Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times

Advertisements

Of course I'm not exempt from the "unfortunate" and "ugly" side of life, because I have made it my full-time career (and my LIFE) to help people.

I have a sneaking suspicion you're one of those liberals who talks a good talk...how many countries have you visited to minister to the poor? How many volunteer hours do you log? How much money do you donate?

And even if you do any of those things, who are you to question what kind of atmosphere I want to live in and want to raise my kids in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM

636 posts, read 1,917,727 times
I was at the corner of the Tollway and Legacy the other day, and there was a poor Mexican kid spraying fire from his mouth for pennies.

His teeth were hideous.

Putting on my serious hat for just a moment, I will admit that the complaint seems a bit over the top. However, I will say for about the millionth time since I joined this forum, that people have a right to their expectations, whether it is of their city or regarding their homeowners association.

Again, being serious, I don't agree with all of the posts. However, they aren't trying to impose their will on those who live beyond their domain. What irritates me is the rash of posts that follow, by those who aren't even part of the community, that feel the need to boost their self esteem by hurling insults at the poster.

I have very low tolerance for people who need to boost their own ego by putting others down. It's a sly form of self congratulation, and it turns my stomach. It is those people who I have made a point to call out on these threads.

Hey, these forums are open to all who wish to comment, but if you decide you want to come around and insult these people, you're going to get it right back.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

sorry to flood with posts, and I'm not trying to insult the original poster, but I have seen a rash of brand new members lately, who immediately begin to make somewhat sensational posts. I wonder if some of these new members are not 'planted' here by those trying to shed a negative light on certain communities.

Just saying...

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,601,426 times
I thought that charities that were legit had to get a city permit to ask for money at intersections? That way, if they are permitted, they should have more credibility. Might be worth contacting Plano City Hall on that one.

And for what it's worth... do you realize that you're on a public street? That means you'll have to deal with the public - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I thought that charities that were legit had to get a city permit to ask for money at intersections? That way, if they are permitted, they should have more credibility. Might be worth contacting Plano City Hall on that one.

And for what it's worth... do you realize that you're on a public street? That means you'll have to deal with the public - the good, the bad and the ugly.
There is truth to this. If they don't have a permit, turn them in. If they do, seek to change the ordinance. Short of that, there's not much you can do about it.

LH, I applaud your rational participation.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
First thing I want to put on this list are the groups of people who, presumably for some charitable organization, take over all corners of an intersection and ask that drivers' spare change be put in the white bucket they're toting around.

I found this to be not only commonplace but also readily accepted when I lived in Austin, but here in Plano I don't want to see it. Forgive me, but I can't help but question the legitimacy of the group. Occasionally they may dress it up a little bit...but someone in jeans and a t-shirt, holding a bucket at an intersection, appears more homeless than philanthropic.
I assume a faded picture of a needy child taped haphazardly to the bucket is supposed to convince me otherwise.

I have no problem with the firefighters and their boots, btw...just so's you don't think I have a problem with charity in general. The fire truck parked nearby covers all my legitimacy concerns.

Thoughts? Anything anyone else would like to add to the list?
"Suburban life ain't what it seems, suburban life the American dream"

Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Bravo, LH. That was useful information. I think the poster should do that. Or if I see them again and see any discernable organization name, I will check it out.

Meanwhile, back to the original thread?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,984 times
This give me an excellent idea! I think I'll go stand on one of the busiest corners in WEST Plano and see if I can raise funds to build a wall around the area. I'm not sure if there are any groups working to officially make WEST Plano its own town, but I'll gladly add to those efforts too! Because WEST Plano is obviously a separate town from regular ole Plain-o and there had better be some grassroot movement to have it recognized or annexed or whatever is the fancy word for keeping the rest of Plano out. This way when people say they live in West Plano they will be referring to an actual city and can point it out on a map.

But I live in Mid North West But Not Totally West Still Fairly Central Richardson so what do I know? Not much. But everyone has their pet peeves.

Seriously, I can see how it would chap the hide of people who payed a buttload of money to move to a very nice, safe area just to be visually assaulted by panhandlers. But this thread would not take an ugly turn had the OP just complained about the issue as a whole. I mean NO ONE wants to be deceived by a 'charitable' group. I don't care which intersection I'm sitting at if I'm approached by a someone that is clearly scamming me. But I don't assume that every group standing on a corner with their raggedy cans and big white buckets is not legit. I can either donate or not. I can look away or not. I do not feel unsafe around these people and keep my suspicions in check because lots of groups do use street campaigns for their funding.

The idea that folks who live in an affluent area have 'more' a right to not deal with Vietnam vets or poor black children with candy bars is what gets me. The truly needy are everywhere and scammers are everywhere. The same business savvy that got a lot of West Plano residents their big fancy homes is not unlike the charities or poor folks targeting areas with deep-pocketed residents. And if you suspect they're working without a permit or involved in illegal activity, calling the West Plano police department could help solve the problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:06 PM

[quote=kacvb1974;4948253 Some silliness, then this:
Seriously, I can see how it would chap the hide of people who payed a buttload of money to move to a very nice, safe area just to be visually assaulted by panhandlers. But this thread would not take an ugly turn had the OP just complained about the issue as a whole.
Followed by some pontification on marketing strategy[/quote]

The complaint was specific because the poster has expectations within her community. She didn't complain about having to see it in Richardson, because that's for residents of Richardson to deal with. And trying to impose one's will on other communities is exactly what starts the flame wars around here. Unfortunately, even when one tries to address their own communities, it doesn't stop trolls from other areas from dropping by and leaving their calling card...

Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,055,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
First thing I want to put on this list are the groups of people who, presumably for some charitable organization, take over all corners of an intersection and ask that drivers' spare change be put in the white bucket they're toting around.

I found this to be not only commonplace but also readily accepted when I lived in Austin, but here in Plano I don't want to see it. Forgive me, but I can't help but question the legitimacy of the group. Occasionally they may dress it up a little bit...but someone in jeans and a t-shirt, holding a bucket at an intersection, appears more homeless than philanthropic.
I assume a faded picture of a needy child taped haphazardly to the bucket is supposed to convince me otherwise.

I have no problem with the firefighters and their boots, btw...just so's you don't think I have a problem with charity in general. The fire truck parked nearby covers all my legitimacy concerns.

Thoughts? Anything anyone else would like to add to the list?

I think it's pretty sad when folks think their community will shield them from society ills. I will leave you with this song since it fits this conversation pretty well.

YouTube - Phil Collins - Another day in paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas