Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 06:31 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,519 times

Advertisements

He didn't get a trial! He didn't even get indicted! Where are you getting this erroneous information?

In your other post, #20, you mention something about a "massive fake machine gun". I googled that and got nothing. Please cite your reference to this massive fake machine gun. I doubt that you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
He did get a trial, and from what I've read, it was extensive and very methodical. Just because you already have a pre-conceived idea of what constitutes a "just" outcome does not mean that you should get what you want. You are not privy to the details that were presented to the jury, and you are not part of the process. It's ridiculous to protest when you don't get what you want; that is not how our system works.

Also, while technically a "boy", he did not act like a "boy" in the most classical sense of the word. He intimidated and threatened a hapless store clerk, and he then did the same to a police officer. Do you think Michael Brown should go through life intimidating and bullying other people to get what he wants? I laugh when his parents make the TV circuit talking about the pain of losing their son. All I see is a set of parents who have failed because they raised a huge and dangerous thug. If he was a nice kid who did not rob a store minutes before this encounter, and who actually listened to the cop to get off the street...he would be very much alive today. Why did he try to fight the police? Couldn't he have just listened and get off the road? Many people, White, Asian, Hispanic, Martians etc are told to get off the road by the police everyday all across America, not just blacks.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
While the discourse has been about race...what about parenting, and specifically bad parenting? I am not a parent, but it seems to me that Brown's thuggish behavior robbing a store and his attempt to intimidate the police stem at least in part from a failure by his parents. Do parents take responsibility of their kids anymore? Or is it easier to just blame others?

In the same way, where were the parents of that 12 yo boy with that massive fake machine gun? Who gave this boy a toy gun with the orange toy indicator SCRATCHED off?

Parenting, anyone?
If you know anything about parenting, you know that you can teach a child what you want to teach them but there is no guarantee that the lessons will stick. EVERY child has his/her own personality and eventually makes his/her own decisions. When the child knows that there may be consequences involved as a follow up to their actions, eventually that child will make a judgement as to whether the payoff for committing the act outweighs the possible consequences for committing the act. This is beyond the control of parenting. My older sister was a model child. From a parenting standpoint, I was hell to raise because I did what I wanted to do despite knowing what the consequences would be. We had exactly the same parenting. Were my parents great parents because of my sister's behavior and bad parents because of my behavior? It's not always about the parenting. My parents DID take responsibility for us. You fail to understand that there is only so much a parent can do.

I know of several families where one child walked a straight and narrow path, and another child was constantly in conflict with 'the standards acceptable behaviors', or even with the law.

You going to blame parenting for that? They had the same parenting. They simply made different choices.

Aside from that, what do you know about what kind of parents Michael Brown had??

Old 11-27-2014, 07:06 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I think many white people are capable of standing up and showing their support without needing to be "one of you". Same goes for people who put "support our troups" on their cars, or whites supporting a path to legalization, or men standing up in favor of a woman's feedom of choice. They aren't trying to "be" marines, Mexicans and females. They're simply demonstrating their support and empathy for struggles other people suffer.
Exactly. I am straight but I support gay rights.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,599 times
As an African American, I'd tell these White people to go home to their well to do families and stop pretending that they know what it's like to be oppressed. This isn't their fight and they're not helping.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
As a black man, i just wonder why they would get involved with such a dumb cause. A rebellious man , who just commited a felony at a store, got into an altercation with a cop (another felony) and it didnt turn out well. Why is anybody surprised.

If they wanna march with blacks, at least save the effort for when its someone truly innocent.

Exactly. Now if he was just coming home from the school he was supposed to have been going to, and stopped in the grocery store to BUY a pack of Swishers. Leaves the grocery store, walking home, cop confronts him "hey you, you're that robber guy described over the radio, hands on the car NOWWW!!" He tries to explain he's not the suspect, cop freaks out and guns him down....I can totally see protesting a situation like that.

He ripped off a grocery store, confronted a police officer, charged him and went for his gun. Sorry. You paid the price for your actions.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Dear Brown family.... You should have had your son watch this video a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,536,801 times
Default Lets talk about Ferguson

Post your thoughts here

Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 PM

777 posts, read 882,528 times
Please stop the parade!

Lip synching musicians playing
guitars with invisible amps while
surrounded by gingerbread
people and rolling pins dancing
to the (auto) tune are stuff of
nightmares.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 PM

687 posts, read 916,542 times
An interesting choice of Martyrs from what I can tell.

The media painted a pretty narrative didn't it though? In every utterance Michael Brown was "unarmed". In every sentence he was a "teen". In every statement he was "young black...etc."

When describing Darren Wilson the media said "White police officer" instead of just police officer. In every opportunity they said "killing" which is a rather strong term. At least "murder" wasn't used often.

When describing the protesters they say: "seeking justice" which is a rather loaded statement that implies that justice somehow wasn't done by a grand jury of 12 who deliberated for months, questioned all witnesses, heard & saw tapes of their original and subsequent testimonies, who saw all of the evidence....and determined that it was indeed justified. Justice was done.

In every presentation by CNN and MSNBC NOT ONE utterance was made to the fact that Michael Brown had just robbed a convenience store.

Not one mention of him possibly having gone into the police cruiser to assault the officer as some witness and phone called suggested; a fact which was verified on riot night when the prosecutor detailed that this actually did happen. Not only that but the blood on the inside of the vehicle from both gentlemen seems to make this an open and shut case.

So the uninformed and biased blacks of this country and the hipster idiot white kids who think they're out there earning "i love black people" brownie points are just making fools of themselves. Let them riot, let them burn their own shops down. The world was watching....and the world lost sympathy for their cause. There was never much of a cause to begin with.

Meanwhile thousands of blacks have killed other blacks since the incident in cities throughout the US, many of them younger than Mr. Brown and yet not one mention of this is made by the mainstream cable media.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,333,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exactly. I am straight but I support gay rights.
Ahh I forgot that one. Yes, I also am a big supporter of gay rights. I have many friends who are gay. Never do I want to "be one of them". I'm happy just being their hetero friend. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events