Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,906,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
I agree and that's why I can't work for any company that barely values their employees safety (Mainly all of them)..

I think a lot of districts got caught with their pants down on Friday and went to school, then dismissed early into a huge mess and then the storm ended up being worse then expected. So all the weather people had to do was say Nor'Easter and schools closed instantly.
Agree with you on both counts!

I think for those south of 287/Merritt for which this hasn't stuck too well to cars and pavement, the next couple of hours when we lose the "March sun angle" will determine how tomorrow fares. Some on the TV are saying in that short time we may triple the totals we have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Cam for real, after reading and digesting everying you saw today and knowing what’s still in store for us to come — what’s your best guess estimate for this part of the state? 2 feet, or is that an overly harsh estimate?
I will keep going out there with my measuring stick every hour to let you know, if you want
6 here in Bethel now...how the hell do you have 13? But the yardstick doesnt lie..and the wind is not really a factor so.....just wow.. elevation elevation elevation !!!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Thundersnow in Waterbury and New Haven.

That pink band over Long Island will hit I-95 in 30 minutes or so. Intense snow rates under there.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thundersnow in Waterbury and New Haven.

That pink band over Long Island will hit I-95 in 30 minutes or so. Intense snow rates under there.

The interesting thing about this snow for some areas is it may be the last 2-3 hours where the bulk of the accumulating snow falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don’t come in sick, but it’s been some time since I’ve been under the weather (knock on wood). I love what I do, and it’s a very high performance culture. Cut throat to many but some thrive on that. I took a train in today, not sure what risks I am subjecting others to. Running on time and still running 2x an hour during off-peak. I would’ve bowed out sooner if I saw the calamity some were calling for but it hasn’t materialized yet. So instead I worked a productive 8-3:30 day.
All too many people feel they need to come in sick or face consequences from management and though not always, more often than not it is not simply needless paranoia. I will grant to you that because most people take trains and subways, NYC is a little different than other areas, even ones immediately outside the city, my comment on making people drive was more general, though if by you coming in people are going out on the roads to your company, my point is valid (but being NYC, I doubt many do though and if they do and have the option of a train, today is certainly a good day to do that). But I worked for many years at a company well into the northern suburbs where the boss would think everyone could make it in just because he lived 1/2 mile away even though many people lived as far as 30 or 40 miles away (it was a place where he could afford to live nearby but most of his subordinates couldn't), he docked a vacation day from people who did not come in the day after (not the day of, which he was closed) the big blizzard of January 1996 (even though about 80% of the firm did not come in since they needed the whole day to get 3 feet of snow off their cars and driveways) to give an example.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,426,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Why does CT make up its own name for the storm?? It's called Quinn but CT calls it Elsa LOL
Because there is no such thing as naming nor’easters or snowstorms in meteorology. It’s something local news and the Westhet Channel does to fuel their hype of the storm. NOAA and other government offices have actually asked them not to.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Because there is no such thing as naming nor’easters or snowstorms in meteorology. It’s something local news and the Westhet Channel does to fuel their hype of the storm. NOAA and other government offices have actually asked them not to.
Until the Weather Channel did it the only two places I had ever heard of in the US that did so was Channel 3 of Hartford (which is why they have different names than the Weather Channel) and despite that the NWS begged TWC not to do so, the Buffalo office of the NWS, which names Lake Effect storms affecting Buffalo and Rochester (but not Syracuse as they are handled by the NWS Binghamton office).

By the way, look at this chart from the Philly area in the varying amount of snow totals. One indication of the banding, where it lists "Philadelphia County" (basically the city limits of Philly itself), the official NWS station at the airport only shows 1.5 inches, but some neighborhoods measuring just 2 hours later showed up to 8 inches!

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forec...PNSPHI&wfo=phi

Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,959,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Nor'easter Storm Dan Malloy

Old 03-07-2018, 03:43 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Holy crap. Intense snow rates and trees snapping and falling. Not good out there!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:44 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,959,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Holy crap. Intense snow rates and trees snapping and falling. Not good out there!

Rumor to be third nor'easter on Monday evening into Tuesday March 12-13

Old 03-07-2018, 03:52 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,788,439 times
Power going in and out here!! Schools already starting to delay/close..

this list will be updated soon

IAN School Cancellations | Connecticut Weather, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut