Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 AM

451 posts, read 320,790 times

Advertisements

Having a pulse oximeter at home is being recommended by many doctors. It costs in the range of around $60 to $80 on amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Do they have him monitor his oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter? It may be something he should ask them about.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 AM

198 posts, read 186,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
A local law firm worker was fired after posting a threat directed to the Whole Foods on Lomo Alto about face mask requirements. This threat comes a week after a Family Dollar security was shot over face masks in Flint Michigan. People are losing minds. Security guards don't need to die over a face mask.
Too bad that with idiots like the above mentioned folks, its hard to have an intelligent conversation about re-opening the economy. There are some voices that advocate a balanced approach and a careful well-thought through re-opening and those voices are lost because of the shrillness of arguments on both sides.

I'm personally not advocating anything one way over another. But I am barely impacted as I work in the luxury of my home office and have whatever I need delivered to me at will. For people watching their lives unravel as their business folds or as they lose their jobs - it is very hard to stay neutral and objective about this discussion. I get it. So unfortunately the few who act like idiots under these circumstances ruin it for everyone else that have a valid case to make. But lets acknowledge that there is a case and keep an open mind.

Here is one sane voice that makes the case for reopening the economy :
Take the Shutdown Skeptics Seriously

Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Having a pulse oximeter at home is being recommended by many doctors. It costs in the range of around $60 to $80 on amazon.

The presumption there is that covid-19 always operates as a pulmonary disease, which is not the case. It presents itself in a variety of ways.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:16 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Sweden is, no doubt, an exception. Global data strongly indicate that shutdowns work. Every expert epidemiologist thinks shutdowns work, and they all know about Sweden, too. I'm honestly not open to any argument that is a variation of "I know more about epidemiology than the experts." If you think the economic consequences are too great, we can have that debate. But arguing that the epidemiology itself is different than what a strong consensus of actual epidemiologists think is nonsense.

And FWIW, I don't think it's a 20k difference. I think we'd be looking at a 500k difference in fatalities. People can guess about why Sweden has been such an exception, but the bottom line is that we don't get to decide we're an exception. IMO, we've had the worst disease track of any major country when you factor in our lack of density and the large swaths of our country that have been lightly affected. It is irrational to think we'd be the singular exception (like Sweden) in the other direction if we didn't practice shutdowns.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Typical scare tactic, that if I go outside without a mask I will kill someone. If you drive you could kill someone. If people are that scared to go out, then don't go out. I'm tired of people walking around like everyone is a potential murderer...it isn't a way to live.

The cloth masks are useless, they don't stop viruses only large droplets. It is giving people a false sense of security, meanwhile they touch everything which will spread it anyway.

Nope, its bullying right now, if you don't agree people are treating you like garbage. Any other opinion against the inconsistent policies are removed or ignored.
This is factually incorrect. You are either parroting other factually incorrect or misleading statements or just spouting your own opinion. It may not be your fault: lots of confusing information has been put out, even by medical professionals. But statements like this are incorrect all the same.

The effectiveness is not always very high, depending on the mask, but it is greater than zero, with many, many applicable studies over the years to support this.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:40 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Just want to add, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it is interesting that anyone who has a different opinion is being silenced. So much for growing up where people taught you to think for yourself, not to bully, and respect people. Now its your an a hole if you don't follow emergency measures where governors are acting like dictators, and nobody questions everything.
1. No one is being silenced. There's just strong disagreement.

2. Disobeying public health emergency orders is in no way an example of "thinking for yourself."

Old 05-11-2020, 08:54 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. No one is being silenced. There's just strong disagreement.

2. Disobeying public health emergency orders is in no way an example of "thinking for yourself."
Number 2 is hilarious because, sadly, I hear it almost every day. It's absurdly baffling and oxymoronic. It should be re-worded to state, disobeying public health emergency orders is an example of "thinking OF yourself." It's selfish.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Number 2 is hilarious because, sadly, I hear it almost every day. It's absurdly baffling and oxymoronic. It should be re-worded to state, disobeying public health emergency orders is an example of "thinking OF yourself." It's selfish.
In fact, it's putting a very minor inconvenience to oneself (boo freaking hoo, you have to wear a mask in public, poor baby!) as more important than the risk of severe illness (and there are reports of long term disabilities as well, from complications) or death to other people.

I still say, lock 'em up! What do you think happened in trench warfare when someone refused to use the latrine? Bang! That's what happened.

We need some high profile cases, where the authorities do NOT wilt and reverse themselves. pour encourager les autres.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:09 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
This is factually incorrect. You are either parroting other factually incorrect or misleading statements or just spouting your own opinion. It may not be your fault: lots of confusing information has been put out, even by medical professionals. But statements like this are incorrect all the same.

The effectiveness is not always very high, depending on the mask, but it is greater than zero, with many, many applicable studies over the years to support this.

That's because the virus doesn't just float around in the air on its own. It's always attached to a droplet or a particle, so a mask that filters out particles considerably larger than the virus can have some degree of effectiveness.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:28 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's because the virus doesn't just float around in the air on its own. It's always attached to a droplet or a particle, so a mask that filters out particles considerably larger than the virus can have some degree of effectiveness.
Yes, the fact that it primarily exists in the larger droplet form is part of it. This is one reason face coverings do a great job on people who are already sick.

But the aerosol form (similar to the virus floating around on its own in terms of size) does exist and is significantly smaller.

However, the act of diffusion still allows the capture of these nanoparticles, even when they are technically smaller than the openings of the fabrics. This is particularly noticeable in multi-layered face coverings. And this is the important effect that many people do not realize: filtration like this is not binary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas