Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 11:14 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No, it does’t distinguish between rich and poor but if you look at the maps of Covid cases in DFW (or probably any other place in the US), the low income zip codes have been hit the hardest. The highest numbers - by far - are south of I-30 and in the low income pockets of northeast Dallas and northwest Dallas.

Those are zip codes where residents are at high risk of contracting the virus due to in-person jobs (frontline & essential workers, domestic labor, construction, factory/warehouse, etc), higher rate of multi-generational housing. Plus higher rates of residents without health insurance, primary care doctor, ESL, etc so when they do get it...it’s worse. Also higher rates of comorbidities.

Wealthier zip codes tend to have a much higher rate of WFH jobs and better access to healthcare. YET - those are the zip codes who have the highest vax rates.

Inequality is REAL and COVID is shining a light on this huge problem’s effect on every aspect of life, from making a living to healthcare access to internet access and education gaps, etc etc etc.

Incompetence is also REAL and the failure of the Trump administration AND the State of Texas (since vax plans were left to the states) to devise a plan AND educate the public about how they will get their vax notifications is a complete and total disaster. Which is why a Dallas commissioner made a mis-guided recommendation to prioritize certain zip codes. His motives weren’t wrong even if it wasn’t the right (or legal) thing to do.

The CDC should have been given the resources to run a HUGE vaccination education campaign on TV/web/radio/print/city busses/etc starting last summer when it was apparent vaccines would be approved in Q4. The campaign should have included the critical information of 1) how to register, 2) how you would be informed about when it was time for your vax & where to go, 3) vaccine safety vs virus risk. And then - my opinion- should have been vaxxed in priority group order, by lottery.

We should not be 40+ days after vaccinations were Approved and in this kind of information cluster**** where it’s every man for himself.
I don’t recognize that anyone should have an edge over another in getting vaccinated by virtue of the fact that he is lower income or of a certain race or lives in a crowded area. Fairness demands that we open up the vaccine and make it first-come first served take a number wait your turn. Everyone is of equal intrinsic value and everyone should have an equal chance at getting vaccinated. This subdividing of people into special classes and subdivisions is incorrect and is wasting time and causing additional unnecessary death. The quickest path to herd immunity is the most vaccines in the most arms.

Just set up a website, everybody signs up, the random number generator button is pressed, an individual is selected, and we stick him. No special groups, no one has any more value or importance than anyone else, all men are created equal, period.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:25 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I don’t recognize that anyone should have an edge over another in getting vaccinated by virtue of the fact that he is lower income or of a certain race or lives in a crowded area. Fairness demands that we open up the vaccine and make it first-come first served take a number wait your turn. Everyone is of equal intrinsic value and everyone should have an equal chance at getting vaccinated. This subdividing of people into special classes and subdivisions is incorrect and is wasting time and causing additional unnecessary death. The quickest path to herd immunity is the most vaccines in the most arms.

Just set up a website, everybody signs up, the random number generator button is pressed, an individual is selected, and we stick him. No special groups, no one has any more value or importance than anyone else, all men are created equal, period.

LOL

All men are created equal... but not all people have the same mortality rates or have jobs that require them to work with people. Your way may be fair, but it surely isn't smart.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:33 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
My parents are both in Tarrant Co and have gotten their first shots. They are both in the "age only" group as they are super healthy and have no underlying conditions. My FIL and his wife, also in Tarrant, haven't gotten their call but for whatever reason they didn't sign up as promptly as my folks did.
Since we are allowed, I signed up in Tarrant County last week. I'm right on their border anyway, about a mile from it. They have already sent me two emails, no appointment yet, but their process seems far superior to that of Dallas County. Dallas County likes to argue and play games, our county leadership is pathetic.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

You’re confusing each person’s equal value as a human being with each person’s individual risk factor for contracting COVID and risk of hospitalization / death.

Fighting the virus means prioritizing those at highest risk of contracting and spreading it. My checkout clerk at Target or my kid’s teacher need to be vaccinated before my banker who has been safely WFH since last March.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:07 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
No, it does’t distinguish between rich and poor but if you look at the maps of Covid cases in DFW (or probably any other place in the US), the low income zip codes have been hit the hardest. The highest numbers - by far - are south of I-30 and in the low income pockets of northeast Dallas and northwest Dallas.

Those are zip codes where residents are at high risk of contracting the virus due to in-person jobs (frontline & essential workers, domestic labor, construction, factory/warehouse, etc), higher rate of multi-generational housing. Plus higher rates of residents without health insurance, primary care doctor, ESL, etc so when they do get it...it’s worse. Also higher rates of comorbidities.

Wealthier zip codes tend to have a much higher rate of WFH jobs and better access to healthcare. YET - those are the zip codes who have the highest vax rates.

Inequality is REAL and COVID is shining a light on this huge problem’s effect on every aspect of life, from making a living to healthcare access to internet access and education gaps, etc etc etc.

Incompetence is also REAL and the failure of the Trump administration AND the State of Texas (since vax plans were left to the states) to devise a plan AND educate the public about how they will get their vax notifications is a complete and total disaster. Which is why a Dallas commissioner made a mis-guided recommendation to prioritize certain zip codes. His motives weren’t wrong even if it wasn’t the right (or legal) thing to do.

The CDC should have been given the resources to run a HUGE vaccination education campaign on TV/web/radio/print/city busses/etc starting last summer when it was apparent vaccines would be approved in Q4. The campaign should have included the critical information of 1) how to register, 2) how you would be informed about when it was time for your vax & where to go, 3) vaccine safety vs virus risk. And then - my opinion- should have been vaxxed in priority group order, by lottery.

We should not be 40+ days after vaccinations were Approved and in this kind of information cluster**** where it’s every man for himself.

Bashing Texas in this context is tough to support with anything other than emotion. As of a couple of days ago Texas had administered more vaccines than any state and was in a virtual tie with NY both having administered more than 55% of vaccines available and were the only big states in the top 15 in percentage vaccinated.

I'm just a guy on the internet, not a lawyer, not a doctor and I have zero access to the data our CC's see more or less live or daily. I knew immediately the Koch/Price plan would be shut down.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Bashing Texas in this context is tough to support with anything other than emotion. As of a couple of days ago Texas had administered more vaccines than any state and was in a virtual tie with NY both having administered more than 55% of vaccines available and were the only big states in the top 15 in percentage vaccinated.

I'm just a guy on the internet, not a lawyer, not a doctor and I have zero access to the data our CC's see more or less live or daily. I knew immediately the Koch/Price plan would be shut down.
I’m not bashing Texas’s ability to distribute the vaccines to providers but after that point, you have to admit this is a cluster****. It’s every man for himself out there. People in 1B are spending hours every day calling tons of random distributors trying to get appointments or see which ones actually have the vax in stock.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You’re confusing each person’s equal value as a human being with each person’s individual risk factor for contracting COVID and risk of hospitalization / death.

Fighting the virus means prioritizing those at highest risk of contracting and spreading it. My checkout clerk at Target or my kid’s teacher need to be vaccinated before my banker who has been safely WFH since last March.
I call bs. Your system of subdividing and prioritizing by politicians just resulted in someone directing vaccine doses according to race. He said his favorite people should get the vaccine first, not the “whiter“ people. There is no way to put people in classes accurately or assess risk accurately for each different type of job in the world, or by race, or by income. Just stick the needles in the arms at random first come first serve and herd immunity will protect everybody at maximum speed. I don’t accept race as a means of determining the distribution of vaccines.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL

All men are created equal... but not all people have the same mortality rates or have jobs that require them to work with people. Your way may be fair, but it surely isn't smart.
i disagree. The smartest way is simply to achieve herd immunity by vaccination at maximum speed. Letting the politicians fiddle about by determining this job is phase 1 and this job is phase 2 and this race is phase 3 and this and that and the other thing is a waste of time, and it results in people dying who wouldn’t have to if the herd immunity was achieved at maximum speed. No special treatment, no special classes, no discrimination. Everyone has the same chance at the vaccine. Everyone signs up the computer randomly selects and we get the needles in the arms.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I call bs. Your system of subdividing and prioritizing by politicians just resulted in someone directing vaccine doses according to race. He said his favorite people should get the vaccine first, not the “whiter“ people. There is no way to put people in classes accurately or assess risk accurately for each different type of job in the world, or by race, or by income. Just stick the needles in the arms at random first come first serve and herd immunity will protect everybody at maximum speed. I don’t accept race as a means of determining the distribution of vaccines.
1. I myself am white.

2. Please read my post again to see that not once did I mention RACE. Vulnerable people should be prioritized, regardless of where they live or what color they are.

3. Can you go back to trolling the NJ forums since that’s where you apparently live?

Old 01-23-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
1. I myself am white.

2. Please read my post again to see that not once did I mention RACE. Vulnerable people should be prioritized, regardless of where they live or what color they are.

3. Can you go back to trolling the NJ forums since that’s where you apparently live?
Who said anything about you mentioning race? Your commissioner in Dallas is the one who prioritized by race. Which is what happens when you have politicians deciding on who gets vaccinated and when. And the only people who I will classify as vulnerable are people 65 and up. They have the highest risk of dying. Not your kid, not his teacher, and not the supermarket worker.

Everyone under 65 should be in the same pool. And the vaccination schedule should not be subject to politicians wasting time putting their favorite people into classes and subdivisions. That kills more people than working in Walmart.

And this is a national issue not a state issue. So it is my business if a national news source cites an official in Dallas using race and income to decide on who gets vaccinated. I think he should be removed from office. For the good of Dallas, and for the good of the country.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 01-23-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas