. Which school has best debate program? Housing budget is $350-450K and swimming pool is a MUST have.
Actually, DISD has some of the best high schools in the nation, not CoCo. If your daughter is already enrolled in DISD, why not go through the application process for the TAG Magnet HS or SEM ( if she has STEM interests)?? If she doesn't get in, you can looks elsewhere but if she does, it's a free education at one of the top 5 public high schools in the US.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerberG View Post
I'm looking for a good balance between learning, scoring, EC and social activities. AP looks very flexible but not like a balanced meal, more like a buffet bar. Is it a 4 year commitment with IB or one can switch any time during 9-12? Would it be possible to continue debate and Viola with IB?
Then you're looking for AP classes, not IB. Nothing about IB is "balanced" or allows a social life or time to participate in extracurriculars. IB is a full four year commitment with a series of rigorous exams your senior year to be awarded the IB diploma; the only reason people leave is when they can't keep up or choose to have a life. If you leave in 10th grade, you're not getting back in for 11th.

AP classes have rigorous college-level curriculum but because you pick & choose which ones to sign up for, it's not as overwhelming as the full IB course load.

If you're focused strictly on GPA/ rank, AP will be easier than IB since your kids can take AP classes in subjects that interest them and regular track classes for subjects they aren't as strong in- best of both worlds.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 PM

You are absolutely right about that but admission is not guaranteed and it is more like deciding a major. I'm not sure if both of them can get in magnet schools or would like to commit to STEM program.

I want high school to be about a balanced education with no worries about picking a major or a career path. Just learning and exploring subjects and off course building a resume to attract good colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas