Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

The state must reverse or amend this.....limiting what is supposed to be multi-county effort to a handful of zip codes in Dallas proper isn't going to pass any level of legal muster. As even Jenkins somewhat alludes.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:25 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The state must reverse or amend this.....limiting what is supposed to be multi-county effort to a handful of zip codes in Dallas proper isn't going to pass any level of legal muster. As even Jenkins somewhat alludes.
I'm in group 1B and signed up rather quickly, pretty sure it was the first day. I'm beyond furious.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:50 PM

516 posts, read 450,963 times
The Commissioners had an emergency meeting today and retracted their plan.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm in group 1B and signed up rather quickly, pretty sure it was the first day. I'm beyond furious.
I hope you get vaccinated ASAHP.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
The Commissioners had an emergency meeting today and retracted their plan.
Thanks. Just read a DMN story about this.

Apparently Judge Jenkins alerted the state about the commissioner's/Koch's policy changes. The state then threatened to withhold supply.

I guess it's back to the previous plan.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:59 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
My parents are both in Tarrant Co and have gotten their first shots. They are both in the "age only" group as they are super healthy and have no underlying conditions. My FIL and his wife, also in Tarrant, haven't gotten their call but for whatever reason they didn't sign up as promptly as my folks did.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:26 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
My parents are both in Tarrant Co and have gotten their first shots. They are both in the "age only" group as they are super healthy and have no underlying conditions.
The bad thing is that without some very significant testing, we don't know that we don't have an underlying condition, and the older we are the more likely we have such a condition even if we seem to be healthy.

But the overwhelming odds are that nearly everyone in the US will have contracted the disease within another year because it's so infectious, the vaccination process is moving so slowely, and Americans have so little discipline.

So we old people who seem healthy (like myself) have to weigh the odds: Contracting the disease is almost inevitable without the vaccine, and the odds of then becoming permanently disabled or dying are significant...but there is also a risk from the vaccine, which at this point seems to me a more acceptable risk than waiting to catch the disease.

The race is: Will I be able to get the vaccine before I get the disease?

Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Thanks. Just read a DMN story about this.

Apparently Judge Jenkins alerted the state about the commissioner's/Koch's policy changes. The state then threatened to withhold supply.

I guess it's back to the previous plan.

So this commissioner picked his favorite zip codes. And excluded others. How interesting.

The commissioner stated his rationale:
"Those that are over 75, those that have made it this far in life, are wealthier and Whiter. They tend to be those that are living in single-family homes, have enough wealth and ability to keep themselves properly segregated from other folks as to not get the disease," Koch said. "

So basically using race and income to determine who gets vaccinated.

Why does this commissioner still have a job?

Old 01-23-2021, 09:15 AM

227 posts, read 223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So this commissioner picked his favorite zip codes. And excluded others. How interesting.

The commissioner stated his rationale:
"Those that are over 75, those that have made it this far in life, are wealthier and Whiter. They tend to be those that are living in single-family homes, have enough wealth and ability to keep themselves properly segregated from other folks as to not get the disease," Koch said. "

So basically using race and income to determine who gets vaccinated.

Why does this commissioner still have a job?
Why do all these stupid people try to make more stupid choices. Just follow the general rule...the Virus doesn't distinguish between rich and poor

Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
Why do all these stupid people try to make more stupid choices. Just follow the general rule...the Virus doesn't distinguish between rich and poor
No, it does’t distinguish between rich and poor but if you look at the maps of Covid cases in DFW (or probably any other place in the US), the low income zip codes have been hit the hardest. The highest numbers - by far - are south of I-30 and in the low income pockets of northeast Dallas and northwest Dallas.

Those are zip codes where residents are at high risk of contracting the virus due to in-person jobs (frontline & essential workers, domestic labor, construction, factory/warehouse, etc), higher rate of multi-generational housing. Plus higher rates of residents without health insurance, primary care doctor, ESL, etc so when they do get it...it’s worse. Also higher rates of comorbidities.

Wealthier zip codes tend to have a much higher rate of WFH jobs and better access to healthcare. YET - those are the zip codes who have the highest vax rates.

Inequality is REAL and COVID is shining a light on this huge problem’s effect on every aspect of life, from making a living to healthcare access to internet access and education gaps, etc etc etc.

Incompetence is also REAL and the failure of the Trump administration AND the State of Texas (since vax plans were left to the states) to devise a plan AND educate the public about how they will get their vax notifications is a complete and total disaster. Which is why a Dallas commissioner made a mis-guided recommendation to prioritize certain zip codes. His motives weren’t wrong even if it wasn’t the right (or legal) thing to do.

The CDC should have been given the resources to run a HUGE vaccination education campaign on TV/web/radio/print/city busses/etc starting last summer when it was apparent vaccines would be approved in Q4. The campaign should have included the critical information of 1) how to register, 2) how you would be informed about when it was time for your vax & where to go, 3) vaccine safety vs virus risk. And then - my opinion- should have been vaxxed in priority group order, by lottery.

We should not be 40+ days after vaccinations were Approved and in this kind of information cluster**** where it’s every man for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas