Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Maybe if all this lock down restriction works we can lock down peoples freedom to use their cars also and cut down on the 4,000 people killed on Texas Highways every year.

Only use your vehicle for Essential uses... work, food, store and home.

Maybe Judge Clay can declare it an emergency and throw violators in jail.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:03 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
"Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday retroactively eliminating jail time for citizens who violate the state's stay-at-home rules, freeing salon owner Shelley Luther, who was jailed for seven days and fined $7,000 for reopening her business against court orders."

https://disrn.com/news/tx-gov-abbott...ther-from-jail

Old 05-07-2020, 01:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
"Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday retroactively eliminating jail time for citizens who violate the state's stay-at-home rules, freeing salon owner Shelley Luther, who was jailed for seven days and fined $7,000 for reopening her business against court orders."

I agree with this decision. The Texas Supreme Court has ordered her to be released. She should not be in jail.

In the last year, there have been 2 questionable judges in Dallas County criminal courts in high profile cases. Texas needs to end judicial elections. Judges should be appointed to the bench in criminal courts on the basis of legal merit by a non-partisan committee, not elected. These judges get elected based on down ballot affiliation. No individual voter has the time to examine jurisprudence philosophies. The Texas Supreme Court judges should be appointed by the Governor of Texas.

Shelley Luther is trying to keep her business alive. She's also trying to help her employees feed their families.

Last edited by RJ312; 05-07-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 01:34 PM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
While I found the judge's decision to put her in jail extreme, I did not like her route to "stick it to the man." I also don't care for Gov. Abbott getting involved. Texas government screams about smaller government from the federal level, yet they keep sticking their nose into local business. Also, didn't Gov. Abbott put this order in place? Now, he's saying you won't get in trouble for defying the order?

Last edited by NTXPerson; 05-07-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
Quote:

This is interesting.

The next time some kid in some disadvantaged neighborhood somewhere gets arrested (or killed) for daring to question authority- I hope the governor will be so gracious.

There are those that are expected to unquestioningly follow “the law” or face consequences up to and including death. Then there’s those to whom those same laws are a suggestion and in the end can do whatever they please with no consequences.

Aint America great.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:48 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:

It's not all about the Dallas woman either, these two ladies were looking at 180 days (they were out on bond)

"It may also ensure that other Texans like Ana Isabel Castro-Garcia and Brenda Stephanie Mata who were arrested in Laredo, should not be subject to confinement. As some county judges advocate for releasing hardened criminals from jail to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it is absurd to have these business owners take their place.”

Old 05-07-2020, 02:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Tomorrow is the official reopening date for hair salons and barber shops for the state. Are hair salons and barber shops allowed to open in Dallas, Denton and Collin counties?

Gov. Abbott Says Texas Salons And Barbershops Can Reopen Friday
https://www.keranews.org/post/gov-ab...-reopen-friday

Anybody planning on going in tomorrow?

Old 05-07-2020, 02:39 PM

516 posts, read 451,109 times
Yes, they are allowed to open all over the state tomorrow no matter the local orders.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
Not me.

I’ll let y’all test those waters. Also who cares when the order says they can open, those “orders” have no teeth. They dont have to follow them. Anyone that wants to open and pack their salon/restaurant, bar or other business can and should.

Precedent has been set and nothing will happen to them. And if it does, they should make a whole lot of noise about it.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 05-07-2020 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Format

Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM

451 posts, read 320,386 times
For all my DFW friends, I just wanted to share this post and the article. It is quite insightful.

Originally Posted by SimplySagacious
I eat an anti-inflammatory diet. It does wonders for chronic inflammation in people with chronic illnesses (diabetes, arthritis, and many more). There are many, many anti-inflammatory foods --- the more you include the better --- and it's important to avoid or restrict inflammatory foods. Tips here: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320233

Healthful diet, adequate sleep, moderate physical activity and reduce stress --- these things have been recommended for years to support the immune system because not doing them weakens it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas