Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 10:45 AM

15,533 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

As I was driving out of the tent to get in the observation lane, Denton County texted thanking me for attending my Covid 19 vaccine appointment and additional info about scheduling reminder for the 2nd dose (Feb 25 on card). I doubt it was 60 seconds after they jabbed me, their communication is excellent.

Last edited by elan; 02-05-2021 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 10:53 AM

554 posts, read 684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Good post.

As you alluded earlier the powers that be in Dallas had good intentions but devised a plan that encouraged inequitable distribution in the name of equity.....that kind of logic never works well. Public health should be about hard science and statistics and best current thoughts from the local medical community not what the loudest Dallas County Commissioners desire.

Denton County made its vax effort efficient/numbers based morphing into something of a national model.

Dallas made it about other things and the effort is bureaucratic at best. Another way to think about it......Denton County organized its efforts much as a business would. Dallas County the opposite.
The DMN had an interesting article about the differing philosophies: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021...ccine-efforts/

Denton's county's take on getting it out quickly when in short supply while focusing on equity once supply was more plentiful was interesting...I also think their hiring of outside consultants was wise. Looks like Dallas is trying to adopt some of Denton's strategies.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:56 AM

554 posts, read 684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
As I was driving out of the tent to get in the observation lane, Denton County texted thanking me for attending my Covid 19 vaccine appointment and additional info about scheduling for the 2nd dose. I doubt it was 60 seconds after they jabbed me, their communication is excellent.
Right? That part was amazing (albeit almost creepy in its efficiency!) Their communication the whole way through was unlike any of the other counties in which we were registered, which made me wonder if it was our best chance - turned out it was!

Old 02-05-2021, 11:31 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Got my first vax for the virus yesterday at Baylor Frisco. Very smooth high thru put site. Shot was a non event for me in that it was a no pain operation by any measure. I live a little over 5 miles from the site near Ford Center. I got back home in just a little over an hour start to finish. They used a vacant floor with a base plate of about 40k for the process. I counted as people were existing as I waited by 15 minutes. A person/couple were exiting one patient every 10 seconds. So 6 shots a minute or 360 per hour. Or about 3.5k per 10 hour day. Baylor has 8 sites in DFW per my primary care Dr. So Baylor alone is doing just under 30k a week across the metro.

Run very smoothly for its size. Well done Baylor.

Left with an appointment for the second shot in 3 weeks as well same place. Wife is very high risk with an impaired immune system and on some pretty powerful meds for her RA. She takes an annual 10 hour infusion over 2 weeks that lasts the year. Until the infusion runs down after 6 months, the vax wont protect her as the med will kill off B cells with the instructions to fight the virus. So another 6 months of isolation at home but at least I can shop carefully with protection and not get it hopefully

Old 02-05-2021, 11:59 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Got my first vax for the virus yesterday at Baylor Frisco. Very smooth high thru put site. Shot was a non event for me in that it was a no pain operation by any measure. I live a little over 5 miles from the site near Ford Center. I got back home in just a little over an hour start to finish. They used a vacant floor with a base plate of about 40k for the process. I counted as people were existing as I waited by 15 minutes. A person/couple were exiting one patient every 10 seconds. So 6 shots a minute or 360 per hour. Or about 3.5k per 10 hour day. Baylor has 8 sites in DFW per my primary care Dr. So Baylor alone is doing just under 30k a week across the metro.

Run very smoothly for its size. Well done Baylor.

Left with an appointment for the second shot in 3 weeks as well same place. Wife is very high risk with an impaired immune system and on some pretty powerful meds for her RA. She takes an annual 10 hour infusion over 2 weeks that lasts the year. Until the infusion runs down after 6 months, the vax wont protect her as the med will kill off B cells with the instructions to fight the virus. So another 6 months of isolation at home but at least I can shop carefully with protection and not get it hopefully
Best of luck to you both. I'm guessing all this has already been really tough on your wife.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:01 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdragon8212 View Post
the dmn had an interesting article about the differing philosophies: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021...ccine-efforts/

denton's county's take on getting it out quickly when in short supply while focusing on equity once supply was more plentiful was interesting...i also think their hiring of outside consultants was wise. Looks like dallas is trying to adopt some of denton's strategies.
+1.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yeah, everything is a risk factor. Life is a risk factor. More people will die stratifying the population, with politicians and bureaucrats in charge, then just getting arms presented and stuck. This is a cluster-eff. I don’t care about everyone’s need claim. Humanity is the need claim. We need maximum doses in maximum people and I don’t care about your race, income, weight, or why you think you’re special or at some perceived higher risk.
Gov. Hot Wheels has been on his 7-year plans since the lockdown era. He was too busy overriding local control to consolidate power like a mad Maoist.

I think the fiat's segmentation of groups 1A and 1B are misguided. I heard yesterday that the biggest spreaders are 20-49 year olds. Give the young and middle-aged the vaccine and nip the spread in the bud! You won't risk a mutation to a more communicable or deadly form of the virus.

But then the people running the state government are conservatives--not exactly known for out-of-the-box thinking! But this governor was pressured to return to normal by extremists--because the economy mattered more than lives. People, mostly young and middle-aged, going to school/workplace and taking transit daily to those places are opportunities to spread the virus.

Anyway, the current group segmentation should be discarded and instead vaccinate the likely spreaders to reflect the recent findings of that study.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:06 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Best of luck to you both. I'm guessing all this has already been really tough on your wife.
Thanks we are doing good. Both are homebodies so not that hard to isolate at home. Miss seeing Oklahoma family but we talk more often that helps

Hope your year and family are good

Old 02-07-2021, 09:42 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Well, my wife and I are scheduled for noon today at the McKenny ISD stadium (group 1B).

The closer Plano location had us at 3800 on their waiting list when I got an email Thursday offering vaccination opportunities in McKenny. Online appointment sign-up was quick and efficient.

However...if I want to be persnickety about it, the McKenny system does favor those who are at least basically Internet savvy.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:34 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
US Rep Ronald Wright passed away in Dallas. Part of his district is in DFW.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/rep-...-of-covid.html
Quote:
Rep. Ron Wright died Sunday weeks after contracting Covid-19, his office said Monday.

The Texas Republican was 67. Wright, who first took office in 2019, underwent treatment in recent years for lung cancer diagnosed in 2018.

He and his wife, Susan, were hospitalized in Dallas for two weeks prior to the congressman’s death while fighting the disease. The congressman announced he tested positive for Covid-19 on Jan. 21.

“As friends, family, and many of his constituents will know, Ron maintained his quick wit and optimism until the very end,” Wright’s office said in a statement. “Despite years of painful, sometimes debilitating treatment for cancer, Ron never lacked the desire to get up and go to work, to motivate those around him, or to offer fatherly advice.”

Wright is the first sitting member of Congress to die after contracting Covid-19. Luke Letlow, a Louisiana Republican elected to the House last year, died in late December from Covid-19 complications before he took office.

At least 71 representatives and senators have been diagnosed with Covid-19, according to GovTrack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas