Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 12:33 PM

227 posts, read 223,155 times

Advertisements

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/07/01/...s-dallas-texas

Dallas Woman In Her 20s With No Underlying Health Conditions Among 7 New Coronavirus Deaths In County

Old 07-02-2020, 12:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Looking at the data by county, the DFW area is doing pretty good. San Antonio is doing ok. Austin and Houston are doing poorly. Per capita, Corpus Christi, Waco, and Galveston are currently the worst. I outlined the data on the coronavirus thread in the Texas forum.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:33 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Yes, I do honestly believe that. My experience in designing, construction, and auditing pharmaceutical manufacturing and clean room environments supports the idea that masks indeed help limit the spread of contaimnents, even if not everyone out in the world is following the protocol to a tee. Besides, someone contaminating their own mask has little effect on the protection it provides others.

Yes. Absolute perfection isn't necessary for the majority of people. The full sanitation regimen is necessary for medical personnel working in covid wards who are certainly exposed to covid-19 for long periods of time every day.

But the fact is, most of us don't are only rarely exposed to the contagion and rarely for very long. If we avoid the most dangerous environments (such as sitting in a room with many people for a long period of time), a less than perfect sanitation regimen is practicably satisfactory.

"Perfect" should not be made the enemy of "good."

Old 07-02-2020, 04:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
It is good we have a mask law now.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Plano recently had a vote on whether to mandate masks, something on the order of 83% of Plano residents thought a mask ordinance was a good idea. The mayor fought for it as well, but the Plano city council voted against the wishes of Plano residents. However, the takeaway here was that 80+% of people wanted and are ok with a mask ordinance and are happy with this latest executive order.

I've done a little study (no, not enough people to be truly scientific and there is selection bias) but on a couple forums I am on, one for McKinney, another for Frisco, and another for Prosper, it seems to hold true... about 80% of people in each city are on board with this latest Executive Order and think it's a good thing to help curb the spread.

The other 20% minority are a loud and belligerent lot who say they won't be forced to wear a mask by anyone.

At any rate, while I think 1 in 5 people being a moron is alarming in our communities, it's helpful to get some perspective... These are the people who spam false information about Covid 19 statistics, masks, and attack the 4/5ths majority who want our communities to be safe so we don't have to lock everything down again. They post so much crap that they appear to be about 50% of the posting activity, and they are quick to say they are 50% of the people, but they are not. Don't be fooled, they are overwhelmingly outnumbered. It's up to us to stand up to their ignorance, we can't afford to be silent. We will never change these people's minds, but they need to see that they are indeed the minority and perhaps we can shame them into changing their ways if they see that is what their communities want.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Plano recently had a vote on whether to mandate masks, something on the order of 83% of Plano resident

The other 20% minority are a loud and belligerent lot who say they won't be forced to wear a mask by anyone.
t.
They will likely find themselves getting kicked out of lots of stores and businesses now.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 PM

352 posts, read 778,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Plano recently had a vote on whether to mandate masks, something on the order of 83% of Plano residents thought a mask ordinance was a good idea. The mayor fought for it as well, but the Plano city council voted against the wishes of Plano residents. However, the takeaway here was that 80+% of people wanted and are ok with a mask ordinance and are happy with this latest executive order.

I've done a little study (no, not enough people to be truly scientific and there is selection bias) but on a couple forums I am on, one for McKinney, another for Frisco, and another for Prosper, it seems to hold true... about 80% of people in each city are on board with this latest Executive Order and think it's a good thing to help curb the spread.

At any rate, while I think 1 in 5 people being a moron is alarming in our communities, it's helpful to get some perspective... These are the people who spam false information about Covid 19 statistics, masks, and attack the 4/5ths majority who want our communities to be safe so we don't have to lock everything down again. They post so much crap that they appear to be about 50% of the posting activity, and they are quick to say they are 50% of the people, but they are not. Don't be fooled, they are overwhelmingly outnumbered. It's up to us to stand up to their ignorance, we can't afford to be silent. We will never change these people's minds, but they need to see that they are indeed the minority and perhaps we can shame them into changing their ways if they see that is what their communities want.
What is the reasoning behind this?

If the residents and mayor are in a overwhelming majority, why would anyone vote against it? What is the reasoning?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:58 AM

578 posts, read 479,068 times
Where is this 83% number coming from? I never saw such poll.

The mask mandate makes sense, but it is only fair if it is enacted retroactively. Anyone protested without mask need to be fined and any medical professional clapped for the protest need to be banned from practice.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:14 AM

5,838 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post

The mask mandate makes sense, but it is only fair if it is enacted retroactively. Anyone protested without mask need to be fined and any medical professional clapped for the protest need to be banned from practice.
Yeah, since we have such a long history of applying laws retroactively.

/sarcasm

Old 07-03-2020, 06:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post

That is ridiculous. Plus, the majority of protesters all over the country WORE MASKS. Not looters, but actual protesters.

Also ridiculous is that the order says that protesters outdoors must be masked (fair) but that churches don’t have to require them (wtf, Abbott, stop pandering to the hard right Evangelical block).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas