Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
West Hartford is booming .

“New restaurants are popping up in Elmwood Center, along New Park Avenue, at Blue Back Square, West Hartford Center and Bishops Corner. A new 114-room full-service hotel has just opened up and there are now more than 1,400 open-air restaurant seats throughout West Hartford.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html
Thanks for posting that article!

I am getting read to move to the area and this thread, seeing the differences between Hartford and West Hartford have been very helpful so far. I was thinking of renting in downtown Hartford, but it does not seem like things are really happening there yet. I've seen all those ads for luxury apartments (I live in one now in NYC). But it sounds like West Hartford has more going on, and more community perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I was looking for the post made recently where someone was saying downtown Hartford was dead on a weekend night but could not find it. We were downtown for a show at Theaterworks tonight and there were people out and about. It was not midtown Manhattan busy but there were people around. And it was a cold and drizzly night. Not sure what people expect. Jay

Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginarsnape View Post
Thanks for posting that article!

I am getting read to move to the area and this thread, seeing the differences between Hartford and West Hartford have been very helpful so far. I was thinking of renting in downtown Hartford, but it does not seem like things are really happening there yet. I've seen all those ads for luxury apartments (I live in one now in NYC). But it sounds like West Hartford has more going on, and more community perhaps.
West Hartford does have a lot going on but I believe people perceive more happening there is because West Hartford Center is more compact. It does have one of the best restaurant scenes in the state plus lots of shops. You will pay a premium to live there. Jay

Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 PM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Are there any plans to develop the several parking lots within a 15 minute walk of Hartford Union Station? It seems like that’d make a big difference in ridership for the coming Hartford Line.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
There are many things going on in Hartford all the time. It is a very diverse community and there are a lot of community organizations that are very active. One just has to look and they will find there are a great many things to do for a variety of interests. Additionally, Hartford is a hub. For example, Elizabeth Park is a premiere park. Although much of it is physically located in West Hartford it is a City of Hartford park. A similar situation exists with Keney Park golf course, a premiere golf course located in both Hartford and Windsor. When people bash Hartford and the money they spend they don't realize that many of the benefits extend beyond its physical borders.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM

413 posts, read 317,993 times
Parkville Market "food hall." This is an interesting proposal. Like all things Hartford, press releases and reality are two different things but this is a concept that has been successful elsewhere.

It would be steps from the fasttack station, have a rooftop bar and dozens of food stalls. Carlos Mouta owns hundreds of thousands of square feet in the neighborhood and this amenity would support his previous investments. It is the kind of development that adds activity and interest to the city.

Hartford’s Parkville whets developer’s ‘food-hall’ appetite | HartfordBusiness.com

The building is located at 1400 Park Street.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:13 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
There is a new apt building going up next to one of the Fast Track stations in West Hartford or Hartford, I don't remember which, but I think the building is called 616 New Park ?

If the rents were reasonable, that would be a super convenient location for someone working in downtown Hartford.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
There is a new apt building going up next to one of the Fast Track stations in West Hartford or Hartford, I don't remember which, but I think the building is called 616 New Park ?

If the rents were reasonable, that would be a super convenient location for someone working in downtown Hartford.
New Park isn't exactly oozing ambiance. I'm kind of wondering if you could build enough in that neighborhood to hit critical mass where you have the mixed use space everyone is looking for?

Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
New Park isn't exactly oozing ambiance. I'm kind of wondering if you could build enough in that neighborhood to hit critical mass where you have the mixed use space everyone is looking for?

New Park Ave has come a long way in the last 15 years. It was never a dangerous, high-crime area, but for years the empty buildings where former manufacturers once stood began to make the street look like an eyesore and it was, for lack of a better phrase, a dump. It’s still not that nice aesthetically, but there’s been a ton of businesses that have popped up lately that’s helped spruce up the area. Not just restauraunts, but bakeries (Hartford Baking Company), grocery stores (including ALDI), gyms (Excel Fitness), even a microbrewery which has been making a killing since the day it opened a year ago. All of this is positive because it’s encouraged people to venture onto a street that previously they had no reason to go to.

The most frustrating thing about NPA is that Malloy has reneged on his pledge to give us a rail stop as part of the New Haven-Springfield rail. We were counting on this and were looking forward to it, and now we’re not getting it. At this point we should be used to this administration hosing us, but this is particularly bad. It would have been a good centerpeice to all this new development, and would have encouraged development to continue.

The biggest question I have re: NPA is what will happen to those empty brownfields when there’s nothing left to build on? Because we’re getting there fast, and there’s a lot of potential if those sapces were de-contaminated and out to use.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
I use the Indian grocery store on New Park all the time. I’ve never been in that original Hartford Baking Company building. They bake off site in Bloomfield so there isn’t any incentive to drive across town. Their baguette is a pretty good approximation of a real French one. It will be interesting to see if the street evolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut